World of Warcraft: Classic

xzi

Mouthbreather
I don't even remember a naxx attunement so I don't think it was a big deal

Was only a big deal because it was so expensive to get 40 people attuned. I'm willing to bet that's half the reason only like 1% of players even got to enter naxx

xzi

Mouthbreather
yeah, and realistically for most guilds like 15 people out of 60 were exalted and the rest were fucking slackers just like in raids. Worked for us though we got all the server transfers lol

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
If they don't have some form of Achievements in the actual Classic version (for the sake of purity or something), then I do think they should track behind the scenes what your toon does on Classic so it can unlock account wide achievements on your regular toons. There are tons of old school stuff you could tie to this, such as doing all the old atunemement shit, as well as "fun" stuff such as doing a real "Jenkins" (i.e. a similar raid wipe), for taking part in a 24+ hour AV, and shit like that.

And if they do add achievements into actual Classic, they had better have some form of Lorewalker and stuff like that. In fact, Achievements could be a good way to get people to get to know the old content better, if used as a form of "breadcrumbs" or reward incentive.

All this talk of Classic is bringing back some fond (and other not so fond) memories of levelling up in Vanilla on a PVP server back in the day... like grinding out 5+ levels on that Alliance Island Feathermoon Stronghold since you never saw Horde there. Wasn't too bad since I had leatherworking and skinning, and it was mostly wolves. :D

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, I would actually prefer/love if those servers had at least acc wide achievements or more importantly, transmog unlocks. I 100% don't think they're going to do it, but it would be cool to get those items that aren't in the game anymore.

Like these cloth plate shoulders Stoneform Shoulders

I want it to stay true to the vanilla experience in terms of gameplay, difficulty, etc etc but those two systems wouldn't effect anything at all. I'd even be all for it if they had mogs available but you don't have the option to mog your vanilla characters.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
All sorts of rewards and shit you can use on your "regular" characters is what I see keeping people playing Classic after the initial "novelty" fades.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I'd even be all for it if they had mogs available but you don't have the option to mog your vanilla characters.

I actually really like this idea, especially if they eventually go forward with a progression type system. It'd be awesome to be able to do the old content as it was designed and have the xmogs carry over instead of doing boring xmog runs of outlevelled raids. The only problem is that it could potentially cause some douchebaggery, depending on how vanilla the loot system is - "rolled need for xmog" will be the new hunters.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Well, people needing loot they don't need would be part of the classic experience lmao it'll be like nothing changed!

I'm hoping they do something like it though, I think it's kind of dumb they keep taking stuff out of the game (although I'm fine with scarab lord being so rare) and now with timewalking and certain events being able to reobtain them has been great. But that alone would honestly keep me playing. I don't see myself raiding as hard as I did but I've always loved dungeons from day one. Original scholo lets go!

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't remember AD rep being bad. Run dungeons, kill stuff while looking for herbs and black lotus, collect stones and turn them in. I was exalted long before Naxx came out...

I'd want a true vanilla server, no progression other than rolling out raids gradually up to Naxx. True horde (no belfs, no paladins), 40man raids, consumable and resist gear farming.
If people want TBC, make separate servers for that. Can even start with vanilla and then progress to TBC and beyond, don't really care. I'd probably even try that for a while, raids were good in TBC.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
There's just something quaint about people wanting to relive the old days -forever-. Those days are gone, Al Bundy. It's fine to step back into nostalgia for a while, but MMOs that never change go the way of the dodo for a reason. If you had a "true vanilla" server that remained that way forever, it would house a tiny niche population and everyone else would leave. I can't see why Blizzard would care about pandering to that. They're much more likely to go the progression route.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I am torn on this, I would love to play - however I know my enjoyment will be based on being a pvp rape machine and I’m not sure I can put the time in.

• 2Like

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
There's just something quaint about people wanting to relive the old days -forever-. Those days are gone, Al Bundy. It's fine to step back into nostalgia for a while, but MMOs that never change go the way of the dodo for a reason. If you had a "true vanilla" server that remained that way forever, it would house a tiny niche population and everyone else would leave. I can't see why Blizzard would care about pandering to that. They're much more likely to go the progression route.
Nostalrius launched as a Vanilla-only server I believe, and said that progressing to TBC was a possibility after a few years but no gauarantee. And they had several hundred thousand unique players as an emu server. What makes you think official servers will attract fewer people than that? I'd expect more players, not less.

• 1Solidarity

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Nostalrius launched as a Vanilla-only server I believe, and said that progressing to TBC was a possibility after a few years but no gauarantee. And they had several hundred thousand unique players as an emu server. What makes you think official servers will attract fewer people than that? I'd expect more players, not less.
Official servers will be strict and won't allow the kind of bullshit that emu servers are generally plagued with. You also have to pay to play. Nostalrius (and Elysium, and and and) was free. Yeah, people will try this out, but I don't think it'll attract the kind of population that you're thinking it will, at least not in the long term.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm gonna make a guild and play ret paladin only and nobody can stop me basically doing negative dps and taking warrior and mage loot

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Rime

<Donor>
I really think people are overselling the amount of individuals who will be willing to pay $15 a month (plus, probably a box cost, no? Maybe not.) for a Classic/Vanilla server. Do not get me wrong, I hope it works out and they have lots of fun - but it is not my bag.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I really think people are overselling the amount of individuals who will be willing to pay $15 a month (plus, probably a box cost, no? Maybe not.) for a Classic/Vanilla server. Do not get me wrong, I hope it works out and they have lots of fun - but it is not my bag.
I think this will be the big drawback. If they require the current expansion - and hey, they might - it'll be even worse.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Meh, think you'll all be suprised how many people will want to play that stuff. People enjoy the race of fresh content even (especially) if it's old nostalgia stuff. I realize EQ prog servers aren't necessarily a perfect comparison but just look at the popularity that they have in relation to the current live game.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Heard you boys like frost bolts

Last edited:
  • 1Barf

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll give this a go. Mainly because I missed out on Vanilla when it came out, was still heavily invested in EQ at that time.

Doubt I'll last long though. They waited a bit too long to bring this out. I just don't have the patience anymore for crappy old graphics tied to boring old style grinds.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Rather grind mobs than some weird unimmersive quest about murlocs

• 1Solidarity