Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This has probably been said before. But the one feeling I got my entire time playing it, was that it felt like something that should have been released back in 07 or 08. It just doesn't feel like a triple A title coming out in 2014. Dunno why I got this outdated feel with it. Makes me kind of sad.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This has probably been said before. But the one feeling I got my entire time playing it, was that it felt like something that should have been released back in 07 or 08. It just doesn't feel like a triple A title coming out in 2014. Dunno why I got this outdated feel with it. Makes me kind of sad.
Taste or just not having fun one are thing but comments like this baffle me. What exactly makes a mmo feel like a "triple A title in 2014"? What makes something feel like its 2007 or 2008?

Hell if you go by mechanics or features, everything should feel old as fuck, because its all been done before with just a different wrapper.

spronk

FPS noob
Taste or just not having fun one are thing but comments like this baffle me. What exactly makes a mmo feel like a "triple A title in 2014"? What makes something feel like its 2007 or 2008?
I expect any MMO coming out in 2014 or later to have the following

* massive, seamless, changing open worlds
* completely destructible environments, ala the latest voxel based rage or CryEngine
* content is gated based on your gear or experience, not levels. AAs, talent trees, skill points, whatever mechanism you want but fuck the schizophrenic MMO world that is a one game from 1-49 and then a completely different game at 50.
* action based target-less combat for fighting, slow pokemon or card game or MOBA mechanics for more casual play times (plus lots more casual shit like crafting social stuff etc)
* megaserver tech or something similar so you can play with friends without having to worry about stupid shit like "HEY WAT SERVER U ON"
* 3 factions or the ability to change factions based on long, long quests or no factions
* NO MORE GODDAMN "the endgame is where the fun starts!" FUCK THAT SHIT, my buddy who just started playing 2 years after I did should be able to rapidly join whatever shit I am doing, and things scale up or down as needed. The longer I play, maybe the more options and customization I have but not such a vast chasm that MMOs have perpetuated
* streaming client, so I can play within 5 minutes of creating an account, not 6 hours later after downloading 30 gigs

There is probably more but for me, I no longer have any desire to play MMOs still rooted in MUD/DIKU design, unless they are nostalgia trips and free.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I see we've reached the hate train stage of pre-game release posting.

"It's a themepark!" No shit it was always supposed to be.

"The world doesn't feel alive!" no shit this game isn't made for the world its for raiding and raiders don't give two shits about a world.

"The quests are boring!" It's made in wows image by wows devs for wows players... did you think it would be different?

"Battlegrounds are stupid!" When were battlegrounds not stupid? There are exactly no examples of good battlegrounds.

"They don't cater to gamers like me who want tons of depth!" Legitimate complaint if this wasnt a year in to us knowing exactly what this game is.

Reading the last few pages has made me seriously question whether I'll even get the game after hyping it to my friends but it doesn't make the above complaints any less stupid. Honestly if you aren't playing this game to hard core raid then you fall in to the content range that is basically only there to give brand new gamers enough content to decide they too want to go raid or play arenas, of course that's going to be completely unacceptable to the people who would post on this forum. When you are a highly skilled at something competitive and a new league is formed you don't look at the low skill level play space and say the gameplay looks bad. In short, you either want the raid content and possibly arenas or you don't want this game.

On another note, the LAS does seem to suck a big dick, and the class seem to all dps in a burn your cooldowns and spam your builder format, which also sucks.

Dejoblue_sl

shitlord
WoW's snappy controls with Skyrim's graphics and EVE's core gameplay in a high fantasy setting. I want to be a Dwarf bootlegger that razes towns that defy my will and takes over towns that appease my whims and I want other players to kick my ass trying to stop me.

