World of Warcraft: Current Year

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My hunter hasn't changed in terms of play style since... before Legion. The last major change was when they got rid of minimum range for bows/guns and ditched swapping out permanently. Pets still tank nicely, although not as well as back when the pet heal was channeled and not a HOT. Warlock OTOH tank pet is pure shit in aff spec. I may have to look at trying demonology again.

Legion art was definitely apex WOW. Everything just radiated awesomeness. Not just the art, game direction was on point too. I wish they had kept the weapons that way permanently, and just let them grow with us. I also miss player housing/farm/garrison/class hall type stuff. Those added immensely to the immersion, because they gave you a sense of ownership and stake in whatever the fuck was going on in the story.
Disagree with the last, many of them were cool, however, I still think what makes raiding less meaningful is not lusting after some big dick weapon drop like the old days. Actual status symbol to others.

I got zero immersion/stake, but I did kinda not mind and even like a bit doing the class hall ordering folks around, suprised they didnt try to cram a full on RTS mini game of sorts into wow. Though your peeps being all these big name big hitters seemed silly.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Disagree with the last, many of them were cool, however, I still think what makes raiding less meaningful is not lusting after some big dick weapon drop like the old days. Actual status symbol to others.

I got zero immersion/stake, but I did kinda not mind and even like a bit doing the class hall ordering folks around, suprised they didnt try to cram a full on RTS mini game of sorts into wow. Though your peeps being all these big name big hitters seemed silly.
Meatball was a good boy.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

When we played for a few months in legion and again now, that's been reasonable fun trying to not give a fuck (hard since I used to be a server 1st/2nd type of guild), and just exploring having fun w/ some of the silly quests, I think Kirin Tor is very appealing, I chuckled at killing Totes the goat and getting his Tote.

But that's about it, I dont think from what I've seen I'd enjoy the dumb grind for stuff as it exists, I still don't care for the stats/item rework to Ilevel and mastery/versatility etc. If I was retired I could see being able to try to be like raid competitive again but that days far away.

I both like and hate the whole making it pick your leveling adventure where every expac is level adjusted to you, at least as far as professions because it eliminates what little chance you had of making much money leveling old stuff that other people might have to grind and alt through to hit current gen. At least the old school version of myself wouldn't mind that grind of having to actually level 1-1000 or whatever it would be in a craft skill. Wouldn't be that hard.

But again, outside the raid stuff, the scaling is too easy, like with just heirloom weapon and 2 piece and I'm 2 shotting everything, it's just faceroll. Vs messing with classic I've had a few big fuck yeah moments pulling off a win vs many adds/respawns/crazy shit leaving me scrambling for every cooldown and jumping off scenery to give me 4 seconds to bandage and survive etc. It's tedious as fuck quality of life but more rewarding.
If you can get over the poopsock mentality and find 9+ other likeminded individuals, with relatively close skill levels, the heroic raid game can be decent for a working man. I looked at it like the softball leagues my dad used to play in, or the bowling leagues my grandpappy used to play in (just w/o the healthy exercise), in that two nights a week, for 3 to 4 hours, you are doing your team sport/raid. You can then spend an hour or two, one or two more nights, and get a leg up doing 5 man content, or weeklies, but it's not necessarily required.

As for the Legion weapons, as someone who never gave a fuck about showing off in town, I liked them as well. They did put in transmog weps in the raids that looked awesome (like: link & link), for the people that liked sitting in town afk to stroke their ego. The raids also gave a unique skin for the legiondary weapons too.

• 1Like

Daidraco

If you can get over the poopsock mentality and find 9+ other likeminded individuals, with relatively close skill levels, the heroic raid game can be decent for a working man. I looked at it like the softball leagues my dad used to play in, or the bowling leagues my grandpappy used to play in (just w/o the healthy exercise), in that two nights a week, for 3 to 4 hours, you are doing your team sport/raid. You can then spend an hour or two, one or two more nights, and get a leg up doing 5 man content, or weeklies, but it's not necessarily required.

As for the Legion weapons, as someone who never gave a fuck about showing off in town, I liked them as well. They did put in transmog weps in the raids that looked awesome (like: link & link), for the people that liked sitting in town afk to stroke their ego. The raids also gave a unique skin for the legiondary weapons too.
I felt like they could have done a lot more with Relics. Getting the big dick relic from Xavius Heroic or something was like a pat on the back. Great, you got your DPS boost - but who the fuck knows you did other than those that go looking for it? Had such a good time in Legion though, and its not hard to see that a good chunk of people like and miss Legion, too.

