World of Warcraft: Current Year

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I am very glad they nerfed water striders. Forcing everyone to use a 6 year old mount was dumb.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
everytime I think about getting dazed now I just think about Argus and how there was a mob every 3ft

you haven't experienced true horror

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
everytime I think about getting dazed now I just think about Argus and how there was a mob every 3ft

you haven't experienced true horror

Or Surammar Nightborne city. Actually as bad as Argus was that island they did before that with mage tower was probably worse.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Or Surammar Nightborne city. Actually as bad as Argus was that island they did before that with mage tower was probably worse.

I considered the far left Island in Argus to be the worst offender out of the entire expansion. That place was just straight out aids. Not only was the terrain ridiculous, but the mobs were f'n everywhere. I hated my life in that zone... kinda brings back PTSD as I think of it...

Edit: Found the mount equipment section on wowhead, some nice stuff including a slowfall option although kinda situational since it requires to be mounted first, I'd rather have a potion or something. Also found Sea Mist potions, 1g for slowfall+waterwalking, a steal.

I was going to say that, but I got caught up with some customers. Goblin Gliders are a lot more useful than you would imagine as well, even to this day. But overall, you level so quick right now that there really isnt any leveling content that would demand the extensive amount of help you're interested in acquiring. The only zone with terrain that is just aids is Nazjatar or w/e. In Mechagon, the Anti-Gravity Pack that you can craft from spare parts is beyond amazingly good. As soon as you get the schematic for that, you'll do your dailies in that area in less than 10 minutes. I even use them over my mount if I'm going to stay in Mechagon for a while.

I have a bunch of people that love Nazjatar and hate Mechagon on my friends list. I dont get it, cause.. even though I liked Mechagon more - I dropped both like a hot rock as soon as I hit the faction I needed with them. If I'm in the area for w/e reason, Ill look up to see if they have the rares that drop mounts available - but thats it. Theres only one .. puzzle? Quest? w/e in Nazjatar that sparked my interest on the very last day I was there. I was finishing a WQ and went in a cave and found.. a bottle? I think? Or a crystal? You click it, you see the achievement progress update, but thats it. All this time later, that damn thing is still in the back of my head.. making me want to go finish that achievement.

When I'm not leveling an alt, I am playing my Brewmaster Monk as well Pyros Pyros . Content right now is pretty easy with him. Just wish some stuff you kill didnt have a bajillion HP cause it takes forever to kill shit up till about 460. Current trends and numbers for the expansion are leaning towards DK and Paladin right now, though. If that stays the same, I'll probably go with Paladin just because of the heal/tank/dps ability like the Monk has. That character will probably be what I use my 120 boost on, tbh. The last Paladin I had was in freaking Cataclysm in Alliance. I just have no desire to play a class that Blizzard isnt concentrating on anymore. Else I would be playing my Priest right now for example.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh and pick up a Draught of Ten Lands when you go from 110-120, btw.
Is that actually useful? Seems kinda meh, only 10% xp, and cost 5 of those token shit I don't have many of and don't really want to farm more instead of playing my monk for now. Doesn't the current 100% xp boost work in BFA, doubt I'd really need another 10%, plus I'm kinda looking into doing all the island quests and all that shit anyway.

Oh btw curious, if you buy a wow token thing, does it activate instantly, or can you buy one and keep it for later to resub whenever you feel like?

Last edited:

xzi

Mouthbreather
You can keep a token for as long as you want, it's a physical item in your inventory. As long as you have one you can log on even if you don't have a sub and activate it for time.

Daidraco

Is that actually useful? Seems kinda meh, only 10% xp, and cost 5 of those token shit I don't have many of and don't really want to farm more instead of playing my monk for now. Doesn't the current 100% xp boost work in BFA, doubt I'd really need another 10%, plus I'm kinda looking into doing all the island quests and all that shit anyway.

Oh btw curious, if you buy a wow token thing, does it activate instantly, or can you buy one and keep it for later to resub whenever you feel like?

