When does laziness cross the line into depression?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
1) How old are you?
2) Do you no longer derive joy from activities, or are you just too lazy/tired to do them?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind

I still find joy in activities

I guess I could say I have an abnormal "getting places" problem rather than not enjoying things problem

I haven't felt passionate about something for a long time I guess is a way to describe it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
When you start to feel despair, guilt, or self-loathing.

If you don't feel those things then you're just a lazy ass. If you do feel those things, you're probably depressed.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
One thing I've learned by observation and my own habits is that laziness begets laziness. If you don't deal with it it will just keep getting worse and probably exasperate any sort of depression problem that comes out of it. My recommendation is to just brute force it. Figure out a few things you need to get done, or you want to accomplish, and just wake up one morning, break your routine, and get started.

Even a few hours a day of doing something you define as non-lazy will start to break the cycle.

Good luck.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Swagdaddy

I'm fine it's just I wish I felt more enthusiasm for the things I need to do, I guess it's hard to accept the hard truth that life is boring as fuck

Swagdaddy

One thing I've learned is by observation and my own habits is that laziness begets laziness. If you don't deal with it it will just keep getting worse and probably exasperate any sort of depression problem that comes out of it. My recommendation is to just brute force it. Figure out a few things you need to get done, or you want to accomplish, and just wake up one morning, break your routine, and get started.

Even a few hours a day of doing something you define as non-lazy will start to break the cycle.

Good luck.

I agree with this theory on how it builds momentum, this is a more recent phenomena now that I swapped from working a salary to full-time student with tons of free time.

Guess I'm born from serf genes or something I need to be labored I think, only problem is when I worked part-time it was just some shit job for something to do (no financial need) and made school more difficult to focus on.

First world problems.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm

I still find joy in activities

I guess I could say I have an abnormal "getting places" problem rather than not enjoying things problem

I haven't felt passionate about something for a long time I guess is a way to describe it

late 20s is about coping with mediocrity and letting dreams die imo, i think it's pretty normal to hit some funk. Just get yourself into a position where if you zone out for a few years in a routine you're going to be in a place to make some moves later. (eg don't rent, dont stay at a shitty job, save some money, dont become alcoholic, shit like that)

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Swagdaddy

late 20s is about coping with mediocrity and letting dreams die imo, i think it's pretty normal to hit some funk. Just get yourself into a position where if you zone out for a few years in a routine you're going to be in a place to make some moves later. (eg don't rent, dont stay at a shitty job, save some money, dont become alcoholic, shit like that)

thanks for advice mate, I guess I'm just a little bitch who is having hard time accepting I'm not going to be a god-emperor and more likely just some guy who takes peoples blood for a living.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
thanks for advice mate, I guess I'm just a little bitch who is having hard time accepting I'm not going to be a god-emperor and more likely just some guy who takes peoples blood for a living.

phlebotomy?

there's always jobs doing that at least, you'll probably never struggle to find work... i know a lot of places there's not a whole lot of money in it, but there's definitely worse situations to find yourself in.

Swagdaddy

phlebotomy?

there's always jobs doing that at least, you'll probably never struggle to find work... i know a lot of places there's not a whole lot of money in it, but there's definitely worse situations to find yourself in.

I'm a Registered Nursing student, I guess the finality of this career commitment is kinda bumming me out

Good insights from cuckhat

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I am lazy.. but I smoke weed. So I blame it on that and it makes everything alright.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
don't rent?

Picasso3

obviously ymmv, but owning is a good way to go on autopilot and end up with some equity.

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
When you start to feel despair, guilt, or self-loathing.

If you don't feel those things then you're just a lazy ass. If you do feel those things, you're probably depressed.
What about guilt because I don't actually do shit at work? Like, I feel guilty that I'm not doing shit, but I'm not about to start putting any effort into it.

When I'm at home I'm more active (workout 3-4 times a week, generally work on a house project every other weekend, etc).

OneofOne

My gf is a nurse case manager. Spent a few years as a normal nurse working in a hospital, but now she works for a company that exclusively handles Worker's Comp cases for insurance companies. Works from home (though she drives to patients' appointments almost daily), makes a very comfortable living with a great company that worships their nurses, and (within reason) sets her own schedule. Always options if the hospital grind ever gets you down.

iannis

Musty Nester
It really depends on where you work.

If you go long term care you'll be working your ass off. If you go hospital it depends on exactly which part of the hospital. If you go private practice you might end up being a secretary that tells people to go to the hospital. If you go psych you'll be working your ass off, but you'll also get paid more for being male.

But yeah, you'll be taking a lot of blood. If you want to change beds and wipe butts too, don't go to the hospital. It all just depends on why you want to do it. If it's just a job, try to get into the hospital. That's the most jobby nurse you can get.

Around here there's a pecking order. Long term care, Hospital, Private practice. It's hard to get to the next stage without experience in the previous as a very general rule.

But there is an awful lot more that you can do with a RN than just take blood. Even if that is the practical bulk of the work. The doctor has to have his plan before you can formulate yours.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No its not corny. I think there is merit to that.

In my observation, while trying to maintain a youthful state of play, drugs are the go-to that is involved because its the easiest solution to keep living the past and recapturing that natural buzz of your youth. Thats why I see a lot of heavier polydrug use in the 30's than say the casual to nonexistent polydrug use of the early 20's.

Part of growing up is living a life without drugs and/or very little drugs, slowing the partying down. Organizing priorities, and so forth. Basically-- becoming a boring faggot ;)

But thats a whole nother chapter on "sense of identity" and all that jazz. Its easier for people with a strong sense of identity to leave drugs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user