World of Warcraft: Current Year

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Havn't raided hard since lich king, played casual w/ wife in legion, quit when they banned her main Cremepie.

Anywho, back and with the dizzying big new talent tree's and lot of other new content, were playing with just leveling a couple chars from scratch to relearn wtf is what and just dink around. Once we finish BFA and are 60, if we like things well enough might preorder Within to get dragonflight with it and putz through that.

For not playing to do anything serious, any advice for main professions. I remember stuff like smithing back in BC etc being kinda ass because it was a huge investment chasing just a few BIS items that also changed or went out of vogue.
Is there anything worth considering vs just double gather or stuff like alchemy/engineering trying to just find some casual utility.

I thought archaelogy is pretty neglected as a side skill, but I assume inscription/jewel etc still play a role? Though if it's like I rememeber I would think you'd need to be hard in the paint for those to be worth any effort/real profit.
AFAIK, the new leveling system combined with the new crafting system make it so it doesn't matter what you start with because you will be starting at effectively 0 in any tradeskill when you reach new content. Every xpac is it's own independent tradeskill leveling system within the overarching tradeskill, so, say you switch to blacksmithing at 60, you can jump right into Dragon Isle and start making shit.

Double gathering will net you XP and maybe some cash (XP is the useful thing, not that it's worth the time to stop and gather it, usually). Check the AH to see how far farmers have driven down the prices, since no one needs the old mats to level trades anymore, unless they are wanting to make old shit for xmog.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Havn't raided hard since lich king, played casual w/ wife in legion, quit when they banned her main Cremepie.

Anywho, back and with the dizzying big new talent tree's and lot of other new content, were playing with just leveling a couple chars from scratch to relearn wtf is what and just dink around. Once we finish BFA and are 60, if we like things well enough might preorder Within to get dragonflight with it and putz through that.

For not playing to do anything serious, any advice for main professions. I remember stuff like smithing back in BC etc being kinda ass because it was a huge investment chasing just a few BIS items that also changed or went out of vogue.
Is there anything worth considering vs just double gather or stuff like alchemy/engineering trying to just find some casual utility.

I thought archaelogy is pretty neglected as a side skill, but I assume inscription/jewel etc still play a role? Though if it's like I rememeber I would think you'd need to be hard in the paint for those to be worth any effort/real profit.
TS are all equally useful. Or useless. If you are wanting to make your own shit then just decide which slots you want to be able to make and run with it from there. My most played toon has always been hunter, so lw/skinning is a no brainer. Once you get to DF you will open up specs, which is a fun little side project if you enjoy maxxing out your tradeskills. I just got a 6th toon to 70 so that I can make everything more or less. Another new thing in DF is crafting orders. If you have the mats you can put up an order to get someone to combine your soulbound thing for you. You can also get various things to specify what stats you want on it, and respec it down the line.

Last week was timewalking. My bur got the BIS fyrakk weapon from that chest. So you still don't need to raid unless you really want to. If you LFR 1/4/8 heroics or mythics you will get a choice between 1/2/3 things out of the vault every week. Between that and the loot flowing like candy in ED, the game is extremely casual friendly. Do your weeklies. Just that. Crafting weeklies. Rep weeklies. Loot weeklies. It all snowballs. And those shiny ED toys can be converted into set pieces every other week for free.

Sludig

TS are all equally useful. Or useless. If you are wanting to make your own shit then just decide which slots you want to be able to make and run with it from there. My most played toon has always been hunter, so lw/skinning is a no brainer. Once you get to DF you will open up specs, which is a fun little side project if you enjoy maxxing out your tradeskills. I just got a 6th toon to 70 so that I can make everything more or less. Another new thing in DF is crafting orders. If you have the mats you can put up an order to get someone to combine your soulbound thing for you. You can also get various things to specify what stats you want on it, and respec it down the line.

Last week was timewalking. My bur got the BIS fyrakk weapon from that chest. So you still don't need to raid unless you really want to. If you LFR 1/4/8 heroics or mythics you will get a choice between 1/2/3 things out of the vault every week. Between that and the loot flowing like candy in ED, the game is extremely casual friendly. Do your weeklies. Just that. Crafting weeklies. Rep weeklies. Loot weeklies. It all snowballs. And those shiny ED toys can be converted into set pieces every other week for free.
Think you came closer to answering the question than B. I know anything older is trivial since it's no longer linear, you just level into current thing and have that crafting tied to that expansion.

