Windows 8

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
From the start screen, right click. Click on "All Apps" in the lower right corner. Right click on any app, pin to start option on the bottom of screen. Or if using touch/gestures - swipe up from bottom of screen, all apps, quick down swipe on whatever app you want to pin, and pin at the bottom of screen.
And there we go. The answer was right in my face, and I was still doing it wrong (manually adding things to the actual Start Screen folder in Explorer). Thanks!

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Win8 metro looks great on a big screen tv. I put it on my media server. I think businesses will have the worst of it. Trying to train all those clueless workers will be a nightmare.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I dunno. Corporations can make their own Metro applications with whatever functionality they want and server admins can push them to all networked computers. I don't think it'll be that hard to teach employees, "Click this tile. Do your grunt work."

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I dunno. Corporations can make their own Metro applications with whatever functionality they want and server admins can push them to all networked computers. I don't think it'll be that hard to teach employees, "Click this tile. Do your grunt work."
Yeah, it will be. At least for me. No fucking way am I going near 8. We'll be migrating from XP to 7 sometime in the new year, but that's it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I bought Start8 a couple months back and haven't looked back. I just use the desktop way too much to be bothered with Metro.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
Likely what I would do but in that case I'll just stick with 7 and not deal with it. There is zero reason to upgrade to 8 and by the time any game comes out needing it we'll be well into the next version.

Depending on how things go, Microsoft might be in a completely different position by then.

Blide_sl

shitlord
Rumor is Windows 8 will eventually turn into Windows Blue through a service pack. From there Microsoft intends to do yearly OS upgrades like Apple does.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Win8 metro looks great on a big screen tv. I put it on my media server. I think businesses will have the worst of it. Trying to train all those clueless workers will be a nightmare.
Well shit.
Going to migrate to 7 next year I guess, and sitting it out for a while from then on.
Last OS we bought was NT 4.0 in 1999 and XP in 2006. So whatever will be tested and proven to be stable in 2020 probably is the next thing I adapt to.

Won't stop me from installing 8 on my work computer though. Someone has to travel ahead.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Rumor is Windows 8 will eventually turn into Windows Blue through a service pack. From there Microsoft intends to do yearly OS upgrades like Apple does.
That would be fine, if they charged $20 per upgrade like Apple does. =)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
can somebody please tell me a quick way to shut down on win 8? moving cursor to corner then hitting options then power button is a bit annoying.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah, but i guess im just being a whiny bitch because i miss my old school windows setup. i keep clicking bottom left icon for the START button and i keep opening up IE. every time i want to log out i do the same thing and i curse out windows 8

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
seems like the problem isn't so much with Windows 8 as it is with you being a fucking retard.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
seems like the problem isn't so much with Windows 8 as it is with you being a fucking retard.
You dont just make huge changes like that, W8 was very frustrating for me at first and I was able to pick up on most things the first hour or 2 but this is my job, I really dont see the reasoning behind getting rid of the start button and making it IE of all things. IE is better than chrome/Firefox currently but what are you gaining removing the start button? Chuk isnt an idiot when it comes to computers but im sure he's annoyed having to shut his computer down only if you're a computer person. I shouldnt have to show every customer how to do simple tasks like that

W8 is amazing but when it comes to certain things/people they fucked it up for no reason. 50% of the complaints could have been fixed easily with a patch well before the release

Silence_sl

shitlord
You dont just make huge changes like that, W8 was very frustrating for me at first and I was able to pick up on most things the first hour or 2 but this is my job, I really dont see the reasoning behind getting rid of the start button and making it IE of all things. IE is better than chrome/Firefox currently but what are you gaining removing the start button?
They moved the start button to the entire metro ui.

Absolutely shitacular design.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
win+r -> shutdown -s -t 0

Better yet, make a shortcut.

Quick shutdown. No mouse.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Since when is IE the best browser btw ?
IE 9 is actually good and 10 is fantastic. Chrome and firefox went to utter shit the last year or so and if its Not IE it has to be Waterfox but it only runs on 64 bit systems