Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Still loving this. I've leveled up a Stalker to 21, Spellslinger to 12, and an Esper to 14 with a buddy of mine. Having the most fun with Stalker, but Spellslinger is fun too and easy to level up with. I like the Esper, but having to stand still for his basic attack type ability kinda sucks. At least it sorta gets alleviated later on after you start getting abilities like Illusionary Blades and some others.
How are you able to repeatedly go through the starting zones in this game? They are some of the most boring I've ever seen.

I can't see myself doing more than one character, maybe one more on the opposing side, for this game because of the sheer tediousness of the questing and "Ma' wife, Sadie. She's got a baby. Go find her or I'll kill you" kind of snooze.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
How are you able to repeatedly go through the starting zones in this game? They are some of the most boring I've ever seen.

I can't see myself doing more than one character, maybe one more on the opposing side, for this game because of the sheer tediousness of the questing and "Ma' wife, Sadie. She's got a baby. Go find her or I'll kill you" kind of snooze.
I've tried 3 of the 4 starting zones so far and my short experience with them is as follows

Tutorials:

Dominion: Hated it. To long and drawn out. 4 rooms to go clear? Fuck that..
Exiles: Short and sweet. 5 minutes on repeat to just blast through it.

Exiles:
Evestar Grove ( The aurin tree hugger area) is a bit convoluted. Can be hard to figure out where to go at first but a bit like ESO in that you can just say "fuck it" and head of in a direction and start completing shit till you fill like going back to town. Takes awhile to get to a city with crafting imo but it looks nice

Northern Wilds: My favorite zone. At first I didn't like it because it was snowy and I usually don't like snowy areas but the pacing was fast and easy to go through. Could blow through this starting zone in a rush if needed but I enjoyed myself.

Dominions:

I can't figure out what the name of the starting zone was that I tried but you start off at a beach then head off into the woods to an Aliedon (sp?) site where you work with the caretaker to get knowledge until the site is attacked by Exiles. The zone was ok and pacing was straightforward but the part that made me jealous was the city you go to right after the starting zone. It has everything. Crafting stations, hirable bikes, bank access, and probably a home port station also if I looked hard enough. Seriously neither of the cities you go to after the Exile starting zones have this stuff until much later and by then I am leveled past 10.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You don't have to clear 4rooms though, I don't get that. You have to kill like 6mobs(maybe a few more depending on what you aggro) in the room and the rooms are next to each other. First room you only need to kill 3mobs before disarming the bomb, 2nd room you kill 3-4ghosts as you click graves, 3rd room you don't have to kill anything just click the houses and 4th room you don't have to kill anything just burn the trees. I haven't timed them but I don't remember the dominion starting area being any longer than the exile one, they both take like 5-10mins once you know what to do and rush them, most of the time is spent running around clicking shit and talking to people in both.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well one issue probably is of all the classes you picked the most generic wow type caster that has the clunkiest combat of the bunch. I am not saying this game really is some new special diamond that everybody must play but having tried all the classes at low levels esper is the chunkiest slowest and most annoying class of the bunch. It is like a wow balance druid trapped in a game that requires movement on a very non mobile class.
Absolute truth.

I went back into Wildstar Saturday night and rerolled a Medic. This changed my entire perspective of the game. Instead of combat being a tedious bore, it actually became somewhat fun. The Medic's initial abilities support movement and, as you added them, seem to logically build out your character. The guy who designed the initial ESPer ability roll-out should be dragged through glass.

