World of Warcraft: Classic

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Does Vanilla mean pre-TBC? I'd be more inclined to play if TBC was included. If not, I'll probably still check it out for a month or so, pretty sure it took me a couple months to hit 60 on my warrior. I thoroughly enjoyed the game then, but it was so new and felt so much better than anything before it, but playing it now...o_O
Vanilla is no expansions

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My guess is they roll out 1.12 but then timegate raids. So things like Maraudon and shit would be there at the start but you could only do BWL after so much time had passed. Then AQ 20/40. Etc.

Another question is pvp or pve. I started right before TBC and, even on a pve server, all you heard about was hillsbrad/south shore.

The more we talk the more excited i get to try this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They're changing servers so there isn't PvP or pve servers. Not sure if that change is going to classic too but if it's a server architecture change it probably will

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Then, weren’t BGs and instances their own servers...maybe even now. Wouldn’t they need a special vanilla BG server too?

I’d say achieves and sharding are two things they should keep. The rest of the UI i’d roll back to the original. Maybe a looking for guild tool.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
One of the very first few MC raids we did, when we zoned in, horde and alliance were in the same Raid ID. We had to pvp the horde and res/run back faster to take up the slots which took nearly an hour because there was a pvp battle going on outside the BRD instance line as well as inside the raid due to instance server transfer failures so people would just keep popping out back outside BRD entrance. We eventually sent a clandestine stealth team of druids and rogues past the multiple horde raids trying to camp the BRM graveyard/entrance (which if I recall was all the way back to Thorium point at the time...) who eventually made it in and we won the war after finally getting a majority of the cap slots. The biggest close call was we only had 36 or so in and we started pulling giants figuring we were safe and a couple of horde rogues who must have stealthed into a corner popped out and obliterated a tank and tried to wipe us but I managed to stance dance and pull out my DRACONIAN MOTHER FUCKING DEFLECTOR and pick up the giant.

The best parts of classic were shit that was never 'supposed' to happen.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'd be shocked if this is just one server, since they aren't going to use sharding (their claim), you almost have to have multiple servers of this "type" because you're going to have >100,000 people concurrently playing.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I'd be shocked if this is just one server, since they aren't going to use sharding (their claim), you almost have to have multiple servers of this "type" because you're going to have >100,000 people concurrently playing.
I feel like you are under selling this by a factor of ten. the classic servers will draw millions. 5 mil would not shock me.

I remember the original onyixia keys too, when it was like one key per ubrd clear and we were running it over and over for ten hours per day. or when you could raid group instances and stilt scholo and strata were so hard you had 15 man raids doing them, dropping group before a quest mob died so you could cheese the code that made quest not completable in raids.

Last edited:
  • 1Barf

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
They're changing servers so there isn't PvP or pve servers. Not sure if that change is going to classic too but if it's a server architecture change it probably will

Haha that's fantastic. I have some very stupid friends that are fond of pvp, but usually all it is is one undead rogue twice our level murdering everyone repeatedly. This time I'll just be able to watch and laugh.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, they said in an interview that it was basically like one guy seeing if it was even possible for them to do lol

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sounds like a bad idea. Different people like different patch cycles during Vanilla; it isn't like there was one unified sort of vision up until that point. Weapon normalization due to Arcanite Reapers, or the major changes to the Warrior trees during AQ days because the default MS/Fury/Protect 31/5/15 cookie-cutter build had sufficiently proven that Protection was bunk. All the PVP-centric changes that popped up and made all of us PVE'ers hate the shit out of PVP being part of the same balance passes. Or access to stacking raids with Rogues in order to beat Raggy the first time around until you had 1-2 with Perds... fun times! Because the difference between a Perdition's Blade rogue and literally anything else was hilariously massive.

Just not sure they are going to find that sweet spot where everyone loved everything. For some reason, there's still a large portion of the populace who miss the Decursive days. This is just going to split the playerbase up even more, especially when they realize how fucked lots of the Vanilla stuff was with obvious favoritism towards one faction or another. If it isn't Ony being a joke with Dwarves to Viscidus being a joke with Shamans; there's some hilarious imbalances that only people who benefited from are going to want back during the Vanilla days.

