Woodworking

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I've had two meniscus repairs and four menisectomies. Happy to answer any questions if you have them.

I tore the left one in 2017, so I'm pretty well aware of how it goes. This one feels like the right, but then the left one started hurting too, so not sure if I tore both, or if my left just hurts for me compensating for the right.

The only good news is that I'm not doing heavy labor at work anymore, so I shouldn't be out for 8 weeks like I was last time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
2x4 end table.jpg

this looks like something i can whip up in a day, and take apart w/ kreg, i need something to put the halloween bowl on top of for the kids

Burns

Gentlemen:

That looks neat for chisels, but for knives the discs set up on a dedicated bench grinder are still probably better and just as fast, once you learn how to use them. At least it's the set up I have seen the most in knife stores & gun show that offer sharping services.

2023-10-12 18.41.11 www.knifecenter.com c5e51d322e60.png

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Whelp, I got a commission on a map table that I'm going to have to send to the other side of the country. Now I've gotta figure out how to do something, within my skill level, to let's me ship the table with the legs off. It seems like the 45degree brackets that attach to the apron slot + one long bolt into the leg is the norm. At least in stuff ive bought and assembled. I don't really want to attempt that yet.

Long story short, the legs are 3in X 3in square. I'm guessing there's some sort of bracket/flange that I can just bolt to the top of the leg, then bolt flush with the bottom of the table? I've seen them for 2x4s, but I assume this is a common furniture bracket too.

I can visualize this damn thing, but don't know how to describe it. A plate that fits between two pieces. Outter flange screws to one piece second, after the inner screws are put into the other piece.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Whelp, I got a commission on a map table that I'm going to have to send to the other side of the country. Now I've gotta figure out how to do something, within my skill level, to let's me ship the table with the legs off. It seems like the 45degree brackets that attach to the apron slot + one long bolt into the leg is the norm. At least in stuff ive bought and assembled. I don't really want to attempt that yet.

Long story short, the legs are 3in X 3in square. I'm guessing there's some sort of bracket/flange that I can just bolt to the top of the leg, then bolt flush with the bottom of the table? I've seen them for 2x4s, but I assume this is a common furniture bracket too.

I can visualize this damn thing, but don't know how to describe it. A plate that fits between two pieces. Outter flange screws to one piece second, after the inner screws are put into the other piece.
You mean like a figure 8 that you would attach a top to an apron?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm guessing there's some sort of bracket/flange that I can just bolt to the top of the leg, then bolt flush with the bottom of the table? I've seen them for 2x4s, but I assume this is a common furniture bracket too.

This?

Amazon product ASIN B07G38HYQH
Despite there being a picture of leg mounting, my gut says this type of fastener wouldn't be robust enough enough applied this way. Does your table have aprons? I'd just use a more traditional diagonal bracket along the lines of this:

1697164894122.jpeg

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Gotta be honest I'm not quite sure why you would think a kerf mount bracket would be bad. In my mind it's the simplest since you can index once cut 8 times. They also make a surface mount version if you need to assemble the apron first for some reason.

Having tried several other leg attachment schemes, the reality is if you want free legs without bracing a corner bracket provides 3 points of contact which tightens itself square if you do it right. I've tried attaching to apron, mounting directly to top structure with 4x4 bracket, etc. They just never quite turn out as stable and always flex.

Just my 2c trying random things on bench and table projects. There's a reason almost every dining table uses them.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Gotta be honest I'm not quite sure why you would think a kerf mount bracket would be bad. In my mind it's the simplest since you can index once cut 8 times. They also make a surface mount version if you need to assemble the apron first for some reason.

Having tried several other leg attachment schemes, the reality is if you want free legs without bracing a corner bracket provides 3 points of contact which tightens itself square if you do it right. I've tried attaching to apron, mounting directly to top structure with 4x4 bracket, etc. They just never quite turn out as stable and always flex.

Just my 2c trying random things on bench and table projects. There's a reason almost every dining table uses them.
Alright alright alright, maybe I'll give it a go.

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

Like this, correct?

Screenshot_20231014-111133.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just poured the resin on this one. Once it dries, I'll work on the bronze text inlay. This is for the VP of one of the biggest mapping companies in the world, so I'm a little anxious.
I set up a custom elevation shader in Global Mapper to try to simulate how the terrain will look in the plywood. I'm colorblind as fuck, but it seems to have matched pretty closely with the results, yea?