Definitely the time to buy a token. I expect the market is going to start ticking back upward soon in gold price - I've been back to lightly playing for a month or so now and I'm seeing more and more people log on that havent been on in months, if not longer.
Token Fluctuations.jpg

As for as Honorbound Service Medal's - Heroic Warfront's pay out at least 15, up to 50. If you get the weekly quest and run it, you'll be able to push objectives yourself as a tank. Afterwards, you'll get your honorbound medals and a piece of.. 445. I just assumed you had already did at least one Heroic to find out what they are "All about" basically. I get what you're saying about.. is 10% worth it with all this going on? Heirlooms and all that mess together, I cant imagine 110-120 lasts very long at all.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Interesting interview with Mike Morhaime. Also if you ever wanted why people like Ghostcrawler and Ion are so hated look at their bullshit as to why the blow dicks through a straw.

Interview - Mike Morhaime
VentureBeat had the opportunity to sit down with Mike Morhaime recently.

Gaming Companies

• More venture capital and media companies are starting to pay attention to gaming.
  • Now is a great time for indie game studios.

Mike's Investments

• Mike invested in Rally Cry, which is creating a more organized way to connect, play, and compete with each other.
  • Mike also invested in VENN, a video network targeting gaming, pop culture, and esports audiences.
  • Mike is passionate about gaming bringing people together. He saw the power of gaming very clearly at Blizzard, and looked forward to BlizzCon every year.

Working from Home and Coronavirus

• The tools to support working from home are quite good.
  • Persistent video and audio to simulate an office environment is a way to deal with working from home.
  • Gaming is one of the forms of entertainment that hasn't been hugely affected.
  • The gaming community knew the magic and power of gaming. People outside of the gaming community that no longer have access to some of their regular pastimes are discovering gaming now.

WoW and Social Gaming

• In the beginning, Mike thought WoW would reach a smaller audience and have to grow from there. Right away the curve was a lot steeper than he ever imagined.
  • His takeaway was that WoW was the most social of Blizzard's games at that point. You had groups of people experiencing the game together. Especially in the beginning, you needed to join a guild to experience some of the content.
  • The social experience, being able to share your entertainment with others, is important.
  • MMOs aren't as popular anymore due to accessibility and time investment. They could have a resurgence in the future.
  • Maybe there are other types of games that can capture the social experience even more.
  • As WoW evolved over the years, it became less social. In an effort to increase accessibility, the team removed some of the reasons why you needed to play with the same group over and over.
  • Making WoW less social takes away some of the reasons why some people play.
  • Blizzard can count on the community to let them know very directly and critically when they aren't doing things well.

Game Monetization

• It's nice to have a toolkit with more monetization options.
  • When you are choosing a monetization model, you have to think about whether that model serves the content and experience you want to create. It puts different types of pressures on designers, what content they'll create, how you measure success of the product.
  • You want to make sure that what the game needs to be great is consistent with what types of pressures you are going to be under with a certain business model.
  • You have a lot more options if you are starting a company right now, in terms of how you can get that funded. You used to have to go to a big publisher and get an advance on royalties. Now there are lots of companies interested in funding projects.
  • The gaming industry is full of dreamers that want to focus on creating great content and not necessarily interested in focusing on the business and logistical side of things.
Ghostcrawler's Tweets - WoW's Social Feature
Ghostcrawler provided a response to the interview with Mike Morhaime. (Yes, this section is back)
Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
I have been asked a bunch about Mike Morhaime's chat with Seth Schiesel. While WoW did a lot of things right, some of its greatest contributions were social....

People forget sometimes that when WoW became popular, things like instant messaging didn't really exist, let alone having social features in every game....

Early WoW players would see another player and be all "Is that another human? That's crazy." ...

People connected on WoW. It was the first experience for many gamers of making a friend online instead of IRL. There were these stories we received about kids who used WoW's mail system as email, of fathers who could only talk to their teenagers through the game....

It is going to be really hard for any MMO in the future to recreate the sheer novelty of social interactions that WoW produced. The world is different than it was then.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Ghostcrawler's Tweets - WoW's Social Feature
Ghostcrawler provided a response to the interview with Mike Morhaime. (Yes, this section is back)
Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
I have been asked a bunch about Mike Morhaime's chat with Seth Schiesel. While WoW did a lot of things right, some of its greatest contributions were social....