We have to wait for someone to risk everything to progress the genre or for technology to get so far ahead that it is either not possible to make games the same way due to obsolete design requirements or technology that is far less expensive that game design goes another way.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

* completely destructible environments, ala the latest voxel based rage or CryEngine
* content is gated based on your gear or experience, not levels. AAs, talent trees, skill points, whatever mechanism you want but fuck the schizophrenic MMO world that is a one game from 1-49 and then a completely different game at 50.
* action based target-less combat for fighting, slow pokemon or card game or MOBA mechanics for more casual play times (plus lots more casual shit like crafting social stuff etc)
* megaserver tech or something similar so you can play with friends without having to worry about stupid shit like "HEY WAT SERVER U ON"
* 3 factions or the ability to change factions based on long, long quests or no factions
* NO MORE GODDAMN "the endgame is where the fun starts!" FUCK THAT SHIT, my buddy who just started playing 2 years after I did should be able to rapidly join whatever shit I am doing, and things scale up or down as needed. The longer I play, maybe the more options and customization I have but not such a vast chasm that MMOs have perpetuated
* streaming client, so I can play within 5 minutes of creating an account, not 6 hours later after downloading 30 gigs

There is probably more but for me, I no longer have any desire to play MMOs still rooted in MUD/DIKU design, unless they are nostalgia trips and free.
Besides maybe voxels and the streaming client, none of that is really screaming "2014". It sounds more like a list of "shit I want in a game".

Also how do you combine #1 and #3? When does the game make the check to figure out what the mobs should be for that particular player?

Carl_sl

shitlord
WoW's snappy controls with Skyrim's graphics and EVE's core gameplay in a high fantasy setting. I want to be a Dwarf bootlegger that razes towns that defy my will and takes over towns that appease my whims and I want other players to kick my ass trying to stop me.

We have to wait for someone to risk everything to progress the genre or for technology to get so far ahead that it is either not possible to make games the same way due to obsolete design requirements or technology that is far less expensive that game design goes another way.
Someone just needs to hurry up and give real elderscrolls freedom to an MMo, and combine that with players being able to fill the rolls of merchants when they (the merchants) inevitably get killed due to the level of freedom. I'm imagining opening day and all the npcs are in place doing their thing and a week later they are all getting killed on sight, and a few months later a group of players actively try to defend the npcs and boom emergent gameplay. In other words, if you have ever thought, "we can't do that feature, the sheer number of players will screw it up." Implement that feature and let us screw it up.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
... and EVE's core gameplay...
more_dots_shirt.jpg

No thanks. You can keep all those dots, lines and shit on your screen.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wildstar is fun to me. But it is the fun that I have seen before. I will buy it, I will play it, and I will enjoy it. However it will not change my life, my sheets, or my spooge soaked shorts; because it was the coolest thing since that wet dream back in 90 about Jennifer Aniston, and a vat of green Jello.

Try it, or not, it is supposed to be entertainment.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When does open beta start for this? I've tried to get into the closed but have yet to get a key.
Sometime in may.

Though I would guess you might be able to pre-order somewhere, do the weekends(only up to level 17) and then cancel , just to see for yourself.

Myrdin_sl

shitlord
This!

bayr_sl

shitlord
It feels like it can be released today, just by the people who made Allods Online or Neverwinter, and for free. Actually it should swap places with Neverwinter, since that's kind of a better action-mmo type thing

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I've got to disagree with Draegan on the old crafting and Milestones. Was not my jam. You'd basically find sword with "Proc absorb shield!" and you'd take that from your sword and put it in your current sword. Now you get a weapon crafter that has recipe for "proc absorb shield!" tell them what stats to craft and they craft it. I guess it takes less discovery out of the game, but you also had to salvage the other stats from items and you only got one chip per item and the item poofed. And then you were running around with 15 different chips for 4 specials and only 4 stats, but three different LEVELS of stats, in your inventory. Was annoying as fuck.

Milestones were cool, but they were the only type of character customization at the time. No Amps. So you basically just stacked brutality to get the effect at +200 brutality that made your whirlwind increase attack power by 3% per person hit or whatever they fuck. Really pigeon-holed everyone. You weren't going to get 200 moxie/200 brutality because you'd just get some lame +attack power bonus and +critical bonus and 0 actual effect because you'd have to have wayyyy more stat points in that category.

