When does laziness cross the line into depression?

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
Life is dull as fuck sometimes. When I get like that I usually end up taking it as a sign I'm not happy and - not always consciously - change something to make life more interesting. Examples from the past few years, in no particular order, would be stepping up indulgence in a particular drug or booze habit, getting heavily into an mmo, changing jobs/careers, getting a new girlfriend or doing a bit of travelling

It always settles down again which leads me back to my opening line, life is dull as fuck sometimes, unless you feel like weeping into your pillow every night you're probably not depressed.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Make some kids. Then life won't be boring and you'll hate it for an entirely new set of reasons.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The amount of "help me deal with my emotions" threads on this forum is surprising to me on a forum that originated as a video game forum, and remains to this day very much male dominated.

Emotions arent objectively real things. Once you realize this, you'll stop navel gazing over "why am I feeling this way". Every emotion a person experiences is an emotion theyre deciding to experience. If you dont want to feel bored, stop feeling bored. If you find this advice unrealistic, then I have great news for you. The decision to take control of your emotions -- which is to say, to be human ni the Bene Gesserit sense rather than an animal -- is easy, but achieving it is hard. And takes years of meditation and mental discipline. So good news for a bored person -- here is a path that will fix your problems in both the short term and the long term.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The amount of "help me deal with my emotions" threads on this forum is surprising to me on a forum that originated as a video game forum, and remains to this day very much male dominated.

Emotions arent objectively real things. Once you realize this, you'll stop navel gazing over "why am I feeling this way". Every emotion a person experiences is an emotion theyre deciding to experience. If you dont want to feel bored, stop feeling bored. If you find this advice unrealistic, then I have great news for you. The decision to take control of your emotions -- which is to say, to be human ni the Bene Gesserit sense rather than an animal -- is easy, but achieving it is hard. And takes years of meditation and mental discipline. So good news for a bored person -- here is a path that will fix your problems in both the short term and the long term.

People that like to escape reality by playing MMOs might have problems coping with emotions?!?!?!

And to be fair, I'm not just shitting on other people, I've definitely had some of the problems mentioned here myself. And not that "escaping reality" is necessarily a bad thing. Just video games and especially MMOs provide a particularly addictive and accessible way to do it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

Are you saying that clinical depression is just a figment of your imagination and if you don't want to be depressed, just "cheer up"? Or we just talking about emotional responses to things?

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
As a 6'4" man nurse who worked as an RN in an inpatient psych unit for 6 years, I can say with authority they do not pay men more than women to work psych.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm in similar situation, where life is just boring as fuck. It doesn't help that I moved to an entirely new area, and so I had to get all new friends, which wasn't easy as I was no longer working in a big office environment. Still really don't have too many friends, but at least a couple makes things better. I'm a very social person, and when I didn't have that social outlet with friends coming over for BBQs or to game, etc it was pretty rough on me.

That, and Swagdaddy Swagdaddy I think it is for sure career related. I think a lot of people in the late 20's and early 30's are in a position in their career where they just have to ride it out for a bit more experience before they hit something big. With that also typically means not a lot of expendable income to do all that fun shit you used to be able to do in your early 20's. I was a little late to that party, but I'm 33 and spent the last 2 years getting experience in my new career or unemployed between jobs, but I just landed a job that should change everything.

• 1Like

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
Your body is a creature of stimulation. If you aren't doing anything to promote positive stimulation (provided you are in a mental slump) then you won't feel good about yourself. You get over this by doing things like keeping your house clean or keeping yourself in shape so you have a default thing to feel good about.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Your body is a creature of stimulation. If you aren't doing anything to promote positive stimulation (provided you are in a mental slump) then you won't feel good about yourself. You get over this by doing things like keeping your house clean or keeping yourself in shape so you have a default thing to feel good about.

Great post. Its difficult to believe, but this isn't common sense at all. And from what I have observed, is met with negativity and dismissal from the older generations, namely the baby boomers.

I have met a lot of people recovering from a tough situation (i.e. depression,unemployment,addiction) where their support network (usually parents in most circumstances, in those who couldn't afford paying someone for weekly moral support/advice) believes that you just sort of one day roll over get your shit together on a given issue instantaneously, just like the movies in Hollywood.

