Wheel of Time

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This is all especially confusing since the Seanchan are specifically described as a race of dark-skinned warriors and it is a group of badasses who dominate continents and harness source users (literally) for their own needs. It seems entirely unnecessary to diversity up the cast when the story will naturally lead you to strong, diverse characters anyways.

Fucking christ.

Pretty much this. I mean he did a great job of diversifying...well everyone. I can't think of any race being left out really. Aiel, Seanchan, Westlanders. Leave it alone. And fucks sake get the big three right no matter what.

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
You can always tell how good a live action adaptation is going to be based on how much respect the show-runners show the source material. Look at GoT, despite the train wreck it became in season 7-8 (because they ran out of source material), the casting and first few seasons were very faithful to the source material.

When they can't even bother being faithful to the characters descriptions from the source material, then it's a done deal that their going to tear apart the original story. I mean for fucks sake, here's the character portraits from Ariel Burgess, an official Wheel of Time artist.

Perrin
latest

Egwene (maybe the closest of the 3)
latest

Nynaeve
latest

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would like to see them remake Roots and recast it with some more white people.... for diversity!

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I will admit that there is a chance that these actors just knock it out of the park, and the show runners and writers could possibly pull everything together perfectly... but seriously they are already throwing away large chunks of the books, and it isn't going to be good. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, and we get some GoT level shit in here, with a better ending, but betting that that is what will happen is asinine. My spider sense is telling me this is going to be Shannara tier garbage by the time they are done with it.

• 1Like

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Good news it shouldn't matter actors don't match the character description.

Next they will tell us not to worry if the script deviates from the books.....

only when they cast Ken Jeong as Shakka Zulu will I agree with that article

• 1Worf

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Final casting for the main protagonists finished, with shorty mcAsian rounding out our diversity checklist. At least he is close to the right height.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lan played by an asian, guess that is to be expected. Can't have a white guy hook up with a black lady, lol. Series won't last til Mat meets Tuon, so they don't need to worry about that match up.

Edit: Daniel Henney is Lan. Not a bad choice, he seems to have the right build for Lan, not sure about the height though.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
the source material is hot garbage past books 3 or 4.
You must have on some shit colored glasses, the point where the books turned into a chore was closer to book 7 or 8, and lasted through crossroads to twilight. After that they picked back up, and the final book was one of the best endings to a series like that that there is.

Even with all of the flaws, the world itself that he built was simply fantastic. Which is why I was initially so excited for a series like this where they could recreate the world and compress the slow books where almost nothing happens down like they have to do for tv series anyways. But more and more it’s looking like they are going to loosely use the source material.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Honestly so much happens in WoT over so many books unless they plan on dethroning Supernatural for total seasons and episodes, they'll probably be doing a LOT of trimming on the story.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Right, which is why I think one of the two major flaws (that there is a stretch of books where hardly anything happens) is naturally taken care of by the nature of tv adaptations. The other, that almost all women characters in the books are cunts, is unfortunately likely to stay. Elayne was probably the least cunty of the major characters, but that isn’t saying much

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Moraine wasnt cunty? Neither was Egwene. Only one that was hard to stomach 24/7 was nyaneave. All the Aes Sedai were full if themselves, but that comes with the wielding-the-one-power territory I think.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The series should have been 2 books shorter. There was a ton of politics in the renegade Tower, Eamon's Field, and Sand town that could have been cut for more action and straight cool explanation of things chapters. He also basically ignored the badass Black Tower for whatever reason. He really lost it towards the end by trying to make everything mysterious instead of tight and exciting.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Moraine wasnt cunty? Neither was Egwene. Only one that was hard to stomach 24/7 was nyaneave. All the Aes Sedai were full if themselves, but that comes with the wielding-the-one-power territory I think.

Did you even read the books? Every female took her turn being cunty, just like every male took his turn being a whiny, effeminate bitch. Egwene was a giant asshole from the time she got to the tower until the end of the books. She almost never let up. Moraine was probably one of the least egregious, but she sure had plenty of moments.

If it was just them being full of themselves, plenty of them would have come around once they saw what the men could do over a sustained period of time or even when they started turning up wildling girls with enormous power. Also, it wouldn't have immediately infected brand new one power users. Instead, it is almost exactly the opposite.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I guess your definition of cunty and mine differ. Most women in this series are depicted as scheming and intelligent, with Aes Sedai being the apex of that. I never got a cunty vibe from Egwene or Elayne - full of themselves at times but not to the point where you cant stand them. Headstrong would be more accurate imo, and determined. Cunty has too negative a connotation, and yes I've read the books, and I dont think any of the men ever had effeminate moments? Men can cry and complain without it being negative.

Overall it just sounds like you are a bigot and are projecting.

• 2Picard
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess your definition of cunty and mine differ. Most women in this series are depicted as scheming and intelligent, with Aes Sedai being the apex of that. I never got a cunty vibe from Egwene or Elayne - full of themselves at times but not to the point where you cant stand them. Headstrong would be more accurate imo, and determined. Cunty has too negative a connotation, and yes I've read the books, and I dont think any of the men ever had effeminate moments? Men can cry and complain without it being negative.

Overall it just sounds like you are a bigot and are projecting.
Not sure you are trolling here or not. Min had the least amount of attitude, Elayne was just dumb. Egwene become and did what she said she never would, in regards to Rand. Nynaeve was simply a bitch towards most male characters... all the time. Other than Min, and to some extent Aviendha, none of the major female characters missed an opportunity to try and belittle a male character in some way. Jordan took the whole "Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars" sentiment to the extreme, just to build up misunderstandings. This series is going go orgasmic with that attitude, lol.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I mean literally every major town has a form of women's circle which is the "woman behind the man" of town politics. Females are set up in this world to be haughty towards men. That's not individual personalities, that's how they (all women) are written in this series. Doesnt make them cunty, just skews the society towards a more matriarchal viewpoint.
This also doesnt mean men are weak in this series... some of the most memorable moments include Rand leaving 14 or so weaves in front of Egwene and Elayne and showing them just how big a disparity there was in channeling ability between prodigy women channelers and male. Nyaneave curing severing was a huge feat and an old Ashaman does it by matter of fact shortly after.
Plenty of strong male and female personalities to go around, without having to trash them as cunty or effeminate because they arent emotionless Lans or bashful meek girls.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I feel like you are arguing against a point no one is making. No one is saying it is just the main women, like you said it is MOST women. And you can’t say it is just aes sedai when the worst offender isn’t one (Faille).

And no one is saying there aren’t strong men characters. We aren’t saying the overall story is some sort of feminist dream, just that most of the women are insufferable know-it-all’s who think that a pair of tits is the primary qualification to be able to make a good decision. That’s not the way the author actually makes the male characters, it’s literally just the behavior of the female ones.

Whether you want to call it cunty or not, who cares. They are annoying and awful to read

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users