Windows 8

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They will act as genuine in all ways that matter, they just won't have a license, a warranty or tech support.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Which most people who pirate Windows don't care about anyway. So, net win for the pirates.

Edit: Win8.1 running on my gaming box again, frame rates are back where they should be, MSI Afterburner works properly again and no more freezing in FFXIV. I'm sure they'll work it out by launch time, or shortly thereafter.

Silence_sl

shitlord
The reason the tier 1 guys have you reset the PRAM and go through what seems like retard steps is because if they dont, their tier 2 ("senior advisors") wont even take a second look at your case.

This includes pram/smc reset, safe mode, new user, reinstallation of osx (both with and withour erasing the hard drive).

Some of them are genuine assholes who dont know how to turn on a computer, the rest are just covering their asses since nothing burns them more then having to talk to tier 2 twice (they get graded on this) because they didnt make you jump through hoops.

Definitely agree QC has taken a nose dive as of late, hoping ios 9 breaks this pattern, and the same goes for the next version of OS X. The sentiment is definitely shared internally.
Not much good QC or software design out of Apple, yet.

Updated the Mini to the new version of OSX that includes the new Photos app. Photos crashed 3x trying to import. More spam garbage in the pics folder to delete...20GB of it. Once it finally did work (2 hours later), more of Apple's complete aversion to an organizational standard called "Folders". It just dumps all the pictures into one big pile. It's not smart enough to preserve existing folder structures, so more dumping of pics into large piles everywhere even if you create individual albums...and I'll be fucked if I'm going to create 5800 albums just so I can have something resembling order. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Also, Photos has an option not to copy pics into the app itself, which would lead you to believe that it creates thumbnails of existing pics...nope. It still copies them. Apple just really has no clue on the desktop anymore.

I can't wait for W10 to come out so I can turn my Mini into a real computer.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I magically starting receiving news notification pop-ups from the Windows 8 "Money" app. No idea why it started doing this nor can I find an option anywhere to tell it to shut the hell up. And, no, it's not already opened in the background or anything. Weird.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Been running the latest technical preview on my surface pro 2 for the last week or so and it seems pretty solid. A few issues like the bluetooth drivers being a bit flakey (as the were on windows 8/8.1), random prompts for tablet mode and clicking on some notifications doing nothing.

The new start menu is decent and having metro apps in windows (making them sometimes worth using) is nice, but they really need to update all the settings windows and such to the new style. It's weird going from one window in the metro style, clicking advanced options and getting a new window that hasn't really changed from Windows XP. It's not a big deal, but having the design of the UI being consistent would be nice.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Latest build.

Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10061 now available

Interested in the UI tweaks in tablet mode.

Also a known bug in this version, rofl:

The version of the Mail and Calendar apps included in this build (17.4008.42281.0) havea known issue that causes every typed letter to appear twice. Which might be funny if it weren?t so irritating. We have fixed this issue with updated versions of the apps (17.4016.42291.0) available in the Windows Store Beta (grey tile). If you don?t open the Mail and Calendar apps within the first 15 minutes after logging in to your device for the first time after upgrading and your device is connected to the Internet, the apps should update automatically. You can also go into the Store Beta and check for updates manually at any time.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
DDaammnn,, tthhaatt''ss aa ppaaiinn..

No, really. Who doesn't check that shit before release? GG.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
This isn't release.
Okay, I'll see your semantics, and raise you: Was the build released to public beta? Yessir, it was. Whoever was working on that app and didn't check such an obvious QA issue has a serious priority issue or five.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Its almost like they released a bets to check these bugs!

SHOCKING!
No he is right. Even for a public beta you would still have QA run basic smoketests and automation run it's own regression suites. The team responsible for the Mail and Calendar app should have caught something this obvious unless every resource has been pulled to do something else.