Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
The third time I ran the first adventure on my Medic we had a stereotypical WoW kewl dude kiddie playing an Esper. Would just go on about how awesome his DPS all the while just randomly attacking shit instead of attack what the group was fighting. Even during the boss fights he'd just do stupid shit away from the group constantly then he'd die and bitch he didn't get heals. People like that are going to make adventures/dungeons incredibly frustrating.

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Have to say the Call of the Hero for Scientist and the Evac for Soldier seems good. Settler buffs are also good. Adventurer seems shit. It seems to take a long time to level questing in this game no matter how fast you move. I wonder if I'm, missing something when people claim to be able to hit 50 in 48 hours played.
Levelling is very fast,even more so for ppl who already levelled in beta several chars to 50 (pointless to check mine cause i was in beta since jan, but from 35 to 50 it took me 4-5 days playing 4-6h a day iirc). Dungeon/adventures arent (or so i thought when i levelled, hope it changes) very good way to lvl, and in general are detrimental if u looking to get to 50 asap, especcialy so if u going to pug em.
Certain professions also lvl way faster, see soldiers for example, cause more often than not it has shared mob/quest or on the way to your normal quests mobs/objective. Questing is still the fastest way to level.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Did the first adventure tonight. I gotta say the randoms are going to have MASSIVE problems. It wasn't remotely difficult but even getting people to understand the concept of interrupt armor and when we should use them was impossible. Not to mention people just randomly aggroing shit and refusing to let the tank pull(trust me I move very quickly, it wasn't due to pace).
And the funniest thing is, the devs have pretty much laughed at the idea of nerfing them. The complaints on the live official forums are going to start early and not stop especially given the necessity for dungeon runs for attunement (need normal dungeons for gear for heroic-analogues, need to silver the heroics to unlock the first tier of raids, etc).

Well that, and the "Do AAs for loot" stupidity.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I can certainly get behind the "integrity" they have for their game design. But it will be a matter of how much they bend to the nervous investor's will at the first quarter after launch. If the difficulty is super hard and the numbers they're looking for aren't being met...

Y'all know what happens. NERF NERF NERF.

bayr_sl

shitlord
A lot of that difficulty is the games fault for not knowing what it wants to be. It's designed to be an action game with no freelook and the main keybinds are awful. Trying to move with wasd and spam 1 is just awkward. I can only imagine the difficulty some people face trying to play it in their standard hotkey game style

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Trying to move with wasd and spam 1 is just awkward.
It's not anymore difficult than playing a Mage in WoW. Either rebind, download a mod, or get one of these...

rrr_img_67609.jpg

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
"difficult" is relative, it's completely fucking counter-intuitive is what it is
...to you. My counter point to your example of the description of that style of play being the same as playing a Mage in WoW still stands. Whether or not you find it counter-intuitive is irrelevant, as millions of people have been able to accommodate themselves to that style of play just fine and enjoy it with paying a subscription no less.

Being able to have the ability to customize the experience should be the focus of your argument and Wildstar, through mods and UI customization, has incredible depth to accommodate most people's preferences. So instead of chastising it, you should probably be praising it.
wink.png

bayr_sl

shitlord
The standard control scheme is terrible, and you are a retard. Spamming 1 with wasd movement isn't even possible, maybe your hand is completely different than any other human being's, but it's the most retarded controls ever in a game that demands movement and spamming of a single key. And yet they ship it this way. That's stupid, indefensibly so.

And you can't truly customize it, every mod for freelook has its disadvantages because the game wasn't designed for it, when it should have been. There are some okay alternatives but nothing that fixes the stupid design. And binding mouse 1 and 2 isn't supported and the mods that do it aren't very good as a result since you can't toggle or anything.

The fact is because the design is so stupid you really do need something like that monstrosity of a mouse.

Harping on about how super challenging and hardcore your game is when your default controls are just plain fucking stupid looks really dumb on their part. Do they even play their own game? It comes across as typical of their lead content designer, none other than Caydiem "I mainhand silent fang and have BWL on farm with my rogue"

So the result is a bunch of bad to average players wrestling with a dumb control scheme in challenging content. No wonder it's hard for these people when the game defaults to stupid, unintuitive controls. I don't deny you can make it semi-functional, but it ships is an awkward, ridiculous way. Is that part of the difficulty of the game? Intentionally making the controls as dumb as possible out of the box. Shit's hardcore in that case!!!!