Merrith

My hunter hasn't changed in terms of play style since... before Legion. The last major change was when they got rid of minimum range for bows/guns and ditched swapping out permanently. Pets still tank nicely, although not as well as back when the pet heal was channeled and not a HOT. Warlock OTOH tank pet is pure shit in aff spec. I may have to look at trying demonology again.

Legion art was definitely apex WOW. Everything just radiated awesomeness. Not just the art, game direction was on point too. I wish they had kept the weapons that way permanently, and just let them grow with us. I also miss player housing/farm/garrison/class hall type stuff. Those added immensely to the immersion, because they gave you a sense of ownership and stake in whatever the fuck was going on in the story.

Granted, I haven't played DF at all, and only dipped my toe in Shadowlands during the 9.0 launch, but I find it odd you think hunter pets tanked better when the pet heal was channeled. Honestly those days sucked b/c you couldn't do any other globals/damage while you were channeling the heal to actually kill the mob faster like you can with it just being a single global to put the HoT on.

Having left during Cata and not returned until the end of legion, Marksman spec at the end of Legion was the best pure hunter spec I ever played, seems to have gotten worse ever since, though.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Granted, I haven't played DF at all, and only dipped my toe in Shadowlands during the 9.0 launch, but I find it odd you think hunter pets tanked better when the pet heal was channeled. Honestly those days sucked b/c you couldn't do any other globals/damage while you were channeling the heal to actually kill the mob faster like you can with it just being a single global to put the HoT on.

Having left during Cata and not returned until the end of legion, Marksman spec at the end of Legion was the best pure hunter spec I ever played, seems to have gotten worse ever since, though.
The OG pet heal scaled with your gear or RAP or int or something, and when you got the talents for it it let you keep your pet up in insane conditions. Mana sting, viper sting, get some other hits in, and keep fluffy alive. You were able to kill elites no one else could even come close to. You do get to do a lot more dps with the current version, but the trade off is that your pet dies a lot more often.

Sludig

Just got this out of an old lockbox on an alt. Wowhead comments seem to make it out as mega rare recipie that sells for oodles due to the hat appearance I think?

Any resource for a true market value, or am I just silly? I see a few of the hats for 500g and a pattern for 1.5mil.

Burns

Just got this out of an old lockbox on an alt. Wowhead comments seem to make it out as mega rare recipie that sells for oodles due to the hat appearance I think?

Any resource for a true market value, or am I just silly? I see a few of the hats for 500g and a pattern for 1.5mil.
I was going to say that you can use The Undermine Journal website to find prices across wow over time, but they shut it down. That site now says to use The Undermine Exchange but I have no idea how it compares to the superlative Undermine Journal.

• 1Like

Sludig

I was going to say that you can use The Undermine Journal website to find prices across wow over time, but they shut it down. That site now says to use The Undermine Exchange but I have no idea how it compares to the superlative Undermine Journal.
From what I can understand, looks like if I find that rare buyer I could get from several hundred thousand thru even up over a mill.

Debating throw it up for half the other guy on icecrown and list for like 800ll, or consider trying to make these things though that's a very long time table to exceed a few hundred k selling them for 1-2 at a time for anywhere from 10-30k

Sludig

Is shadowlands part of another expansion or it's own? Confused because I dont see it on my timewalking choices, and seem to only see it on some crafting skills training options.

It's the one b4 or after BFA? If it's newest before dragon flight I guess I could see it's still paywalled. Think I said if we keep playing I'll preorder BW since it includes DF with it so immediate content.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is shadowlands part of another expansion or it's own? Confused because I dont see it on my timewalking choices, and seem to only see it on some crafting skills training options.

It's the one b4 or after BFA? If it's newest before dragon flight I guess I could see it's still paywalled. Think I said if we keep playing I'll preorder BW since it includes DF with it so immediate content.
Since it's immediately before DF it's not time walking it's just current. You just go to SL at level 10 or 20 or whatever.

Sludig

Since it's immediately before DF it's not time walking it's just current. You just go to SL at level 10 or 20 or whatever.
What's the entrance? I may have missed the portal, boralus was simple since all my characters get spammed w/ the quest to start kul tiras.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What's the entrance? I may have missed the portal, boralus was simple since all my characters get spammed w/ the quest to start kul tiras.
It's a quest to go to shadow lands uhh think it's a portal to ice crown?

