Witcher 3

DMK_sl

shitlord
I purposely didn't pre order a hard copy of The Witcher 3 because I probably would have fucked it right in the cd hole. My dick is ready for this game.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I purposely didn't pre order a hard copy of The Witcher 3 because I probably would have fucked it right in the cd hole. My dick is ready for this game.
God damnit....

Welp, I've succumbed to the hype and just pre-loaded on Steam. THIS BETTER BE GOOD GOD DAMNIT

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Am I retarded for willing to spend an extra $12 to get it on Steam? (I can get it for $42 on Green Man Gaming) I would assume it'll be crazy modded at some point and by getting it on Steam it'll be easy to get stuff through the workshop as I'm lazy.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Get it right from gog.com, it's there store and they have a steam like client in beta for games now as well

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Get it right from gog.com, it's there store and they have a steam like client in beta for games now as well
If you use hola and set it to Ukraine, you can pick it up for around 21 USD directly from gog.com. If you can afford it, its probably better to support companies like this by paying full price though.

rrr_img_97899.jpg

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just watched a guy repeatedly try to do a (mini)boss. Seemed equal level. Guess he was playing on the higher difficulties. It played like Bloodborne. Dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, hit, dodge, parry, hit, dodge, miss parry 50% of his HP gone, dodge, panic, die.

Watched 5 attempts. Had to use different skills, time moves, and on the 5th attempt he got the mob to 40ish%, it spawned adds and got regen. When he died the boss was back to 90+% hp and there was a not too subtle sound of a controller hitting the floor, and chatspam of "Witcherborne". I'm absolutely starting this game at max difficulty.

Downside, loading screens upon death was also similar to Bloodborne, which seems to be another reason to get it on the PC. Glad I made room on the SSD.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
CDPR are primarily a PC centered dev.
*Were :

When it comes to The Witcher 3, you haven?t talked much about its technical side. Let me quote your statement for Game Industry of March 2013: ?The PC allows for more at the moment, but new platforms are stepping up. In the future, it should be much easier to unify the requirements.? Has that future arrived?

I think so. It is impossible to make a game for three different platforms that will utilize all of the various platforms? unique features and specs. It?s a technical fact. Making an exclusive title allows to squeeze more out of the target device.
The Witcher 3 is a rich production full of unique characters and a few thousand people. Let?s not forget castles, two large cities and the enormity of the world that has to be filled up. We?ve done everything we could to make the game look spectacular. And this doesn?t depend on the platform? We could up the resolution in the PC version, as the hardware is stronger, but at the same time we wouldn?t be able to do something new, like, e.g., rewriting the rendering engine that would be able to render such an amount of triangles. If we had lightmaps of interiors, the game would have looked much smoother, but in this case we wouldn?t have managed to simultaneously provide dynamic lightning in an open world. The game would have chunked all of the memory, even on PCs.
Platform unification exists ? we have a single build, which is distributed to each one of them. The game is the same; the draw distance is the same.Minor differences result from the fact that the GPU has different parameters on different consoles, which can result in, e.g., the changes in color temperatures.

How will the PC ultra version hold up against consoles?

It will be possible to spot differences in, for example, Nvidia HairWorks, but those are very demanding graphically, so a strong PC will be needed. What I?m about to say might not be diplomatic. In the future you will be able to turn on the option of ubersampling, which, upon the release of The Witcher 2, was killing the game, and will probably do the same with this title, so we don?t want to unlock it for now. It makes the game look better, but the requirements are insane.

Are all the textures and models the same?

Yes, there is only one version, otherwise we wouldn?t be able to make the game in time.We would have to take it all apart, and then build it and test it on three different platforms at the same time, which is impossible to do. Therefore, we have one common basis, and then transfer it to other platforms.
We manage it differently on platforms with less memory. Less complex models are loaded; it all depends on what is going on on the screen at the moment. To sum up, there are only a few differences between PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. They are not aimed at changing the configuration; instead their purpose is to solve certain problems.
Source

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Any game that has a simultaneous console release is made this way. The reason you do such a thing is because console releases are extremely profitable due to a much wider market. Higher expected sales from a wider market means a much larger budget. A much larger budget means more features such as a huge open world stuffed to the brim with content.

CDPR made the right call, PC centered or not. I'll trade a little graphical horsepower for a significantly better game with more content any day of the week. Thank you consoles.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just watched a guy repeatedly try to do a (mini)boss. Seemed equal level. Guess he was playing on the higher difficulties. It played like Bloodborne. Dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, hit, dodge, parry, hit, dodge, miss parry 50% of his HP gone, dodge, panic, die.

Watched 5 attempts. Had to use different skills, time moves, and on the 5th attempt he got the mob to 40ish%, it spawned adds and got regen. When he died the boss was back to 90+% hp and there was a not too subtle sound of a controller hitting the floor, and chatspam of "Witcherborne". I'm absolutely starting this game at max difficulty.

Downside, loading screens upon death was also similar to Bloodborne, which seems to be another reason to get it on the PC. Glad I made room on the SSD.
I really don't trust CD Projekt's ability to tune combat to do a first playthrough on the hardest difficulty (assuming it's ridiculous).

Tecknoe, if you can't afford to buy this game then go get another job. This isn't the kind of game you pirate!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
One look at the configuration xml shows that that interview is not telling the whole story.

Even if one assumes that a PS4 can somehow run the game on the equivalent of "High" PC settings, the differences between High and Ultra are still very significant:

Shadow maps are 50% larger, and the distance at which shadows are drawn/drawn well is vastly increased.
Terrain is much higher quality.
Water tesselation factor is doubled.
Grass density is 20% greater.
Texture memory budget is 800MB instead of only 500MB*
Twice as much foliage visibility depth (I believe this is how realistic the trees look).
Decals are visible twice as far away.

* - Personally I don't believe the PS4, let alone the even weaker Xbone, is capable of dedicating 500MB to textures, which is why I tend to believe the consoles are actually running Medium settings and not High. Quick google check is telling me that Infamous Second Son and The Order 1886 only used around 250MB of texture budget, which would put them in line with PC Medium settings (300MB).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

This makes me happy. If the combat is that difficult I'll be so happy

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Difficulty is fine as long as they give you interesting tools and choices to defeat it. Mass dodging while pricking the boss to death is not interesting and only one binary choice.