I ended up leveling him to lvl 10 this weekend and the game does get exponentially better past the god awful tutorial zone. I guess the best way to describe the feel of the game is as WoW 2.0, in fact, the gameplay is what I would have expected SWTOR to be at launch. In any case, the questing is just like WoW and, unlike TESO, I actually found myself in a comfortable questing rhythm. Quest text is short and sweet and, when the combat is fun, it doesn't feel like a chore. This combined with some of the challenges you get introduced to and your "path", I was a having a pretty good time.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
You don't have to clear 4rooms though, I don't get that. You have to kill like 6mobs(maybe a few more depending on what you aggro) in the room and the rooms are next to each other. First room you only need to kill 3mobs before disarming the bomb, 2nd room you kill 3-4ghosts as you click graves, 3rd room you don't have to kill anything just click the houses and 4th room you don't have to kill anything just burn the trees. I haven't timed them but I don't remember the dominion starting area being any longer than the exile one, they both take like 5-10mins once you know what to do and rush them, most of the time is spent running around clicking shit and talking to people in both.
The whole premise though is fucking dumb. The initial 15-30m shouldn't be "Hey, here's the most boring shit in the game", it should be "Here's the most epic shit to expect in our game." Guild War 2 did this flawlessly. After playing the initial stage of the game, I couldn't wait to play and see what is possible. In Wildstar, I wanted to uninstall the game and slit my wrists.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
The whole premise though is fucking dumb. The initial 15-30m shouldn't be "Hey, here's the most boring shit in the game", it should be "Here's the most epic shit to expect in our game." Guild War 2 did this flawlessly. After playing the initial stage of the game, I couldn't wait to play and see what is possible. In Wildstar, I wanted to uninstall the game and slit my wrists.
Yeah the tutorial isn't as bad as ESO's, but it's certainly a fucking drag when doing it on alts. i think the whole "Lawl, better learn our game by the time you reach lv 40, noob!" mentality from the devs really backfired on them. The tutorial is stupid easy and formuliac. If you fight mobs your level or lower, the lower levels are too easy seeing as it ramps up gradually throughout the leveling grind. You end up having the fist 20 or 30 levels feeling grindy and not-so-epic.

In the grand scheme of things, if you don't act like a bitch and nitpick everything, the REAL failure with the tutorial and early game is that it does not teach new players crucial, yet very basic mechanics of the game that you MUST know by the time you go to your first dungeon. The moment you enter Stormtalon Lair and start wiping with bads who are cherry picked from a population of players that have a much lower skill level of the WoW player population, you start to realize something is very wrong. The reason that dungeon is a fucking slog with pug's (and even guildmates sometimes) is because the game does a really shit job of teaching you about mechanics like interrupt armor. The old UI (and probably the new ui) did a shit job of displaying a monster's interrupt armor. It's not intuitive at all. If someone doesn't tell a player where to look to see what a target's interrupt armor is, they would probably never have noticed it on their own or found it themselves.

I like the game. It isn't perfect but I like it. But hey, my wildstar account has been randomly blocked for no reason. Carbine might lose my pre-order just because they are affiliated with that trainwreck we have come to know and love as NCsoft.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Beta Key for U.S. Servers:
9FTW-WB7B-A8JM-MCUB-RJCK
Beta Key for European Servers:
PM26-S595-HHEB-6D5T-Y6J3

and

8Q3K-DZ3F-K6Y4-CVG6-2VV4
P4YG-ANBZ-VYQU-J89H-S27C

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
I guess the feedback they got from me playing for 30 minutes, not even finishing the tutorial before saying "fuck this" and alt-f4ing was so valuable that they decided to invite me again. Like someone else said, betaweekened saved me from spending 50 euro. Worst thing about the game was that I couldn't have the biggest ass, the biggest tits and the tiniest waist at the same time on my dominion babe. How's that for realism?

Flight

Molten Core Raider
WILDSTAR BETA INVITATION
Following the directions below, you'll be able to redeem your key and start downloading the client immediately. Servers will be open Friday April 25 at 7:00am PDT and will close on Sunday April 27 at 11:59pm PDT. See you on Nexus!

6QEJ-JND8-C4BN-8MAK-GGT5

MS5H-JR2G-ZJCB-RK74-KWJU

Delly

Trakanon Raider
The consensus I have heard about espers were that the class doesn't really feel right until 30-35ish, but after that point they are strong and the movement issues are mostly gone.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I guess the feedback they got from me playing for 30 minutes, not even finishing the tutorial before saying "fuck this" and alt-f4ing was so valuable that they decided to invite me again. Like someone else said, betaweekened saved me from spending 50 euro. Worst thing about the game was that I couldn't have the biggest ass, the biggest tits and the tiniest waist at the same time on my dominion babe. How's that for realism?
In 30 minutes you couldn't finish the tutorial? Not sure the problem is with the game....

bayr_sl

shitlord
Maybe he was watching the awful cutscenes or reading all the words associated with pressing F on every fucking thing in sight. I suppose it could take over 30 minutes if you did that.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_65218.png

rrr_img_65219.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
4QNT-8NH9-4WRX-K4AW-P4AR
LEWE-KFR5-VTV6-WBLK-VT92

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So is the engine improved on this yet? I had severe performance issues for the entire closed beta.