My GF is a designer that I worked with for ~4 years. She helped out a bit on this one, but got a little frustrated. Since this guy has spent 30 years making maps for engineering, he's less concerned with the aesthetics. He really wanted the county line on there, as well as the spot shots and bar scale. She absolutely hates the elevation spot shots and isn't a fan of the bar scale either.
IMG_20231021_090408.jpg
PXL_20231021_155754199.MP.jpg
PXL_20231020_201527279.jpg
PXL_20231020_201435316.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Learned a few things I hadn't thought of, particularly that despite modern glues being stronger than the wood itself glue joints will make a board weaker than if it were solid exactly because the stiffness of the joint creates stress risers that cause the adjacent wood to fail. Also, clamping force is entirely overrated compared to curing time. Interesting stuff. (Some of the later experiments where the glue wasn't cured were dumb.)

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

What kind of clamp/jig/vice do I need to drill those holes for the bolts on the legs?

I have a really, really shitty old drill press and I think I'm ready to upgrade at set myself up with a better drill setup. Since I'll also want to be able to drill holes on the end of table legs, I assume I want something that's bench-mounted with a "deck" (or whatever) that swivels out of the way? And put one of those machinists vice things on it, including rotating for 45d holes? whoo whoo

In other news, I got back to work on the rolling lumber cart I started over the summer. Table saw is about the only thing I'm skittish around and I haven't even used the thing since I bought it almost 2 years ago, so I spent a long time with it yesterday. Definitely helped me make everything come together cleaner and tighter on the lumber cart and I got a lot more comfy using it.

Learning more and more, Bit by bit. I was thinking yesterday about how I use ~15 different pieces of software at work and I'd say that I'm a "master" of three of them. Knowing those pieces of software inside and out, and knowing how to use every tool in them for their intended purpose AND outside the box applications makes it so that I can quickly come up with ways to solve a problem in a few different ways. And it's easy for me because I know how to use the tools fully, but I help other people in the same software that are struggling with simple tasks.

Anyways, it was just a thought I had yesterday while working in the shop and realizing that figuring out different woodworking stuff is starting to get a little easier as I'm learning and practicing with all the different tools. I'm a long ways from being able to do all the stuff I want to do, but it was encouraging.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What kind of clamp/jig/vice do I need to drill those holes for the bolts on the legs?

I have a really, really shitty old drill press and I think I'm ready to upgrade at set myself up with a better drill setup. Since I'll also want to be able to drill holes on the end of table legs, I assume I want something that's bench-mounted with a "deck" (or whatever) that swivels out of the way? And put one of those machinists vice things on it, including rotating for 45d holes? whoo whoo

In other news, I got back to work on the rolling lumber cart I started over the summer. Table saw is about the only thing I'm skittish around and I haven't even used the thing since I bought it almost 2 years ago, so I spent a long time with it yesterday. Definitely helped me make everything come together cleaner and tighter on the lumber cart and I got a lot more comfy using it.

Learning more and more, Bit by bit. I was thinking yesterday about how I use ~15 different pieces of software at work and I'd say that I'm a "master" of three of them. Knowing those pieces of software inside and out, and knowing how to use every tool in them for their intended purpose AND outside the box applications makes it so that I can quickly come up with ways to solve a problem in a few different ways. And it's easy for me because I know how to use the tools fully, but I help other people in the same software that are struggling with simple tasks.

Anyways, it was just a thought I had yesterday while working in the shop and realizing that figuring out different woodworking stuff is starting to get a little easier as I'm learning and practicing with all the different tools. I'm a long ways from being able to do all the stuff I want to do, but it was encouraging.

Depends how big your legs are I suppose and your working spqce. I probably would build a simple 45 jig/sled to hold the leg. That way you can trim back the corner the required amount (chamfer the edge back where the hardware is put in) on say a band saw or even with a table saw. Then you can flip 90 and use it in a drill press or just a cordless drill.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>

Palum is correct regarding the jig. You can come up with a number of ways to hold a square piece on the bias and drill into the corner. There are a number of videos on youtube about that *and* using those types of leg mounts specifically, but if you have more detailed questions let me know.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks. Just spent a few hours watching random woodworking videos, including those corner mounts. Seems simple enough.

I like this setup too

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Thanks. Just spent a few hours watching randoem woodworking videos, including those corner mounts. Seems simple enough.

I like this setup too

Yes, it's nice having a drill press with a flat table and a fence that's square to the quill. But... You really don't *need* one unless you're doing production volume, lots of tilt/angle drilling, or need repeatable high precision. For anything else its just convenient. The good thing is you can get into a cheap one that drills at least as straight as you can by hand for cheap at Hazard Fraught if you just gotta have one.

• 1Truth!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Learned a few things I hadn't thought of, particularly that despite modern glues being stronger than the wood itself glue joints will make a board weaker than if it were solid exactly because the stiffness of the joint creates stress risers that cause the adjacent wood to fail. Also, clamping force is entirely overrated compared to curing time. Interesting stuff. (Some of the later experiments where the glue wasn't cured were dumb.)

Yeah, that was a good video. I saw it linked off this one originally:

• 1Like