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
hmmm dunno tbh.

With all the gripes i have with this game control system isnt one of them, for me personally at least. I dont find it any different to use than other mmos. Not being able to bind mouse 1/2 (well 2 dont matter really as i used it to free view/mouse turn on most games anyway, 1 is another matter) is midly annoying, and i dont understand why they chose to do that, but it hardly makes the game harder.
You can move around and spamm (if you really need to spamm) with mouse sidebutton. Guess it depend on the class but most have 1 builder, 1 main finisher of choice, and then abilities with a cooldown, so i hardly see what u going to spamm except the builder.

odekthal_sl

shitlord
i waited over a year for someone to bring up silent fang in this thread :')

the average keyboard has over 100 keys bind your abilities to any of them that makes the game comfortable for you to control and stop bitching about it. last i checked neither frost, pappy nor caydiem was holding a gun to my head and forced me to use 1 as my builder ability...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well his point isn't that it can't be rebound, it's that the default is shit and a lot of people use default controls cause they're too lazy/stupid to rebind shit, and the game just plays pretty poorly with its own default scheme. You really shouldn't design your controls so that they play poorly. If dashing required you to press Numpad 5 and double jump required you to open chat and type /doublejump, it would be fucking retarded, making it so you can rebind it wouldn't make it less retarded. Granted those are hyperbolic examples, 1 isn't THAT bad, but it's pretty bad.

Solutions didn't require deep thinking and massive design challenges either, you either copy Tera(left click is spammer, right click is dodge, forced autolook, toggle when you open UI/when you hold/press whatever key you bind it to) or you copy GW2(right click on spammer ability to set it to autocast, casts all the time when in combat, can be interupted by everything else so it's never an issue). They did neither.

Caliane

yeah. like double tap to dash.
why in the name of god is that default?

Same with wasd. with Q and E being strafe.

No sane person leaves it like that. so why is it that way in the first place? the 1-9 skill thing makes basically no sense from and actual hand layout point of view.

Basic 1 attack should be left click, right click, or thumb1 depending on exact nature of control scheme. (example, diable/poe basic attack is right click, since left click is click to move. while in fps left click is basic attack, since no click to move. with standard, mmo. I'd probably go thumb1.)

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well his point isn't that it can't be rebound, it's that the default is shit and a lot of people use default controls cause they're too lazy/stupid to rebind shit, and the game just plays pretty poorly with its own default scheme. You really shouldn't design your controls so that they play poorly. If dashing required you to press Numpad 5 and double jump required you to open chat and type /doublejump, it would be fucking retarded, making it so you can rebind it wouldn't make it less retarded. Granted those are hyperbolic examples, 1 isn't THAT bad, but it's pretty bad.

Solutions didn't require deep thinking and massive design challenges either, you either copy Tera(left click is spammer, right click is dodge, forced autolook, toggle when you open UI/when you hold/press whatever key you bind it to) or you copy GW2(right click on spammer ability to set it to autocast, casts all the time when in combat, can be interupted by everything else so it's never an issue). They did neither.
This. if the controls are difficult then change them. It's no ones fault but your own if you rage at the default settings and do nothing to remap them.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
This. if the controls are difficult then change them. It's no ones fault but your own if you rage at the default settings and do nothing to remap them.
Exactly.

Wildstar has some valid issues, but the default control scheme isn't one of them. Will it make the game difficult for some? Maybe, maybe not. The assumption that it would be hard, is only coming from the position that someone thinks it would be hard because it isn't the way they would do it. In reality, there are people who use the default set-up in WoW, as a Mage for instance, and play the game (and Raid) just fine. That's what my original point was attempting to convey. Just because it isn't how you would do it, doesn't make it "terrible" to the general gaming populace.

The reason they chose this scheme should be obvious, it's the standard that has been used in WoW for the last 10 years. They've stated time and time again that their target audience are the WoW players that currently aren't playing WoW and initial familiarity of the control scheme is a huge part of it. For a game that is clearly a WoW-clone, the decision make sense.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
People have been spamming 1 and using wasd for a long time. For shit to complain about, this is way up on the dumbshit list.