People forget sometimes that when WoW became popular, things like instant messaging didn't really exist, let alone having social features in every game....

Early WoW players would see another player and be all "Is that another human? That's crazy." ...

People connected on WoW. It was the first experience for many gamers of making a friend online instead of IRL. There were these stories we received about kids who used WoW's mail system as email, of fathers who could only talk to their teenagers through the game....

It is going to be really hard for any MMO in the future to recreate the sheer novelty of social interactions that WoW produced. The world is different than it was then.
AIM, IRC, and ICQ say "what?"

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Definitely the time to buy a token. I expect the market is going to start ticking back upward soon in gold price - I've been back to lightly playing for a month or so now and I'm seeing more and more people log on that havent been on in months, if not longer.

As for as Honorbound Service Medal's - Heroic Warfront's pay out at least 15, up to 50. If you get the weekly quest and run it, you'll be able to push objectives yourself as a tank. Afterwards, you'll get your honorbound medals and a piece of.. 445. I just assumed you had already did at least one Heroic to find out what they are "All about" basically. I get what you're saying about.. is 10% worth it with all this going on? Heirlooms and all that mess together, I cant imagine 110-120 lasts very long at all.
Well yeah I ran one warfront and got 15 and then I got like some from something else I forgot what, but it's once a week or do you get the medals every run? Anyway it's not even the heirlooms, that shit's too expensive for me to upgrade too much, it's just there's the 100% bonus xp event thing atm so there's already that baseline so not sure it's worth the time to run warfronts just to buy potions to get 10% more I think. Like I'm going to do 60-80 only having done a single wotlk zone at the speed I'm going, shit's pretty crazy fast.

And I was just curious about tokens, don't have nearly enough money.

ICQ was out during EQ's prime. WTF is he smoking.
His point would make more sense if it talked about EQ and comparing to UO where you couldn't private message people and shit like that, so you HAD to use ICQ(which was already out by then, and that was already a decent amount of time before EQ), but yeah already EQ had a bunch of social tools, same for FFXI, and that was well before wow. By the time wow released there were several messengers, several voice chat tools(roger wilco, teamspeak and ventrilo) and gaming boards were huge too(the VGboards and other places like that), and they had been for years.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
If tokens are at 100k might drop a couple million on them again. It's still cheaper to load up your battle.net balance $15 at a time with the tokens and buy 6 months game time than it is to just use the token for one month time extension. Sad part is if I buy 20 or so tokens I'll probably dip down under that 5 million mark and never buy the longboi mount. Then again if I don't play retail who really cares.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Lol, when WoW came out things like Napster had already come and gone, Direct Connect and Scour were the hotness, there were all kinds of Instant Messenging services, Am I Hot or Not and Myspace were things, Facebook was also a thing though in its infant stages, Friendster and Livejournal had been around for a while, etc etc.

Ghostcrawler is off his rocker.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Pretty sure working at Blizzard makes you retarded. Well extend that to working in California for anything tech related makes you retarded but working for Blizzard plants you so far up your own ass that you don't know how the world at large works anymore. It's the only way these retarded fucks can make these sorts of statements.

• 1Worf

Daidraco

If tokens are at 100k might drop a couple million on them again. It's still cheaper to load up your battle.net balance $15 at a time with the tokens and buy 6 months game time than it is to just use the token for one month time extension. Sad part is if I buy 20 or so tokens I'll probably dip down under that 5 million mark and never buy the longboi mount. Then again if I don't play retail who really cares.

Max is 36 per 24 month period, 10 per week, if I'm looking at the most updated information. I only know because I was interested in putting a chunk of money into them and then sell them for their gold value in Shadowlands. But 36 only allows a shit margin when compared against the $5 difference.

Long Boy is no longer available once Shadowlands prepatch drops - so might as well buy it now. I've been watching a lot of the alpha footage since my office is outright dead... I would definitely recommend coming back for at least the first month on the Shadowlands expansion. As predicted, Blizzard seems to be following their trend of one good expansion, bad expansion, good expansion with their A and B team or w/e other theory exists.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I want to come back and play a bit if the M+ meta is actually fun again. Raid schedules are too much time, and BFA just fucking shat on any fun M+ had.