Windows 8

Blide_sl

shitlord
Recently I've found the mail app to be kind of buggy. Works fine until you start trying to download older emails from gmail then the thing refuses to sync properly. Not really sure of a fix.

Viktor

Molten Core Raider
iTunes is broken on Windows8. Anyone know a good audio player with a free iOS remote app?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
iTunes is broken on Windows8. Anyone know a good audio player with a free iOS remote app?
What's broken about it? I use it all the time. Other than Match being shit, which it is on every platform, it seems fine to me.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah. I actually like Metro so I'd never do that, but some people really, really hate it so I tried to start the thread off with a semi-useful link :p

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Grabbed an OEM for 80 bucks. Took less than a half hour to install. Thus far I love it. Tad quicker than Win7. Bootup is fast as shit.

I grabbed start8 for 5 bucks off Stardock. Makes everything much easier.

No driver issues. Even Creative has a Win8 set out.

9/10 thus far for me. The no start button took a point away.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
9/10 thus far for me. The no start button took a point away.
I thought this would bother me a great deal, but after a short while, I got used to the idea of just typing the first few characters of whatever I wanted to run and doing it that way. I use win-R most of the time anyway, so it's not like it's all that different anyway.

The one thing that does make me cranky is the annoyance of adding things to the Start Screen, although I might just be doing it wrong.

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
I did the easy upgrade from a fairly fresh install of Win 7 to Win 8 Pro. Very painless, installed from desktop in about 15 minutes, and only had to update one driver. I am liking so far, not sure what all the Win 8 hate was all about, its like popular bandwagon to jump on. I know some people are resisted to change, my old man of a boss, try his best to make his desktop look like Win 95 for some reason.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Personally my problem with win 8 is metro/desktop. I want to use metro, but in doing so I can't use the desktop/window the metro apps. It seems it'd be amazing on a tablet, but if I'm spending most of my time on the desktop I may as well just use 7.
Which I weird I usually love new oses/desktop environments(even Ubuntu Unity) despite others hating them. Was fine with vista too, 8 just is a pain for me to use. :/ Given time I'm sure I'll adjust but atm... :/

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I still dont have 8 on my own computer and just showing friends that its not bad and teaching them. With that said, the search in Win8 is maybe the greatest thing ive seen in an OS the last decade

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If you want to see the Metro apps at the same time as the desktop/non-Metro apps, you can always use them split-screen if you have a widescreen monitor. Move your mouse to the top left corner, find the app you want to snap, right-click and snap to either side. You can drag the separator between Metro/non-Metro to enlarge either the desktop or the Metro app to have either take up the majority of the screen that way.

It's not perfect, but it might be kind-of what you want... who knows. It also depends on whether the Metro app can display when it's in Snap mode.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I still dont have 8 on my own computer and just showing friends that its not bad and teaching them. With that said, the search in Win8 is maybe the greatest thing ive seen in an OS the last decade
I don't understand this - windows 7 did the same thing if you hadn't disabled caching.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Which I weird I usually love new oses/desktop environments(even Ubuntu Unity) despite others hating them. Was fine with vista too, 8 just is a pain for me to use. :/ Given time I'm sure I'll adjust but atm... :/
It's a lot easier if you start using Metro apps only and stop using the desktop "just because". You have to commit. That said, I know that obviously there are some apps that have no equivalent in the store as of right now. They'll come, though.

I don't understand this - windows 7 did the same thing if you hadn't disabled caching.
Then you don't really understand how the Windows 8 search works. Here's a start:http://www.guidingtech.com/13458/win...rch-make-most/

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Yeah that's the problem, most of the stuff I do requires apps that don't have metro equivalents and likely never will. Windows 8 honestly makes me feel like the next version will be spectacular. But this current one makes me want to use MacOSX or Linux more.

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
The one thing that does make me cranky is the annoyance of adding things to the Start Screen, although I might just be doing it wrong.
From the start screen, right click. Click on "All Apps" in the lower right corner. Right click on any app, pin to start option on the bottom of screen. Or if using touch/gestures - swipe up from bottom of screen, all apps, quick down swipe on whatever app you want to pin, and pin at the bottom of screen.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As frustrating as it is to deal with a whole knew OS, windows 8 is maybe the best OS Microsoft has released. Sadly people probably be naive. 8 isnt ME, Vista ect.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
I think the problem for most people is how large of a change it is in normal day to day usage. Especially if they opt for using metro purely.