[WoD] Garrison Optimization Launch Thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK so, are Garrison followers randomized at all? Is my next door neighbor going to have sweet ass Star Trek Bridge Officer skills while I get trolled by RNG?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Some traits are fixed, some traits are random. You will always be able to find at least one follower that can be assigned to each building that supports it.

Your neighbor might get more rare/epic followers than you due to RNG, but rare/epic doesn't actually affect their production bonus anymore (only level matters) and once a follower gets to 100 there's an xp bar from green to blue and blue to purple. All rare/epic does is increase the number of skills they have, which generally makes missions easier to plan for.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
About followers and mission levels. Are the available missions you get based off of your character level? The problem I am having is that the character I am actively leveling has followers trailing behind mission levels making them more risky to complete. The character that I just got up to 93 to do daily mission stuff with has followers that are walking through most available missions in general. I feel like I may have hamstrung my progress my trying to get 96 / salvage yard on my main.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm optimizing my garrison by leaving it after the intro. This shit is the gayest shit they've ever added to the game, and they've added a lot of stupid shit.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
About followers and mission levels. Are the available missions you get based off of your character level? The problem I am having is that the character I am actively leveling has followers trailing behind mission levels making them more risky to complete. The character that I just got up to 93 to do daily mission stuff with has followers that are walking through most available missions in general. I feel like I may have hamstrung my progress my trying to get 96 / salvage yard on my main.
One thing to note is your followers still get XP even if they fail so while it may get tougher for a bit even a failed higher level quest winds up being pretty rewarding for them xp wise which seems to get them up to snuff pretty quickly. And once you get the salvage yard unlocked then you can start gearing them up which should help even more.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah it's a delicate balance of doing something useful with them as much as you can and keeping enough GR around. Right now I have 1500 GR and I am not wasting it since I need 2k to unlock Garrison level 3.
I have been running a ton of missions and still on pace for having what I need to unlock garrison level 3 when I am ready for that. One thing to note is when you are out in the field kill rares if you see one. Almost all of them drop at least some garrison resources so most are worth one or two follower missions for a kill.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Yeah 2k GR is pretty simple to get if you just go treasure/rare hunting in between BG/heroic queues. I'm at like 1700 and I've been fking around on my tradepost converting GR to herbs.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Until I get a trade post is there a better way for a lw to get gorgrond flytraps than dropping 300-500g a day on the AH?

So far I've just been stockpiling crap because I don't know exactly what I need for the trade post. Does it just pick a random mat each day?

Just wondering what shit I should be selling off and what I should hold on to. It's hard to know with so many cross-dependencies (my LW patterns need ore, but the mine gives me more than enough)

Vitality

HUSTLE
Picks a random mat each day yup. You unlock the herb garden at 96 (iirc). Upgrading the herb garden to level 2 lets you pick a specific herb for them to plant. You need to assign an herbalism follower to be able to specifiy fly traps.

Hope this helps.
Herb Garden Source

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Shit I had no idea you could specify what they plant. I think I finally have a herbalist follower too.

I'm sad that the fishing shack doesn't poop out free fish for you.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Shit I had no idea you could specify what they plant. I think I finally have a herbalist follower too.

I'm sad that the fishing shack doesn't poop out free fish for you.
I'm not, fish are worth more than herbs on my server, so I just fish like a fiend and sell them then buy up herbs with the coin I make.

Which is another viable option for you as well now that I think about it.

Fish between bg/heroic queues baybay

Vorph

Later on you will get higher level followers, and you can even buy a L100 one (for 5k) when you hit L100 yourself--assuming you've been following the quest path you will easily be revered with CoE.

The high level followers can powerlevel the lower ones on the 2-3 man missions. Very important though, do not try to send a newb follower on a mission where their level is red. They will get NO EXPERIENCE. Only send them to be PL'ed on missions that con orange to them. It also gets easier to do once you have a rank 2 dwarven bunker and can start to equip them with gear, which improve their success chances.

Yeah 2k GR is pretty simple to get if you just go treasure/rare hunting in between BG/heroic queues. I'm at like 1700 and I've been fking around on my tradepost converting GR to herbs.
Sure, 2k is simple, but it's actually a little over 4k to get the garrison to rank 3 and everything else to rank 2. That requires some serious time investment running around the world with HandyNotes_DraenorTreasures installed to pick up all the treasures and kill all the rares. Right now I've done almost everything in SMV, Talador, and Spires, and I'm still short a few hundred GR for my bunker and haven't even thought about upgrading the barracks yet.

I hit 100 without even setting foot in Nagrand though, and still need to go back to the L100 areas in the early zones, so I'm not too worried about running out of things to do before I get all the GR I need. It just takes an ungodly amount of time to do it all with slow ass ground riding.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Damn son got 100 without nagrand? Nagrand was the fastest zone in the game for me due to the tankworks seige engine just mowing down fields of mobs and quests.

If you do go to nagrand be sure to find the 3 fishing treasures for the uber ass follower

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Once rares and treasure chests for resources are done yeah that'll probably be a pretty good lazy way to get gold, since it doesn't take much work to queue up days of work orders. But right now there is still a ton other crap to do in the world like farming to cap factions, plus getting the apexis crystals for the ring quest. Plenty to stay busy, but no feeling of having a gun to one's head like early MOP with the forest of blue "!" screaming at you.

I don't think there's much worry about getting the ilevel to start raiding, unless you really want to try to get the ideal stats on your 630 gear so you can jump right into heroic.

And I also was 100 before Nagrand. So I'm doing the storyline first and skipping the side quests until after.

Vorph

Damn son got 100 without nagrand? Nagrand was the fastest zone in the game for me due to the tankworks seige engine just mowing down fields of mobs and quests.

If you do go to nagrand be sure to find the 3 fishing treasures for the uber ass follower
Yeah, Nagrand is on the menu for today after I go kill all the L100 rares in SMV/Talador/Spires for some loot. Got to 100 without it because my friend and I prioritized getting rares and treasures while leveling, plus I got to 700 mining one day while waiting for him to get through an 8 hour queue.

Back on the tradeskill discussion from pre-release: keeping my gather skill worked out ok in the end, now I've got hundreds of ores and no chance of ever running out. Sadly, as expected, ore is practically worthless on the AH... people put it up for a price that would be a nice profit but no one's buying because mine carts make it completely pointless. (Side note--why the fuck is there such a massive disparity in the amount of resources generated by the mine vs. the garden??) The one disappointment I have about mining is that I expected having the actual skill would make it so that I could unlock the rank 3 mine much faster, but some asshat decided it would be a good idea to make draenic stone be about a 5% drop from ore nodes out in the wild. Trying to brute force that achievement is a huge waste of time; basically it's only worth keeping mining for more than a couple days if you really want the companion pet. That shit's rare though, I've mined hundreds of nodes and have not gotten it. Now that I've gotten all I need out of mining I'm going to drop it today for BS and powerlevel that to 600 with all the ore I stockpiled last week in preparation.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
May as well be a cart track from the mine to the trading post.

Followup to earlier question: Do the trading post work orders cycle with each order, or daily? Because dumping days worth of ore each time it pops up sounds ideal.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
May as well be a cart track from the mine to the trading post.

Followup to earlier question: Do the trading post work orders cycle with each order, or daily? Because dumping days worth of ore each time it pops up sounds ideal.
The trading post wants a random item each day.

Yesterday mine wanted herbs and today it wants fur. I loaded up 19 work orders yesterday.