Wonka (2023)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Looks like it has nothing to do with Willy Wonka and more like a Harry Potter film

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Something so off about the whole thing. Oof.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The bit with the Oompa Loompa was cute but everything about this rings hollow. It wants to be whimsical but is instead spurious.

I don't think CGI helps attempts at live action fairy tales in the slightest. It doesn't look fantastical. It looks cheap.
This. It's not quirky, it's jarring.

And Timothee Chalamet seems like a miscast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I feel this about 99% of the movies he is in.

Definitely felt like a Harry Potter movie. Might as well be a movie about Honeydukes.

Last edited:

Caliane

I'm gonna be honest.

That looks fucking cringe.

From the focus on the BIPOC sidekick, the exaggerated dialogue style, the "we need to explain the origins of every little thing from the original", and the modern forced humor undercutting every serious moment.

This will be another Han Solo-esque trainwreck.
yeah it looks bad. Another element. remember the real world outside of the Factory was normal and dreary. no one knew what was beyond the gates. here, they have everyone singing and dancing and watching magic out in giant crowds..

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What does stop Astrocreep? Please, we need to know.

Yeah, I am the Astro-Creep
A demolition style hell American freak, yeah
I am the crawling dead
A phantom in a box, shadow in your head say
Acid suicide
Freedom of the blast, read the fucking lies, yeah
Scratch off the broken skin
Tear into my heart make me do it again, yeah

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Jousting at windmills. You cannot improve or elaborate on the original, its perfect.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not saying it looks good but can't be much worse than Burtons

• 1Seriously?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

Thing is, I think Chalamet would be great casting for a young version of Johhny Depp as Willy Wonka.

The problem is that Johnny Depp Willy Wonka fucking sucked.

A movie about young Gene Wilders Wonka might be fun though. Have him start all bright eyed and optimistic, and by the end hes the jaded and sarcastic Wonka we know and love.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Watched that ridiculous trailer and it deserves a second post.

Lets skip right over the obligatory magic black girl and just go right to the fact that they're casting full size people as Oompa Loompas, denying Little People the roles they were born for. That is some fucking appropriation right there. Wheres the outrage?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
The bit with the Oompa Loompa was cute but everything about this rings hollow. It wants to be whimsical but is instead spurious.

I don't think CGI helps attempts at live action fairy tales in the slightest. It doesn't look fantastical. It looks cheap.
Was that Hugh Grant as the Oompa Loompa?

Sevens

Log Wizard
What does stop Astrocreep? Please, we need to know.
tumblr_msoa8c5a3P1qcvteuo4_250.gif

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande

He fits in really well with Depp's gay Wonka. That movie appeared to be set in industrial Northern England though, while this one appears to be Victorian Paris.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
He doesn't seem detached and quirky enough to be Wonka. Both Wilder and Depp portrayed him as someone so disconnected from other people that neither one had any empathy. Maybe this movie will show him growing into that reclusive hermit, but the trailer showed Chalamet as the complete opposite.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users