Windows 8

Siliconemelons

"Windows 8 is fine! You just have to actively avoid the core thing that makes it Windows 8."
Classic Shell makes windows 8 good... never seeing metro makes life good... the core of win 8 is very improved over 7, so 10 should be an overall welcome upgrade - just toss metro crap in a little start menu offshoot for those that enjoy that crap.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
So, should I upgrade? Currently running 8.1 and I don't want to be burned like with Vista. I haven't kept tabs on 10 I have l no clue what its bringing to the table other than a new shiny start bar.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
So, should I upgrade? Currently running 8.1 and I don't want to be burned like with Vista. I haven't kept tabs on 10 I have l no clue what its bringing to the table other than a new shiny start bar.
Why don't you check out 10 and get back to us with your findings?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ohhh you use the metro bar for stuff. the only reason i go to the metro screen is to search. You are doing it wrong.
Yeah, I've been running 8/8.1 since release and think I've seen the metro screen like 5-10 max. And I just use Windows + S for search and stay completely on the desktop.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
"Windows 8 is fine! You just have to actively avoid the core thing that makes it Windows 8."
Other than needing Classic Start/Shell to avoid Metro, which isn't the only thing that makes Windows 8(.1) different than 7, I'm honestly curious why people on this board who are even remotely tech savvy would avoid 8.

1) Better gaming performance (albeit only 2-5% but itisbetter).
2) Faster boot times.
3) Faster file transfer speeds.

Those 3 things alone make it a better OS. There are other improvements to 8 but to avoid it simply because "OMFG METRO SUCKS!" is such a stupid argument. It takes like 15 seconds to go to ninite.com and install Classic Shell. I get it, having such a stupid simple fix is really back breaking and the default UI that Microsoft made standard with 8 is terribad. But a system with Classic Start beats 7 out in pretty much every other department.

Siliconemelons

Other than needing Classic Start/Shell to avoid Metro, which isn't the only thing that makes Windows 8(.1) different than 7, I'm honestly curious why people on this board who are even remotely tech savvy would avoid 8.

1) Better gaming performance (albeit only 2-5% but itisbetter).
2) Faster boot times.
3) Faster file transfer speeds.

Those 3 things alone make it a better OS. There are other improvements to 8 but to avoid it simply because "OMFG METRO SUCKS!" is such a stupid argument. It takes like 15 seconds to go to ninite.com and install Classic Shell. I get it, having such a stupid simple fix is really back breaking and the default UI that Microsoft made standard with 8 is terribad. But a system with Classic Start beats 7 out in pretty much every other department.
Indeed 8 is a better core than 7 and also has increased features- and yes, you literally will deal with metro for the profile set up and click on the "desktop" metro tile- then click on IE, search Classic Shell, download, install, boom- its "windows 7" with better performance.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I like the Windows 8.1 start screen menu. It took me a few months of forcing myself but it's very handy. I still boot to desktop obviously, but when I click start/hit windows key, the new one is not bad if set up properly.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I dig 10, ive been using it on my primary system since Jan? Ive used every iteration of it thus far as well from gaming to working and just about any other every day task. I like it more than i liked 7 and i liked 7 more than 8 and 8.1. However i didnt hate 8.1 with classic shell start menu anyways.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Upgraded my 4 week old Reddit-purchased Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Won't activate, key has been blocked by the activation server.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Upgraded my 4 week old Reddit-purchased Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Won't activate, key has been blocked by the activation server.
Only the technical preview is out right now. It uses a generic key.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Oh I know, but on my other desktop and both tablets running 10 I am pretty sure it never said 'the specified product key has been blocked'.