But your saying the best any skill has to offer I can just gather materials and get someone to make for me anyways? Nothing that is great but only for the crafter? If so sounds like other than gathering for dragon flight materials, maybe only useful thing is just making your own potions over buying them? last half of answer got too deep on terms someone gone for years to know.

Sludig

Can you have herbalism and mining on tracking at same time ?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Can you have herbalism and mining on tracking at same time ?
Yes, you can. My DH has both on all the time. One thing you get in the spec trees for gathering is the ability to gather while mounted, including flying mounts.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Think you came closer to answering the question than B. I know anything older is trivial since it's no longer linear, you just level into current thing and have that crafting tied to that expansion.

But your saying the best any skill has to offer I can just gather materials and get someone to make for me anyways? Nothing that is great but only for the crafter? If so sounds like other than gathering for dragon flight materials, maybe only useful thing is just making your own potions over buying them? last half of answer got too deep on terms someone gone for years to know.
You have to find someone willing to craft it for you, but pretty much yes. If you want to just gather then have at it. Not sure if you can do crafting orders cross server, but if you need anything done with LW my main hunter is on Earthen Ring and won't charge to do combines as long as you provide all the mats. It is a kick in the dick having to do the main reps for every crafter to get all recipes, but I will get everything done up eventually.

Sludig

You have to find someone willing to craft it for you, but pretty much yes. If you want to just gather then have at it. Not sure if you can do crafting orders cross server, but if you need anything done with LW my main hunter is on Earthen Ring and won't charge to do combines as long as you provide all the mats. It is a kick in the dick having to do the main reps for every crafter to get all recipes, but I will get everything done up eventually.
Doh and based on his no I went ahead and started our chars as Tailor/skin mining/engineer herb/alch. Going to be so far behind I dont think there'd be a serious use to them, just kinda fun to play with and level, on other hand, trying to save as much money as possible to have a decent amount for the next expansion or something would be nice. Think I have all of 120k combined.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last week was timewalking. My bur got the BIS fyrakk weapon from that chest
I spent my sparks and wyrm crests creating a badass weapon just to get a 480 staff from Iridigan or whatever the name of the primal inside the mega dungeon from my chest. Made me mad enough to rage quit for a bit. Wow is always better at the end of the expansion anyway when you aren't time gated

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I spent my sparks and wyrm crests creating a badass weapon just to get a 480 staff from Iridigan or whatever the name of the primal inside the mega dungeon from my chest. Made me mad enough to rage quit for a bit. Wow is always better at the end of the expansion anyway when you aren't time gated

imagine how much nicer it would be to simply have full completed expansions with all content available up front every 1-2 years

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah, that's why I am slow rolling right now and getting toons levelled and working on reps and trades. There have been at least 3 full stop gear resets this xpac, so other than my hunter I am not even trying to keep the rest up. The bur getting Roshion like that made me laugh, though. And the weapon is a fucking monster. 4x damage on mobs over 90% health + huge damage proc + best stats. I am one shotting regular 70 mobs with moonfire. It's obscene.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The last time I logged into WoW was in 2016, but today I re-subbed because the game has been getting a lot of positive hype. I looked around for about an hour and logged back out.

I wish it could, but WoW just can't capture my attention anymore.

P.S. Fuck Blizzard for making me rename a character after having the name for 13 years.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The last time I logged into WoW was in 2016, but today I re-subbed because the game has been getting a lot of positive hype. I looked around for about an hour and logged back out.

I wish it could, but WoW just can't capture my attention anymore.

P.S. Fuck Blizzard for making me rename a character after having the name for 13 years.
To be fair, the last three expansions have been complete dog shit story wise. It's to the point that if there's no extrinsic motivation present, any normal male with masculine interests is really going to struggle to connect with the mewling feminized cutscene fiesta of what should have been a high fantasy adventure.

They really only have just started to turn around their core systems design bloat and obnoxious time vampire game content in DF, but the story is at its absolute worst. The only silver lining is the talents and specs are the best they've ever been for most classes.

