Windows 8

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Oh try getting homegroup going, the computers see the host, but wont accept the password. ITs like, what. What are you doing windows. Google homegroup won't take password and MS is just stuck in a tard loop because they just cant soak in that their product has a problem.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I dunno, took me all of half a minute to figure it out. One is the settings menu for those two actions and the other is the actions themselves.

One is for sharing current content and the other is for sending it to a device like a printer. I opened an email and I could print it from devices. I opened a news app and I could share it through email or the people app.

Granted I never use it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Why would Microsoft make charms in the first place?

So many questions.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Charms are great on a tablet, but I think they should be disabled and replaced with something else on any non-touch device.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Charms are great on a tablet, but I think they should be disabled and replaced with something else on any non-touch device.
And I get that. The classic desktop and start menu system suck balls for multitouch control. Anyone who has used a tablet to remote into a W7 and earlier PC knows this. It just isn't built with touch in mind. But combining the classic desktop with the windows tablet start/settings wasn't doing PC users any favors.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The classic start menu sucks balls on the PC as well. I am happy it is gone and replaced with something better.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
But combining the classic desktop with the windows tablet start/settings wasn't doing PC users any favors.
That's why I wondered why you would try and use the touch interface on a pc when you can still do things the old way

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Just installed 8.1 on my home computer after using 8 on my work computer.

Seriously, just install Classic Start off of Ninite, problem solved - it is a better OS than 7 with that program installed. Dumb that Microsoft is too fucking stupid to have it built in? Yes. But still a better OS overall.

So does anyone know where any good deals on Windows 8 or 8.1 can be had? I just couldn't be assed to spend the $40 at release and now its $100 or something for the regular edition. My Windows 7 install is a couple of years old now and starting to crumble so time for a fresh reinstall. Thought I might try 8 now that it has had some time to mature a bit. Looking for legit copies only.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm a Windows/PC guy, but the way Windows 8 does things mystifies me.

My Dad's got a bit of a problem with some of his apps. For example, he'll start the default photo application and it will run normally--but as soon as you click on any of the pictures or try to go into any of the folders, it crashes. This is the only app that does this reliably, but the Mail app is acting funny too.

Is there any way to reinstall the default app's? And/or any other insight into this issue?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, stop using the metro apps and set his default to window photo viewer/outlook.

The metro apps don't work near as well as the equivalent regular desktop programs.