What vehicle do you drive?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Is this just specific make and model or have you tried several and had this problem? I was able to order one, it just took four months to get made.
Ive got a couple of options but NX 350 with luxury option. Looked at f sport, reg and hybrid and theres none. If they have any its base model 250 with shit options and white, and even they sell. The thing is I have 4 months til im back but no dealership will let me order one. They get 2 a month and they are sold before they arrive. Where did you order at?

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Landing page is up, I dig it.

300hp/273tq

1648725423826.png

Hekotat

Heh, looks like when Toyota woke up and saw the leak then they 404'd that webpage.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wonder if they do any kind of order direct to Toyota like Ford does. I forget what the msrp is, but i could give up some speed and sexxyness if i can for the same price get an in warranty car that i can actually take out in winter.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I know Toyota is known for their quality and reliability, but I won't lie, I'm not super confident about wringing 300hp out of a 1.6 liter lasting long term.

Hekotat

I know Toyota is known for their quality and reliability, but I won't lie, I'm not super confident about wringing 300hp out of a 1.6 liter lasting long term.

3cyl too!

I think it'll be okay though.

Hekotat

It will probably be fine, though it may hurt the aftermarket. I can't imagine there is a lot more to get out of a 1.6.

Go look at the GR Yaris, same exact Engine and drivetrain and they are getting some big numbers out of that engine.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Most dealerships in DFW have tons of cars on the lots now, other than like Mercedes and BMW. They just can't sell them due to their hilarious markups.
I've been in the queue for a new toyota for over a month. Lots of really expensive used cars, but new car inventory is definitely not there.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
300 hp out of a 3 cylinder, wtf. I like the look, nice there’s another hot hatch option, it’s a pretty weak selection out there.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If these are available at MSRP I'm pretty likely to ditch my Focus ST for one.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I gave up on waiting for tundra order and bought a Ram 1500 . Pretty happy with it so far. Been driving Tundras for a long time, not sure how I will feel about 4-5 yrs from now but first impressions are good .

Sludig

If i buy another full size, likely going ram as well. The new Tundras look kinda good but just don't hit right.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for this suggestion btw it's a little more than I wanted to spend but damn I think this is the one. I spotted a 2018 NX 300H at a restaurant earlier today and was checking it out until the owner came out. I don't speak japanese so it was pretty awkward trying to explain wtf I was looking at his car for. I emailed some dealerships stateside and i'll probably head up to hiroshima this weekend to check out the 2022 model, hopefully they will let me test drive one.

I won't really be able to fuck with the infotainment system but youtube reviews have been pretty glowing about functionality and ease of use on it. Only negatives i've seen is voice activation has a delay and some of the navigation is subscription based.
Welp day trip up to hiroshima was mostly fruitless. Can't test drive anything "because of covid", have to go to their website and book an appt and bring a negative covid test with me, ugh. Mind you I was sitting in the car with the salesman for 30+ minutes going through all the options, but somehow if the car is moving then covid becomes a thing.

Other than test driving to get a feel for the difference between the 275hp Turbo vs 244hp hybrid, I wanted to check out the various options/packages and well, JDM version is just, way, way better? Not sure if it's language barrier or translation issues but it seems they only have a 300 (which is like a suped up 250 with the 2.5L engine), 350 F Sport (2.4L Turbo, 275hp), 350 Luxury (which is the same as the US 350H, 244 combined hp hybrid) and Plug in Hybrid (same as the US 350h+, 30+ mile all electric range). UX isn't a thing apparently and I didn't see any RXs.

All their versions come with almost all luxury/technology options standard which are sold piecemeal/via packages for the US version. I was mainly on the fence about F Sport or not because while I prefer the styling of the F Sport and some of its handling features, the US version of the F Sport doesn't offer some of the tech options like the Heads Up Display, but for JDM they all have the Heads up display by default for example. The main tech difference between the JDMs is not all have the birds eye view backup camera.

There's 3 lexus dealerships in hiro and each one has 5-10 NXs, the full variety on the lot ready to sell (and mind you japanese dealerships are much smaller, they only hold about 25 cars on their lots so like 1/3 of their space are brand new 2022 NXs for sale). I tried to explain how hard these were to get in the US and if I could just buy a US model and have it shipped, which of course I can't. I tried to explain that I would be willing to drive to the factory or their HQ in Nagoya and pay cash, but they can't sell US models direct to consumer. I can order a JDM version if I want custom built (no need, they have any variety you want on the lot already), but their production line is 12-17 months behind so i'd have it before christmas 2023. I almost convinced myself to consider just going through all the hoops and costs to import the JDM version but besides never being able to go through a drive through again, I can't understand any of the fucking menus

I'm about as sold as I can be on a vehicle without test driving it, but that won't count for shit if I can't find one for sale in the US.
20220402_154419.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Supertaster
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I agree. I don’t really like all the added black plastic they throw on some of these, the Subaru wilderness models are horrible.
96dd8abebafdfd758a31d848abfe5358.png

is the black actually part of the structural bumper or just like a snap in? cuz thats how my fog lights are, just a cutout black snap in

Burns

Welp day trip up to hiroshima was mostly fruitless. Can't test drive anything "because of covid", have to go to their website and book an appt and bring a negative covid test with me, ugh. Mind you I was sitting in the car with the salesman for 30+ minutes going through all the options, but somehow if the car is moving then covid becomes a thing.