Too much obviously broken shit or stuff that was hilariously slanted towards one faction or another during the early days. Basically too much interpretation of what was the "best" during Vanilla, while the EQ players could basically go "Hey everything up until Luclin was great!" you can't really say the same for WoW.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out when it releases as the same time Pantheon comes out... in 2036, when dogs rule the Earth.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Dungeons are going to be a real wake-up call for many who never played Vanilla, or even BC. LFG and 15 minute dungeons have spoiled us rotten. Who doesn't remember shit like this trying to get into SM in the mid levels:

Spend 30+ mins in Ironforge looking for a group. Finally find a decent tank, a healer in PVP gear, an arms warrior in greens, a hunter without a pet.
Spend 30+ mins literally running, since someone was either >40 or couldn't afford a mount, add in time spent running back to your corpse after a lvl 60 horde rolfstomped you a few times.
Finally get to the entrance only to have the tank tell you his mommy told him it's bed time and he has to leave.
Spend 15 minutes spamming local in the vain hope of a tank.
Warrior decides to try tanking, in arms, with a 2hander.
Decide to try to get back to IF after wiping 5 times on the first trash mob.
Get lucky and find another tank in only 15 minutes in IF.
Head back, spend 2 hours doing the dungeon, wiping at every other trash mob.
Finally down last boss on fifth attempt, everyone's gear is red, hearth back, log off and cry yourself to sleep in the fetal position.

Good times! :D

Although, to be honest, if you had a good group, were on Vent or TS, then donig instances was fucking amazing. I remember 2+ hour Maurodon runs that went by like they were 5 minutes.

• 2Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Look, I'm very well aware that we are in 2017 now. I'm not trying to relive old vanilla experience with a 90%+ score. It won't happen, it didn't happen on any of the emulators I've tried in the past.
original vanilla = bunch of newbs
emulators/upcoming classic = bunch of WoW veterans who are going to minmax the shit out of it

Cat is out of the bag, people already have their BIS crap preplanned and will beeline for that. And that consequently means shittier group experience for some of us. For example, want to join a group? Pick your poison:
- no reponse at all
- already have <class> or don't need <class> (uses same loot)
- <item> reserved
- do you need <item>? if yes, restart from the top of the list
- unannounced switching to master looter "to protect loot"
=> repeat until bored or start your own group and have fun competing with others in a LF tank/healer game
Bonus points if you are a tank trying to get some mail pieces from Armory/Cathedral. They are all going to shamans who will then sit on them for the next 4-5 levels because they can't use them yet. But don't worry, as an extra bonus you will also be doing Library for no-loot, because healers want caster crap.

But that's OK, I have no problem going into that again.

• 3Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Look, I'm very well aware that we are in 2017 now. I'm not trying to relive old vanilla experience with a 90%+ score. It won't happen, it didn't happen on any of the emulators I've tried in the past.
original vanilla = bunch of newbs
emulators/upcoming classic = bunch of WoW veterans who are going to minmax the shit out of it

Cat is out of the bag, people already have their BIS crap preplanned and will beeline for that. And that consequently means shittier group experience for some of us. For example, want to join a group? Pick your poison:
- no reponse at all
- already have <class> or don't need <class> (uses same loot)
- <item> reserved
- do you need <item>? if yes, restart from the top of the list
- unannounced switching to master looter "to protect loot"
=> repeat until bored or start your own group and have fun competing with others in a LF tank/healer game
Bonus points if you are a tank trying to get some mail pieces from Armory/Cathedral. They are all going to shamans who will then sit on them for the next 4-5 levels because they can't use them yet. But don't worry, as an extra bonus you will also be doing Library for no-loot, because healers want caster crap.

But that's OK, I have no problem going into that again.

Great points.

Hope the dev team spends a lot of time on solutions.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Are you saying Hillary wins or Chelsea?

Now that the cat's out of the bag and confirmed she was actually passing out on the campaign trail, chances are Hillary will be dead and gone by 2036, haha.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
My guess is they roll out 1.12 but then timegate raids. So things like Maraudon and shit would be there at the start but you could only do BWL after so much time had passed. Then AQ 20/40. Etc.

Another question is pvp or pve. I started right before TBC and, even on a pve server, all you heard about was hillsbrad/south shore.

The more we talk the more excited i get to try this.
Don't forget Naxx 40 with Frozen Runes, the frost resistance gear, eight-tanking Horsemen and shelling out for attunement! (Unless you were Exalted with Argent Dawn.)

• 1Barf

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I keep seeing people bringing up Naxx attunement but any guild worth raiding in there had all their members exalted to AD.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I just remember very aggressive aggro distances in old dungeons leveling up. If you were a healer, guaranteed you were like 2-4 levels under par for the instance, but your heals were fine -- and your aggro range was insane. Had a Scarlet Monastery run where the priest pulled from an adjacent wall and it trained two entire hallways on us. Similar shit happened in Gnomeregan, where the downward spiral could aggro-train everything on the ground below.