What vehicle do you drive?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Going to look at an Elantra N tomorrow. Excited to see it in person. Just had a baby and my Elantra GT Sport(hatchback) has a tight backseat for the rear facing babyseat.

Little bummed its an 8 speed DCT, but it mean my wife can drive it, makes it a bit of an easier sell. This will be my first daily driver automatic. Only automatic vehicle I've ever owned is my truck for dump, hardware, and landscaping runs.

While at the dealership gonna look at stuff for my Wife, Tuscon, or Ioniq, she has a 2012 accent with 130k, but shes been 100% WFH since Covid started, shes adding 2-3k miles per year.

As an aside for anyone questioning Hyundai product quality. We live in new england, her car is immaculate underneath. I had to repair a stud on an exhaust flange last year (to be expected) Her chassis is insanely clean, 0 rust, can still see all the seam sealer. Even the suspension is in clean with only very mild surface rust.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Going to look at an Elantra N tomorrow. Excited to see it in person. Just had a baby and my Elantra GT Sport(hatchback) has a tight backseat for the rear facing babyseat.

Little bummed its an 8 speed DCT, but it mean my wife can drive it, makes it a bit of an easier sell. This will be my first daily driver automatic. Only automatic vehicle I've ever owned is my truck for dump, hardware, and landscaping runs.

While at the dealership gonna look at stuff for my Wife, Tuscon, or Ioniq, she has a 2012 accent with 130k, but shes been 100% WFH since Covid started, shes adding 2-3k miles per year.

As an aside for anyone questioning Hyundai product quality. We live in new england, her car is immaculate underneath. I had to repair a stud on an exhaust flange last year (to be expected) Her chassis is insanely clean, 0 rust, can still see all the seam sealer. Even the suspension is in clean with only very mild surface rust.

It comes in a manual, if that's what you really want. Or, do they simply not have one in stock?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
It comes in a manual, if that's what you really want. Or, do they simply not have one in stock?

Yeah they only had a DCT in stock. Of course when we got their someone was already doing the paperwork purchasing it, oh well.

Talked to a closer dealership today, put down a $250 refundable deposit to be on their priority list for when new ones arrive as they trickle in. We shall see.

As much as I would like another manual, having something my Wife can drive as well would be appealing, as it would be our primary vehicle for longer trips until we eventually look at her next car.

Debating looking at the Santa Cruz for her, if I can accomplish all my big weight projects this summer, mainly finishing our raised beds and getting the first for them. I wouldn't mind trading in my 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, its overkill for dump and general hardware store runs, driving well behaved I get 10pmg. It was a stupid good deal when I bought it, $3300 last May with 156k. Could probably double my money selling it right now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The front end of that car is just so weird to me though, I can't get past it. The Veloster N is good looking though.
I agree. I don’t really like all the added black plastic they throw on some of these, the Subaru wilderness models are horrible.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I agree. I don’t really like all the added black plastic they throw on some of these, the Subaru wilderness models are horrible.
Someone did a mockup with some of the excess black being color matched. Looks a lot better, I'm sure someone will sell kits of pre-cut vinyl to mimc the photoshop.

elantra n color match.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
If you are looking at new, due to market conditions, you may want to test drive the Lexus UX/NX/RX as well. They all have a hybrid option, AWD option, and may be more comfortable than the Rav4 or CRV. Prices are higher (start at $36k), but they should have less road noise, along with other various bells and whistles.

The Lexus small SUV is popular luxury upgrade to the Rav4, so there are a bunch of them floating around out there, but the used market for say, a 2018 RX350 is probably just as jacked up as the rest.
Thanks for this suggestion btw it's a little more than I wanted to spend but damn I think this is the one. I spotted a 2018 NX 300H at a restaurant earlier today and was checking it out until the owner came out. I don't speak japanese so it was pretty awkward trying to explain wtf I was looking at his car for. I emailed some dealerships stateside and i'll probably head up to hiroshima this weekend to check out the 2022 model, hopefully they will let me test drive one.

I won't really be able to fuck with the infotainment system but youtube reviews have been pretty glowing about functionality and ease of use on it. Only negatives i've seen is voice activation has a delay and some of the navigation is subscription based.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for this suggestion btw it's a little more than I wanted to spend but damn I think this is the one. I spotted a 2018 NX 300H at a restaurant earlier today and was checking it out until the owner came out. I don't speak japanese so it was pretty awkward trying to explain wtf I was looking at his car for. I emailed some dealerships stateside and i'll probably head up to hiroshima this weekend to check out the 2022 model, hopefully they will let me test drive one.

I won't really be able to fuck with the infotainment system but youtube reviews have been pretty glowing about functionality and ease of use on it. Only negatives i've seen is voice activation has a delay and some of the navigation is subscription based.

Just use Apple carplay or Android auto and you won't need to bother with the other menus in the system.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The new US Corolla GR-Four will be revealed on Thursday 8:30PM CST.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Excited to see if it's worth a shit. My impending move has me not knowing wtf I'm doing. Hoping to leave the state within months. Maverick doesn't get here for a year. Im on the fence but probably should sell the jag to simplify the move as well as be breaking even and getting a quick 20k in liquidity for moving expense and gap between working. Sitting on the second home down payment just scrabling to ensure we have plenty leftover for moving expense.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Of course there is zero inventory of new cars in the us and i cant even order one
Unfortunately, this sounds like the current market for all but the most unpopular of cars, in the US market.

You could buy one in Japan and import it for "not terrible" prices...maybe...too bad Japan drives on the wrong side of the road.

Some years ago I looked at importing a car to Australia and I vaguely remember that import fees may be lower if you can show that it is your personal car, but you might need to have owned it for X amount of time.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Of course there is zero inventory of new cars in the us and i cant even order one
Is this just specific make and model or have you tried several and had this problem? I was able to order one, it just took four months to get made.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Most dealerships in DFW have tons of cars on the lots now, other than like Mercedes and BMW. They just can't sell them due to their hilarious markups.