World of Warcraft: Current Year

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Unless you are going for the cheevo you can get the shark tank off of other rares as well. I got mine off the daily murloc or crabby thing you trigger in cave by opening the chest.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Re: Timewalking -

As most others have said, it's a lot of muscle memory, but timewalking sets don't hurt.

Any legendaries are generally instantly awesome, as are anything with sockets. Since it's older shit, you can enchant just about everything. I was farming up h25 dragon soul for mounts + transmog, and all of the tank items in there are just monstrous. Multiple sockets, and the weapons have procs, which are nice. Things scale weirdly; apparently the mirror of the blademaster gets it's agi scaled down, but not it's damage, so it'll wreck everything. Expect 11k+ dps if you have that trinket.

Plus, you get the bonus of using the BiS trinkets/set bonuses from way back when. My prot paladin uses the HFC set, just because I absorb so much god damn dmg with the 2 pc and am just always max holy power because of 4 pc, but the dragon soul prot warrior set does similar. (Absorption based on revenge dmg, or something.)

Granted, even assuming sockets, I'm curious if the static dodge/parry etc on the old gear ends up being better than the offensive stats = defensive stats that it currently is. I ran an old paladin through timewalking who was wearing ICC25 heroic gear and just never budged - my warrior in WoD gear got chunked. And it's not like I don't know my rotation, cuz put me in a mythic and I will stomp that shit but good golly.

There's tons of shit that go into it though; you can't really heal the way you do in current content. The mana regen is amp'd to hell and back, for the sole reason that you'll be casting your quick, non efficient heals most of the time.

The thing that annoys the fuck out of me is that it's generally pulling that is the bane of instances. People forget that what truly made the heroics hard were the way packs were positioned and what the mobs could do. For example, there's a pull area in mana tombs that is one pack, with another pack around the corner. Near the second pack is a patrol that paths back and forth; a bad pull for one reason or another can potentially (And by potentially I mean I fucking have the worst luck so if someone fucks it up this is happening) pull the group around the corner which can attract that patrol and based on where the pat is on it's pathing, can grab the other pack on the other side of the hall. Because it's mana tombs, the mobs will all: Fear, CC, Silence, Interrupt, and Stun. Wtf.

It's easier than it was before just due to tweaks and an increase in overall class power, but man.

Add to that shit like a hunter with barrage and jesus fuck.

I did Pit of Saron 3 times in TW, tanking it 2 out of those 3 times. I cannot remember how I tanked it before, but we wiped once; the second time I just literally kited him around the ice patches and never got into melee range. The second time on the other tank, we had no wipes, went very easy, and everyone was so god damn amazed a group could do it and not end up with massive repair bills that we're now all besties.

I will say though, that doing TW dungeons has made me a lot of new friends, especially if I tank. I regularly run with a husband and wife; dude nearly lost it when I tanked a mob with my back against the wall to avoid being thrown across the room (like you did in TBC) and correctly guessed that I remembered the dungeons from that era.

It goes so much more smoothly when people can just remember how to pull, and which mobs to prioritize.

TL;DR - Muscle memory is your friend, pulling is the hardest thing, timewalking sets are awesome.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
A while back I looked for timewalking set advice but didn't get anything actionable on google. I'll have to look again. The idea of min/maxing TW is compelling until I start looking at old gear and trying to find appropriate gems. Then I remember I'll spend way more time putting together a set than I'd have saved by running TW non-optimally.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've noticed this too with muscle memory or what ever you want to call it. Hadn't run PoS since Wrath (not counting soloing at 90/100 where you one shot everything) and yet I remembered all the mechanics. I do think the harder dungeons of the past were more fun, but we've entered a slippery slope where people just seem to expect to be able to rush Heroics and have them done in 5-7 minutes. :/

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
A while back I looked for timewalking set advice but didn't get anything actionable on google. I'll have to look again. The idea of min/maxing TW is compelling until I start looking at old gear and trying to find appropriate gems. Then I remember I'll spend way more time putting together a set than I'd have saved by running TW non-optimally.
It's something you do out of boredom, or because it's fun for you, hardly efficient by itself, but it can speed up runs by a lot. I ran as shadow priest with Tarecgosa and SoO set bonus, plus 715 ring and some good trinkets, fully gemmed and enchanted: it fucking destroys everything, I can easily reach 10k dps with some lucky procs, stuff just melts and even as a dps, tanks and healers are usually requeing right away instead of bailing out, because skyhigh dps is awesome to do TW. I have seen decked out rogues spike up to amazing numbers in AoE trash pulls (40 to 60k dps), but they were truly BiS for the content.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
TBC timewalking is especially painful because of what Vex mentioned... all the CC AND shit like mana drain. I have had to defend a lot of healers while tanking to other people in the group and scold shitty hunters and casters for running ahead and trying to pull 3 packs at a time. "Why no heals?" Because the healer was CC chained because you pulled half the room dumbass. TBC has the most of that, the other eras have it here and there but it's not nearly as bad. WoTLK is the easiest, TBC is the hardest, Cata is somewhere in the middle because they had decided they made WoTLK too easy. I've never done a mythic dungeon in WoD but I'm assuming they are easier than TBC heroics were back in the day.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've never done a mythic dungeon in WoD but I'm assuming they are easier than TBC heroics were back in the day.
Depends on gear and group dps, but generally speaking in mythic dungeons there is more damage incoming and less status effects such as stuns, drains, disorient and whatnot. I find them on par with tbc or slightly easier, but as a brewmaster everything is easy to manage in dungeons. As a healer there is no comparison, as long as you have enough throughput, mythics are much easier. I have been silenced and /or incapacitated for about 15s in mana tombs, not even fucking arena pvp did that to me, ever.

Khane

Hard to believe there is more damage incoming in Mythics since you HAD to CC every mob but 1 or MAYBE 2 in TBC heroics at release otherwise your tank was just fucked and there was nothing you could do about it, even if the healer wasn't CCed

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
TBC timewalking is especially painful because of what Vex mentioned... all the CC AND shit like mana drain. I have had to defend a lot of healers while tanking to other people in the group and scold shitty hunters and casters for running ahead and trying to pull 3 packs at a time. "Why no heals?" Because the healer was CC chained because you pulled half the room dumbass. TBC has the most of that, the other eras have it here and there but it's not nearly as bad. WoTLK is the easiest, TBC is the hardest, Cata is somewhere in the middle because they had decided they made WoTLK too easy. I've never done a mythic dungeon in WoD but I'm assuming they are easier than TBC heroics were back in the day.
TBC heroics on release were absolutely absurd and nothing even comes close to that shit. Those dungeons were doable by maybe 2% of the total player base and I'm overestimating that if anything. You had raiding guilds that literally leveled up a bunch of Mage alts to get people through SH flagging, because they simply could not complete SH with less than 2 Mages and thus had to run multiple groups, flagging people one at a time, in order to get people flagged within a reasonable time frame.

Sure, once they added badge gear and fixed a lot of the glaring class balance issues by like patch 2.3 they became a lot easier, but on release they were absolutely ridiculous.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh god yes. Some of the TBC stuff you get silenced/spell locked almost constantly if they pull more than one group. Its one reason though I like druid healing most of what I do is instant cast so at least I can avoid giving them much chance at the spell lock but the silences/stuns were real.

Khane

After googling it appears you can't use the dungeon finder tool for them, but rather have to form a group and actually run to the instance entrance and zone in that way. They only drop ilvl 680 gear except for the last boss which can drop ilvl 700. They can only be done once per character per week each. They are just the WoD dungeons but with a difficulty that's higher than heroic.