Burns

You may need to be 58 to get the quest to go there. If you are just going to get tradeskill stuff, then see if there is a portal to Orborus, or whatever it's called. Maybe ask a mage if it's not showing up in the mage guild.

The intro quest is kinda long, but it was decent XP, if it forces you to do the intro quest. I remember needing to go to Icecrown from Stormwind, but don't remember exactly where the quest starts. The Docks area, somewhere, maybe.

Daidraco

BFA was at least halfway enjoyable to quest through. Dont rush to Shadowlands, but through it.

Merrith

The OG pet heal scaled with your gear or RAP or int or something, and when you got the talents for it it let you keep your pet up in insane conditions. Mana sting, viper sting, get some other hits in, and keep fluffy alive. You were able to kill elites no one else could even come close to. You do get to do a lot more dps with the current version, but the trade off is that your pet dies a lot more often.

It was just so tedious, and I found you could easily solo stuff other classes couldn't as BM especially after the change. Easy heal, strong pet, and you were free to actually do damage to kill it faster (which helps keep pet alive).

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It was just so tedious, and I found you could easily solo stuff other classes couldn't as BM especially after the change. Easy heal, strong pet, and you were free to actually do damage to kill it faster (which helps keep pet alive).
It was a balance tradeoff Blizz made. They didn't like hunters showing everyone up, but couldn't just yeet it without completely crippling the class. For solo hijinks in vanilla no one could hold a candle to hunter. They soloed things that were clearly meant for groups. I get why they made the change, and am 100% OK with it. I just said pets tanked better in vanilla because they did. It was a different game back then.

Merrith

It was a balance tradeoff Blizz made. They didn't like hunters showing everyone up, but couldn't just yeet it without completely crippling the class. For solo hijinks in vanilla no one could hold a candle to hunter. They soloed things that were clearly meant for groups. I get why they made the change, and am 100% OK with it. I just said pets tanked better in vanilla because they did. It was a different game back then.

I don't know if I'd say no one could hold a candle to a hunter, especially at higher levels. Certain stuff just hit so hard the channel couldn't keep up the same way certain classes could scale better with armor. Paladins at high levels were similar...take forever to kill, but could tank/heal themselves through a ton.

Edit: And I just disagree that pets tanked better in Vanilla. The highest level elites would mince a hunter pet in Vanilla in a way a hunter pet in say BFA/etc could effectively tank far better imo. The scaling was just different.

Daidraco

I don't know if I'd say no one could hold a candle to a hunter, especially at higher levels. Certain stuff just hit so hard the channel couldn't keep up the same way certain classes could scale better with armor. Paladins at high levels were similar...take forever to kill, but could tank/heal themselves through a ton.

Edit: And I just disagree that pets tanked better in Vanilla. The highest level elites would mince a hunter pet in Vanilla in a way a hunter pet in say BFA/etc could effectively tank far better imo. The scaling was just different.
I vaguely remember having my pet tank elites as I leveled in classic. This was before MC and I want to say my talents were all pushed into making it tank better and myself, heal it better. Then, I want to say I had a pet that had its own defensive ability at the time. Some named turtle or some shit? And I could activate that whenever shit was getting bad. Been so long I cant remember, cause I also remember having a pet that had some stupid low delay on attack with a long ass stun, too. I think this is really just more of a poorly worded argument. I wouldnt say, or know, if my pets tanked better than an actual Warrior or something - but I was able to solo shit that they couldnt and I think thats the main takeaway.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

I vaguely remember having my pet tank elites as I leveled in classic. This was before MC and I want to say my talents were all pushed into making it tank better and myself, heal it better. Then, I want to say I had a pet that had its own defensive ability at the time. Some named turtle or some shit? And I could activate that whenever shit was getting bad. Been so long I cant remember, cause I also remember having a pet that had some stupid low delay on attack with a long ass stun, too. I think this is really just more of a poorly worded argument. I wouldnt say, or know, if my pets tanked better than an actual Warrior or something - but I was able to solo shit that they couldnt and I think thats the main takeaway.

Classic would be a little different than actual Vanilla, given that it basically started with Patch 1.12 or whatever, right? There were a lot of improvements/QoL made for hunter pets as Vanilla went on.