World of Warcraft: Classic

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Do healers still downrank? I always remember as Druid healer it was Ht rank 4 spam unless we were doing a swift mend big heal.

Yes and no. If I'm trying to heal efficiently, I'm using Heal rank 3. That will change to Greater Heal Rank 1 when I get 8/8 Tier 2. This is my usual heal I cancel-cast when I'm pre-healing a tank or someone I know is going to take damage, like fireball targets in phase 2 Onyxia. I can keep this up forever.

I still use 2nd max rank flash heal and max rank shields in raid damage emergencies (because the co-efficients are garbage) and max rank Greater Heal when I use Inner Focus or when the target is guaranteed to get full value out of it. I also use max rank renew on tanks, but not on the raid.

Basically, like for most things in healing, there is no "Always best answer" - you stay flexible and do as the situation demands.

Also that above downranking guide is garbage. It only tells you the most "efficient" version of the spell to cast. Sometimes I don't care about efficiency. I certainly don't care about flash healing people for 500 healing.

Last edited:

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
It's not garbage at all, knowing what the most efficient version of a spell is useful information, it's not a guide to only use that rank of a spell.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thanks guys! Was having a conversation with a Rogue friend and was telling him how back in the day, as an Alliance Druid, we just did spam raid healing for the most part, so I just spammed Healing Touch Rank 4, and he was arguing that it wasn't just one rank. I argued back that it in a single fight I wasn't doing HT R3, then HT R5, etc. I wasn't switching around. It was straight HTR4 , or max rank HT if I needed to insta-cast Swiftmend a big heal.

In the end, healing is extremely adaptable and you gotta switch it up for whatever situation you're in.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Thanks guys! Was having a conversation with a Rogue friend and was telling him how back in the day, as an Alliance Druid, we just did spam raid healing for the most part, so I just spammed Healing Touch Rank 4, and he was arguing that it wasn't just one rank. I argued back that it in a single fight I wasn't doing HT R3, then HT R5, etc. I wasn't switching around. It was straight HTR4 , or max rank HT if I needed to insta-cast Swiftmend a big heal.

In the end, healing is extremely adaptable and you gotta switch it up for whatever situation you're in.

Some healers bind up to 4 different ranks of the heals they use, and it's perfectly fine to do so. Some just use 2 (that's what I always did), some just pick one and stick with that. In the end, it doesn't matter provided you aren't going OOM and you aren't letting people die as a result of your rank choice.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
How far "back in the day" we talking here? Because Spirit of Aquamentis was a thing that made rank 1/2 versions of spells pretty much mana free and the difference in healing between ranks was worth maybe 2 items of +healing power so there was no reason to use anything higher than the lowest, and also essentially free, healing spells.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I use engy and herb on my rogue so I can camp a lotus spawn but mining works too if you stealth around like silithus for rtv’s.

Crone

How far "back in the day" we talking here? Because Spirit of Aquamentis was a thing that made rank 1/2 versions of spells pretty much mana free and the difference in healing between ranks was worth maybe 2 items of +healing power so there was no reason to use anything higher than the lowest, and also essentially free, healing spells.
All the way back to Vanilla.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Hey what is the best tradeskills again for a rogue. I remember doing mining and goblin Eng. I will be doing pvp quite a bit.

The only worthwhile tradeskills in the game at this point are mining/herb if you want money unless you can get all the rare enchanting patterns and GL with that.

Engineering is 100% a must for PVP and moderately useful in PVE if enough people stack it and coordinate. Make sure you roll gnomish first and learn everything before swapping to gobbo though.

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
All the way back to Vanilla.
Right but the flat -mana cost on Spirit of Aquementas was nerfed fairly early on in Vanilla and that's what he was referencing.

Honestly with how fast the fights have been so far in MC/BWL due to the dps people are putting out, downranking is not as great as it used to be. I'd rather have a crew full of healers willing to use a pot+rune on most boss kills and not care about their overhealing than have people playing super efficiently and potentially not responding do a damage spike appropriately.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

The reason you used rank 4 is that it was half a second faster than rank 5. Once your +healing got to a certain level you just spammed it non-stop to have a constant stream of healing, with max rank Rejuv/Regrowth, and max rank Healing Touch reserved exclusively for use with Nature's Swiftness. Swiftmend sucked for PVE, especially after you get full Tier 2 with the extra Rejuv tick because it consumes the remaining ticks on you Rejuv. Also, Vanilla was all about managing the damage. If the damage is spiking someone's doing something wrong. Give this spec a shot. Natural Weapons and Omen of Clarity are amazing for pvp/hybrid, but those points can go anywhere in Balance, it's Nature's Swiftness and Moonglow that are most important.

Counter arguments to this build are "heals don't crit that often" and "no Swiftmend". Well, it heals more, and fuck Swiftmend.

• 1Like

Crone

The reason you used rank 4 is that it was half a second faster than rank 5. Once your +healing got to a certain level you just spammed it non-stop to have a constant stream of healing, with max rank Rejuv/Regrowth, and max rank Healing Touch reserved exclusively for use with Nature's Swiftness. Swiftmend sucked for PVE, especially after you get full Tier 2 with the extra Rejuv tick because it consumes the remaining ticks on you Rejuv. Also, Vanilla was all about managing the damage. If the damage is spiking someone's doing something wrong. Give this spec a shot. Natural Weapons and Omen of Clarity are amazing for pvp/hybrid, but those points can go anywhere in Balance, it's Nature's Swiftness and Moonglow that are most important.

Counter arguments to this build are "heals don't crit that often" and "no Swiftmend". Well, it heals more, and fuck Swiftmend.
Max rank HT with Nature's Swiftness is what I meant to be saying this whole time. Not Swiftmend. Thanks for that clarification.

Crone

Regime Regime You have quite the following?

deb007e04602b9f1b699f700b16b10fb.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users