If you really think you want to play again, the pre patch for TWW is a good target. If you want to play now you can try leveling a fresh character in the expac you liked and then just plan to drink heavily when you get to gay dragonland quests.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Eh, the story and quest dialogue you can just skip. I think its the aesthetic of the game now. The art style and direction just isnt the WOW I know. A lot of people Ive talked to about that confuse the art style with me wanting some kind of dated looking game. I liked the old EQ characters more than the new ones in Luclin. Not because the old ones were superior, but they just looked better. They fit the world that EverQuest was, and the animations werent pure ass. Never mind that the new character models disabled a lot of the old armor cosmetics. I bring that up because you can make a direct comparison between a lot of the designs, even structures out in the world, that just do not fit with what Warcraft looked like. If you took a new structure from DF, made it into a sprite that kept its form accurately - the sprite from DF would look incredibly out of place in the Warcraft 3. You could take anything, all the way up to Legion, and make it fit into Warcraft 3. But since BFA - the art style has been getting progressively.. "worse".. at least, in my book. When Im playing the game, it feels like some cross between fucking Wizard101/Free Realms and Disney, and this is their bastard fucking offspring. I hate it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Sure, but for me the core issue is the entire setting is too glossy and soft. Everything from textures to voiceovers to story. I hope that Metzen can pivot but I'm not as hopeful after seeing that TWW launch trailer with two crying dudes hugging it out.

• 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Sure, but for me the core issue is the entire setting is too glossy and soft. Everything from textures to voiceovers to story. I hope that Metzen can pivot but I'm not as hopeful after seeing that TWW launch trailer with two crying dudes hugging it out.

You have to accept that while you were the demographic that put Blizzard on the map, you are no longer their target audience and they don’t care about you.

They are after the soy fag turbo queer demographic, and cater all design elements to appeal to that.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

To be fair, the last three expansions have been complete dog shit story wise. It's to the point that if there's no extrinsic motivation present, any normal male with masculine interests is really going to struggle to connect with the mewling feminized cutscene fiesta of what should have been a high fantasy adventure.

They really only have just started to turn around their core systems design bloat and obnoxious time vampire game content in DF, but the story is at its absolute worst. The only silver lining is the talents and specs are the best they've ever been for most classes.

If you really think you want to play again, the pre patch for TWW is a good target. If you want to play now you can try leveling a fresh character in the expac you liked and then just plan to drink heavily when you get to gay dragonland quests.
When we played for a few months in legion and again now, that's been reasonable fun trying to not give a fuck (hard since I used to be a server 1st/2nd type of guild), and just exploring having fun w/ some of the silly quests, I think Kirin Tor is very appealing, I chuckled at killing Totes the goat and getting his Tote.

But that's about it, I dont think from what I've seen I'd enjoy the dumb grind for stuff as it exists, I still don't care for the stats/item rework to Ilevel and mastery/versatility etc. If I was retired I could see being able to try to be like raid competitive again but that days far away.

I both like and hate the whole making it pick your leveling adventure where every expac is level adjusted to you, at least as far as professions because it eliminates what little chance you had of making much money leveling old stuff that other people might have to grind and alt through to hit current gen. At least the old school version of myself wouldn't mind that grind of having to actually level 1-1000 or whatever it would be in a craft skill. Wouldn't be that hard.

But again, outside the raid stuff, the scaling is too easy, like with just heirloom weapon and 2 piece and I'm 2 shotting everything, it's just faceroll. Vs messing with classic I've had a few big fuck yeah moments pulling off a win vs many adds/respawns/crazy shit leaving me scrambling for every cooldown and jumping off scenery to give me 4 seconds to bandage and survive etc. It's tedious as fuck quality of life but more rewarding.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My hunter hasn't changed in terms of play style since... before Legion. The last major change was when they got rid of minimum range for bows/guns and ditched swapping out permanently. Pets still tank nicely, although not as well as back when the pet heal was channeled and not a HOT. Warlock OTOH tank pet is pure shit in aff spec. I may have to look at trying demonology again.

Legion art was definitely apex WOW. Everything just radiated awesomeness. Not just the art, game direction was on point too. I wish they had kept the weapons that way permanently, and just let them grow with us. I also miss player housing/farm/garrison/class hall type stuff. Those added immensely to the immersion, because they gave you a sense of ownership and stake in whatever the fuck was going on in the story.

• 1Like