[WoD] Garrison Optimization Launch Thread

EnigmaticParadigm

Molten Core Raider
Almost 24 hours to go until folks scream out and set trends. Since Garrisons are going to be such a huge component of the upcoming expansion, I was hoping we could have a thread that deals with min/max builds so folks don't spend hard earned time/gold on strats that don't pan out. I read a bunch of good posts that were buried in the official WoD thread, but they got buried as fast as they were posted.

Show us your best! Side note, for those that have been with WoW since the beginning, it's been T E N years...Jesus...10 years. I'm 2 away from 40 and blessed to be enjoying this game, but I can't imagine those that still play EQ since Vanilla...that's, what, 1999 to now...man...talk about history.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Garrisons1.png

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I think the idea is to swap the Barracks for a Bunker/War Mill as soon as you get 98 or close to Nagrand (which is probably the former) for the upgrades to quest reward which boost a bit your ilvl before you enter max level dungeons. Until then, use the Barracks patrol missions to level your followers faster. Build back the Barracks once your garrison is upgraded to 3 at level 100 (which apparently takes a pretty hefty amount of resources; if you're levelling fast, they might not be available for when you ding 100).

If, like me, you have a nearly empty bank because everything went into the reagent tab, then there's no need for the Enchanter Study to dez. Once you have an enchanter guildmate with it, just use that one from time to time (guildmate invites you, go to his garrison, disenchant, say "thanks mate").

The Lumbermill is probably the better choice for getting more garrison resources (meaning faster upgrading/more costly missions). But, on an overcrowded server, you might run into trouble getting enough trees I think. The Trading Post is a fallback if you do have resource gathering profs available, but its problem is that you can't increase its yield, and the work orders cost is random for the day (you may lack the resources to fill up the queue). Going to bet on Lumbermill on my main, Trading Post on gathering alt, and see for the other alts how that ends up.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Lumber Mill also has a time issue. At 20GR/4hours, if you do any upgrading to it at all, it's going to take forever to produce more garrison resources than it cost to build/upgrade. Phylarch doubles that, after the building is already level 3, but with the number of days you'll have to wait to see profit, I'd rather just skip lumbermill and get straight to Inn/Barn level 3 unlock progression.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
That is an intersting point about the cost of the lumber mill I am somewhat torn on what I want for my second medium I know I want a barn because my main is a skinner/leatherworker but for the second I am torn between inn/trading post/lumber mill. I kinda want to do the trading post first to get the rep bonus rolling for all my alts ASAP but having the inn to speed up getting specific followers to power certain buildings could be useful too. Probably will wind up going trading post just because you can recoup some GR with it and the rep bonus and it has some nice rewards for maxing its rep.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It's weird that with the changes to normal flasks the Alchemy garrison plot produces BoP workorder items that are only used if you have the profession.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes the alchemy seems one of the least useful of those buildings for those who are not of that profession due to that. Still nice for what consumables it does make though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lumber Mill also has a time issue. At 20GR/4hours, if you do any upgrading to it at all, it's going to take forever to produce more garrison resources than it cost to build/upgrade. Phylarch doubles that, after the building is already level 3, but with the number of days you'll have to wait to see profit, I'd rather just skip lumbermill and get straight to Inn/Barn level 3 unlock progression.
Don't you think that having neither Trading Post nor Lumber Mill would end up with GR holding you back?

I still don't really see the point of the inn. The missions/dailies are nothing special, and there's not a huge need for the pick-a-follower thing when there's a quest for one of each. I'm going with Barn and Trading Post myself. TP is good at the start for making more GR, then later on it's got the convenience factor of the built-in AH and the ability to convert excess GR back into materials as needed.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
One of the Inn's missions grants extra Loot-Roll Seals, going past the 3-cap for the week. In beta, it appeared at least once a week.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Didn't know about that mission, but I still can't see starting off without a GR building. The extra seal is probably going to be worth switching to inn later on though, but it'll suck to lose the AH. I was really looking forward to never having to hang out in some hub with so fucking many people in it that the game is constantly loading and unloading models.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm really hoping they add a 4th level to the garrison in the mid-expansion patch. A third large and medium lot would be awesome. There's at least one spot obviously left for expansion in the size 3 garrison.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Yeah there is a small lot in the 3rd garrison that is empty. I figured it was for some sort of 'you complete the raid tier, get a new building' reward

Silence_sl

shitlord
So, do we get other blueprints from drops randomly?
AFAIK, they can be purchased and dropped. All I see so far are level 2. Plans drop from mobs in the form of two different books...one for small/medium building and one for large. Turn them into an NPC in Ashran for your choice of building plan. One book per plan. I think the plan then becomes permanently known, so you can swap buildings without having to hunt down/purchase plans again.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
You receive 2 of these items from quests, the recommendation is to use the quest rewards for the large buildings you are planning on using to save some coin. I've only received those 2 so far (halfway through 95 fwiw) and have bought the few other upgrades I have.

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
You receive 2 of these items from quests, the recommendation is to use the quest rewards for the large buildings you are planning on using to save some coin. I've only received those 2 so far (halfway through 95 fwiw) and have bought the few other upgrades I have.
lvl 2 plans are either bought from vendor for 750g or with the quest drops. lvl 3 plans are unlocked, account-wide, via achievements.