Other than test driving to get a feel for the difference between the 275hp Turbo vs 244hp hybrid, I wanted to check out the various options/packages and well, JDM version is just, way, way better? Not sure if it's language barrier or translation issues but it seems they only have a 300 (which is like a suped up 250 with the 2.5L engine), 350 F Sport (2.4L Turbo, 275hp), 350 Luxury (which is the same as the US 350H, 244 combined hp hybrid) and Plug in Hybrid (same as the US 350h+, 30+ mile all electric range). UX isn't a thing apparently and I didn't see any RXs.

All their versions come with almost all luxury/technology options standard which are sold piecemeal/via packages for the US version. I was mainly on the fence about F Sport or not because while I prefer the styling of the F Sport and some of its handling features, the US version of the F Sport doesn't offer some of the tech options like the Heads Up Display, but for JDM they all have the Heads up display by default for example. The main tech difference between the JDMs is not all have the birds eye view backup camera.

There's 3 lexus dealerships in hiro and each one has 5-10 NXs, the full variety on the lot ready to sell (and mind you japanese dealerships are much smaller, they only hold about 25 cars on their lots so like 1/3 of their space are brand new 2022 NXs for sale). I tried to explain how hard these were to get in the US and if I could just buy a US model and have it shipped, which of course I can't. I tried to explain that I would be willing to drive to the factory or their HQ in Nagoya and pay cash, but they can't sell US models direct to consumer. I can order a JDM version if I want custom built (no need, they have any variety you want on the lot already), but their production line is 12-17 months behind so i'd have it before christmas 2023. I almost convinced myself to consider just going through all the hoops and costs to import the JDM version but besides never being able to go through a drive through again, I can't understand any of the fucking menus

I'm about as sold as I can be on a vehicle without test driving it, but that won't count for shit if I can't find one for sale in the US.
You could try Autotrader and Edmonds new vehicle search, which searches various dealers in an area. Dealers have to pay to advertise there, so it may not be an exhaustive search, but 90% of them probably have an account with Autotrader, at least.

You could then plan your flight from Japan to wherever you find the vehicle and go on a road trip home with it. You may be able to save on some taxes this way if they "deliver" it over state lines (if the dealer is close to a different state).

As for the import: Quick search says the firmware for the previous generation computer is hardcoded for Japanese only on the JPN vehicles (don't know when/if they changed their interior system to multi language for the latest generation). It looks like New Zealand imports a decent amount of JPN vehicles; at least enough to support a business to write a custom firmware for the 2005 to 2009. So, maybe Toyota/Lexus picked up on their cars going to NZ and ASTL, and put in the ability to change languages in the newer models (but probably not).

Also, the North American models should all be assembled in the US, so they cant sell you one in Japan, even if they wanted to. Afaik, a larger percent of Toyota/Lexes is made in the US than any domestic producer.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
96dd8abebafdfd758a31d848abfe5358.png

is the black actually part of the structural bumper or just like a snap in? cuz thats how my fog lights are, just a cutout black snap in
It is a full bumper.

I looked at one on the showroom floor a few weeks ago. Not as awful in person but still not a looker. The tex seats are nice though.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
I gave up on waiting for tundra order and bought a Ram 1500 . Pretty happy with it so far. Been driving Tundras for a long time, not sure how I will feel about 4-5 yrs from now but first impressions are good .
RAM can be hit or miss in quality, but usually hit.

You dodged a bullet not getting GM. Their quality is dumpster fire bad. Timing chain issues across GM's entire line of engines, from I4 to V8...all of them. I don't think there is a single area on them where the quality isn't severely lacking. Imagine paying 50-70k for something and have it be yard trash in 50k miles. To make things worse, they are expensive as hell to fix now. Timing chain issue is just one of many the engines have.

Ford isn't quite as bad as GM, but they are still quite bad. I looked at the new Explorer and not a single exterior panel was fitted correctly, and the interior was the same. Brand new, and the front of the dash was coming apart. I read a review of it, and the reviewer said the transmission failed and locked up on the highway. Brand new and already a very dangerous failure.

I don't know how reliable those turbo ecotechs are, but new turbos are $6k. I had a 2018 diesel F250 and it was fine, but it always felt like I was running with scissors. The only good thing about covid is it let me get away from that truck for what I paid for it.

• 1Like

Hekotat

Okay, I want one. Looks way better in this video then in still shots.

• 1Like