What do you do?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I was actually asked decent technical questions that pertained (I think) to the job I will be doing. They were generally open ended with multiple right answers, which if I were in the position to hire a systems engineer I'd ask in a similar way. I actually interviewed for a regular old systems engineer position, but they bumped my position up to senior because of the salary I wanted so I didn't have to come in at the very top of the pay scale with no room for raises. I definitely appreciated that.

It's funny, all the developer positions I've interviewed for (which is only two, didn't get an offer on one and turned down the other) always seem to ask me to either mock up a quicksort algorithm or reverse the order of a linked list. I really wish I could have pursued OS development but every company I'm interested in wants a fuck ton of open source contributions to even consider you and I just don't have the time for that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Same here Alavaz. My requested salary was higher than the level I interviewed for so they bumped me to senior

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Easily the most comprehensive interview of my career. Holy shit.

Never felt out of my depth though. At the moment I'm feeling cautious optimism.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Well, I assume. The trio i met were all top notch interviewers. If something went wrong i wouldn't know.

The hiring manager complimented me on being the most prepared person he'd ever interviewed in terms of handouts. I assume that's a good thing.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Well, I assume. The trio i met were all top notch interviewers. If something went wrong i wouldn't know.

The hiring manager complimented me on being the most prepared person he'd ever interviewed in terms of handouts. I assume that's a good thing.
Can't see how it would be otherwise. On the topic of interviews, a lot of the interviews conducted for openings at my company happen in this little conference room that that has floor to ceiling glass facing into a group of about 25 cubicles. One of them is mine, and it's pretty amusing to walk by as an interview is going on and to know if that person is going to get hired based on the CEO's face.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Recruiter emailed me to schedule a phone call tomorrow, but didn't tell me a decision either way.

I'm taking this as a positive for now. It seems like "Hey thanks but we're going another direction" could have just been an email.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Were you the one that wasn't sure if they'd move for this job?

Have you been thinking about it? Usually when an offer is extended they move quick. In my experience anyways.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah. Though now that I'm home and spent so long preparing, and genuinely felt like I did well a rejection would be pretty crushing. I canceled weekend plans, spent around 20-30 hours building a presentation for the pre-interview exercise, and haven't really slept since Sunday because I'm having to catch back up on work for the two jobs I currently have.

It's only a 5 minute call, which feels ominous. Especially because I have to get up in front of an audience of around 40 and teach a class less than half an hour later. I did mention that when scheduling, so I'm hoping he'd take a later time slot out of sheer politeness to deliver bad news.

Christ I'm anxious. If I'm out of the running I wish they'd just tell me via email. Having to sleep on it one more night feels terrible.

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah. Though now that I'm home and spent so long preparing, and genuinely felt like I did well a rejection would be pretty crushing. I canceled weekend plans, spent around 20-30 hours building a presentation for the pre-interview exercise, and haven't really slept since Sunday because I'm having to catch back up on work for the two jobs I currently have.

It's only a 5 minute call, which feels ominous. Especially because I have to get up in front of an audience of around 40 and teach a class less than half an hour later. I did mention that when scheduling, so I'm hoping he'd take a later time slot out of sheer politeness to deliver bad news.

Christ I'm anxious. If I'm out of the running I wish they'd just tell me via email. Having to sleep on it one more night feels terrible.

Do companies usually schedule rejection phone calls? I think Tenks has it right.

Rooting for ya brah!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It apparently happens with big tech companies. I would rather just get an email, especially vs. a call in the middle of the work day.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I always love that. "Do you have have time for a call?". I'm at fucking work, you want me to talk to you about another job whilst on location for my current one? Fuck off, call me tonight.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Meeting with my old boss and co-worker tomorrow about his ideas of why I should take less money to come back and eventually supplant him as IT manager at my old company. I'm having anxiety about me potentially launching into a Festivus-style Airing of the Grievances.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
So it was good news! Just not an offer yet.

I did very well and got a unanimous recommendation to hire from all of my interviewers. They have one more candidate scheduled to fly out next week, so in fairness to them they're completing the process before making an offer. If that decision isn't unanimous, the job will go to me. If it is, they'll have to make a decision between us both.

So! All very exciting, just not quite to the end of the process yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users