I'd be fine if they added Milestones back in, and in a way they do iirc, you just don't get the effects. You just get bonuses that increase the more of that stat you get.
The whole crafting thing is personal opinion. I personally love it because that meant I could "do crafting" to some degree but I didn't have to go out and spend time harvesting and leveling up other skills. It was a side game that I could take part in. I fucking hate crafting for the most part. I love taking shit a part and customizing it to the way I want as long as I don't have to play any other games to do so.

Amps are shitty. They're just vertical talent trees. If they had balls they would do a POE type of system. (I haven't seen their latest iteration though)

The current "milestones" with points into skills just reminds me of the shitty GW2 customization system. There's no thought into it. You just pick whatever skills you use the most and pump points in to them. There really isn't any thought into it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

Hell if you go by mechanics or features, everything should feel old as fuck, because its all been done before with just a different wrapper.
Because if WOW was released in 2008/9 I would expect them to have the same graphics as this game. Art style aside (I personally like it), the graphics are dated. Just to compare, ESO's graphics look really good. I think you can maintain the "cartoon" look of this game but make it look much more interesting in 2014.

The way the game plays (quest treadmill theme park) feels like it's from 2008. I mean there isn't any single innovation, step forward, or attempt at something new in any of the content. That's why it's 2008. That's why people think ESO's PVE sucks. At least ESO doesn't have you collect bear asses from my experience. Even Rift and GW2 did different things to hide the grind a different way. Rift had Rifts and events. GW2 had hearts and their whole even system.

This game has more and more quests.

It's like they took a look at WOTLK and polished the shit out of it and never looked up. If you like that type of game (a lot of people do) then this game is very very well done.

The only reason I want to play ESO over this game is because I really like the class system/building in ESO. I'll overlook the shitty PVE because I love character building. The PVP might be good too, who knows.

I see we've reached the hate train stage of pre-game release posting.

"It's a themepark!" No shit it was always supposed to be.

"The world doesn't feel alive!" no shit this game isn't made for the world its for raiding and raiders don't give two shits about a world.

"The quests are boring!" It's made in wows image by wows devs for wows players... did you think it would be different?

"Battlegrounds are stupid!" When were battlegrounds not stupid? There are exactly no examples of good battlegrounds.

"They don't cater to gamers like me who want tons of depth!" Legitimate complaint if this wasnt a year in to us knowing exactly what this game is.

Reading the last few pages has made me seriously question whether I'll even get the game after hyping it to my friends but it doesn't make the above complaints any less stupid. Honestly if you aren't playing this game to hard core raid then you fall in to the content range that is basically only there to give brand new gamers enough content to decide they too want to go raid or play arenas, of course that's going to be completely unacceptable to the people who would post on this forum. When you are a highly skilled at something competitive and a new league is formed you don't look at the low skill level play space and say the gameplay looks bad. In short, you either want the raid content and possibly arenas or you don't want this game.

On another note, the LAS does seem to suck a big dick, and the class seem to all dps in a burn your cooldowns and spam your builder format, which also sucks.
Honestly, I bet most of the people here could overlook the shitty quest grind if the game offered an interesting, fun, combat system with really cool sci-fi based classes. Instead you have 2 mage classes, a warrior with a big sword and rogue with sterile class mechanics.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

I should of just quoted this.

skylan_sl

shitlord
I probably can't comment on the most recent revisions of the game, because I haven't logged into my account since FFXIV was released. Not sure I even have beta access anymore, because I could never get a character past level 15. I really don't know what turned me off about the game so much but I've never given up on a MMORPG so easily. I did not play any dungeons, or raids. I dabbled in PVP (I think only two arenas were available last time I played) and it was OK, nothing new. The only reason I did it was because the exp was significantly greater than questing, which was extremely boring. There was nothing new, and I just couldn't get into it. I know FFXIV had nothing new, but at least they polished the hell out of everything that was redone. Wildstar just felt like they copied everything and did it in a half assed way. It was extremely dissapointing for me because I loved the humor and enthusiasm of the design team. Maybe I'll give it another shot and see how the game looks now (if I still have an account), but from the reviews it hasn't changed for the better. Very dissapointed.