Like bipolar manic magic, or something of that nature. As if suddenly the individual will just go from 0 mph to 100 mph when stereotype X action happens, or if they just get that rehab stay at the right location, or if they just get the right depression camp placement-- then everything is instantly solved without any building process or any type of micro reward structure, everything is fixed by talking to some doctor or popping some pills. I know cases of depressed people who pop 2-3 antidepressant drugs and just sit around all day moping for years now. They talk about "get up and go" and how to get it (usually asking about adding another drug), but haven't taken any real world steps towards that end. All pills, all doctor talks, no results. The fact is their support network sucks and they didn't have the right values instilled in them. Possibly growing up in chaos with bad habits and now drugs and some shrink dude who doesn't give a shit will be trying to fix this persons busted reward system and potential lack of pride.

The fact is, ideology like that, the promotion of any fast fixes whether it be for depressive episodes, laziness, addiction-- what it amounts to is just an unsupportive narcissists excuse to not acknowledge someone else's particular struggle and therefore emotionally avoid having to say "hey good job man", its easier to just side-eye and and scoff. For every step you take forward, these narcissists might have you taking 2-3 steps backwards. Beware in seeking reward from these individuals if you are trapped in a situation without good friends and aren't quite back on your feet yet after a bad breakup, etc.

Mundane task are a part of daily life. Most good parents try to implement a childhood reward system such as do X Y Z chores, and you are rewarded for doing them. As a kid you think its mindlessness, a reward for doing shit you didn't want to do, great. You still don't like doing them, but you can see the material reward and you like that. I'd argue that the kids who didn't grow up being taught a lesson about mundane tasks and taking pride in oneself are the ones dragging ass today.

As an aside, lets just say most sober houses happen to put extreme emphasis on housekeeping and cleaning duty, and if you violate your chores you get punished. And at a good house, you get kicked out in 2 strikes. Because if you can't maintain a tip top space, or take care of your body, you are not fit for sober life. Why is this relevant? Because the reason they kick you out is they are trying to help you rebuild your reward system, create a foundation.

I wish I had the link, but a 4 star General gave an address to a major school last year in 2016 I believe it was. If anyone knows what I am talking about, I'd love to get his name. If I could have found it, I'd not have tried and failed to articulate it here, because I am completely jumbled and doing a poor job of it.

The botched paraphrase I can give you is: "times will get hard, make your bed every single day no matter what, so when that happens, and you dont have much going on, you come home to a made bed" -- thereby taking pride in oneself.

That was his final statement to the graduating class. "Common sense" to some, and invaluable knowledge to others.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Alright, so it wasn't US Army, stars were not involved! Shows how reliable quick-recall is...

Appreciate the dig.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Music usually helps with boring routine shit.

When I was a kid if the batteries were dead in my walkman that lawn wasn't getting mowed.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Problems with mundane tasks can fall under ADD. Adderall is sometimes prescribed for other reasons but ends up being spottily used for mundane tasks as to not develop any dependence. The Adderall is basically just coffee with a calm focused goal-accomplishing orientation.

Whereas SSRI's also help with mundane tasks, its likely not worth taking mind-altering drugs like that. Also taking SSRI's one-off for that purpose is extremely dubious and I'd say qualifies as abuse of that class of drug.

The side effects of 1-off small doses of Adderall are negligible.

I know a lot of women who only do housecleaning with Adderall. And some people only do law school with Adderall ;)

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
ADHD has been the en vogue diagnosis du jour for a while now. Adderall, along with Xanax, is one of the most abused medications on the market. Most people I've seen taking Adderall don't meet DSM- V criteria for ADHD, which, aside from narcolepsy, is the only FDA approved use. It has not been determined through studies if stimulants actually improve mood symptoms or just cause euphoria. On a neurochemical level, anhedonia is typically linked to dopaminergic pathways in the brain. Typically, these symptoms respond well to augmentation with something like buproprion or Abilify, if not psychotherapy.

It impossible to know what medication and treatment is appropriate for the OP (if it is even necessary) but I get the impression he is suffering from some of the late-20's normlessness a lot of people experience when they aren't sure where life is going and what life has in store for them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I get the impression he is suffering from some of the late-20's normlessness a lot of people experience when they aren't sure where life is going and what life has in store for them.

And you don't want to medicate away feelings like that, because you're not actually solving anything you're just delaying your own personal growth.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Generally speaking, you can't medicate it away. Medication has a role in treating depression, but it can't change the circumstances of someone's life that contribute to depression. Sometimes it's the physicians job to distract the patient while nature affects a cure. Frequently, therapy can be helpful for what we are discussing.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
As a 6'4" man nurse who worked as an RN in an inpatient psych unit for 6 years, I can say with authority they do not pay men more than women to work psych.

Maybe it's just local. Or maybe it's just my buddy. He keeps asking me to come work for him and telling me that he'll pay premium because the women just can't do it.

But I don't wanna do psych nursing. Would be too depressing.

CORRUPT CORRUPT