Woodworking

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Anyone know of a manufacturer/supplier for stuff like table legs, that also offers 3d models for stuff like Fusion 360 and SketchUp? whoo whoo ? I'm hoping I can find one supplier that has a bunch of 3d models for their shit, and part numbers I can order from them directly.

if you don't know, how about just some names of the big companies that sell this kind of shit? I'll go look and see if they offer fusion models with their parts.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Anyone know of a manufacturer/supplier for stuff like table legs, that also offers 3d models for stuff like Fusion 360 and SketchUp? whoo whoo ? I'm hoping I can find one supplier that has a bunch of 3d models for their shit, and part numbers I can order from them directly.

if you don't know, how about just some names of the big companies that sell this kind of shit? I'll go look and see if they offer fusion models with their parts.
I don't think there are any suppliers that provide CAD/CAM files. Those files would be their secret sauce. Many do provide CAD drawing pdf files, but they are usually 2d and not detailed enough to copy the part exactly.

See Osborne Wood Products as an example. Unfinished Wooden Furniture Legs and Table Legs by Osborne Wood

Let me know if you have good luck with their dxf files

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't think there are any suppliers that provide CAD/CAM files. Those files would be their secret sauce. Many do provide CAD drawing pdf files, but they are usually 2d and not detailed enough to copy the part exactly.

See Osborne Wood Products as an example. Unfinished Wooden Furniture Legs and Table Legs by Osborne Wood

Ahhhh, perfect. Thank you. Haven't found any on their website yet, but 3d warehouse and grabcad have models

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Ahhh, I see it now. Thanks. The .stl files are all dxf for some reason, but I guess I can get around that. Thanks for the help

1695096742190.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction whoo. I was not able to get the 3d models on their website to work, but I found some on 3D warehouse that I could convert from dae to stl. I'm going to email them and see if they can help me figure out how to get theirs to work on Fusion.

I know these legs are ugly, but they're the most complex ones I found and I wanted to see how the model works when it gets complex.

I'm working on setting up a parametric template (again) that I can use to send ideas out for comments and markups, and also create a cut list for the CNC.

Still learning, but I like what I see so far.

1000006890.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Detailed breakdown and testing of finishes vs various kinds of liquids, plus some surprising/important info about VOCs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
theyve been slowly uploading the new yankee workshop on youtube, s8 out of 21 so far

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
theyve been slowly uploading the new yankee workshop on youtube, s8 out of 21 so far

Used to watch it every week. My dad used to make fun of Norm relentlessly for his pronunciation in closing speech about getting a "measured drawring"

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Good stuff in that 1st episode you don’t really see these days from many YouTubers. Radial arm saw and belt sander.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so bearded guy (i never knew his name)wanted to quit had other stuff going on, and instead of trying to replace him, they stopped the show, cuz the show was him, the youtube has regular updates by a guy named russ, and he's the producer and owner of the garage(its not a set), thats why it's still intact

the chair

and he visits to look at the chair

Siliconemelons

"Hi, I am Norm Abrham" - that's the bearded guy.

Watched this allllll the time growing up with my dad. I will send him the youtube links thanks!

Dad made some stuff from him and the woodright shop. My dad never had a big, or fuly equiped shop - so some of the NewYankee stuff can be difficult has he has, lets say, all the "Traditional" toys. I know there are some places that have the new new tech toys and use that... but NYW + Woodright shop my dad kind blended them to be able to do things with the tools he had.

Sadly, he is old now and still does lathe work, turning pens, bowels etc. but his furniture days are gone and I am too darn busy and my garage is a mess...

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Saw a 24" Rockwell planer for sale at an auction yesterday. Came out of a high school wood shop and it needs a new blade but the bid was only $75 on it. I thought that would be pretty cool until I noticed it was 3 phase. Looks like whether you go rotary phase converter or VFD you're looking at $1500-$2000 for a power supply that can run a 7.5HP motor. It would be a hell of a cool tool but I can't really justify that even if the planer was free.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but at least you’d be set up to run the 3-phase table saw, sander, jointer, and everything else you have to buy to justify the electrical upgrade!

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah but at least you’d be set up to run the 3-phase table saw, sander, jointer, and everything else you have to buy to justify the electrical upgrade!
God if I ever win the lottery the shop I would build would be so ridiculous. I don't even care about getting a better house but I could blow a few million on a shop easy.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
God if I ever win the lottery the shop I would build would be so ridiculous. I don't even care about getting a better house but I could blow a few million on a shop easy.
Me too. I really just want a 200sq ft shack that's filled halfway with coke. All I need in the other half is a recliner and a pile of Brie Larson's used panties.

Godamn. Made myself gag typing that

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Me too. I really just want a 200sq ft shack that's filled halfway with coke. All I need in the other half is a recliner and a pile of Brie Larson's used panties.

Godamn. Made myself gag typing that
This is the woodworking thread, sir. Not the “wood working” thread.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Cutlery Cutlery this popped up today and made me think of you and your mill. I think your trees were bigger though.

View attachment 493993

Yep, that was one option.

It was not a good option when your logs are 500+lbs though. It was literally everything 3- 6' tall dudes could do to get mine up the hill, around the house, and up 6 inches onto the platform of my mill.

I haven't had any time this summer to finish surfacing my stuff. Inflation is kicking my ass. I had planned on working 4 days a week all summer and spend Fridays routing that stuff out, but i kept falling further and further behind on my pile of savings, so I have no choice now, need the OT. Then I decided getting the log up the hill was too much and I was getting too fucking candyass, so now I started lifting 6 days a week, on top of working 50 hours.

On the bright side, Im 90% sure I tore my meniscus on Monday, so I'm sure I'll get a healthy chunk of recovery time after that surgery to putz around with it, in addition to being forced to skip leg day now.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yep, that was one option.

It was not a good option when your logs are 500+lbs though. It was literally everything 3- 6' tall dudes could do to get mine up the hill, around the house, and up 6 inches onto the platform of my mill.

I haven't had any time this summer to finish surfacing my stuff. Inflation is kicking my ass. I had planned on working 4 days a week all summer and spend Fridays routing that stuff out, but i kept falling further and further behind on my pile of savings, so I have no choice now, need the OT. Then I decided getting the log up the hill was too much and I was getting too fucking candyass, so now I started lifting 6 days a week, on top of working 50 hours.

On the bright side, Im 90% sure I tore my meniscus on Monday, so I'm sure I'll get a healthy chunk of recovery time after that surgery to putz around with it, in addition to being forced to skip leg day now.
I feel you. After finally recovering from my spine fusion problems started showing up in my left and right shoulder, left MRI shows multiple tears in the bicep and supraspinatus, with severe tendinosis. So am probably going to be out for another month+ with left shoulder surgery and they don’t even want to look at the right. All we can figure is that the spine pain was so bad it masked this other stuff.