World of Warcraft: Current Year

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
^ I have the exact opposite opinion.

Edit: The legendary items from MoP and WoD date your character and make them unique. I have several max level characters, but only a few completed legendary rings. Same with the cloak. You'll be happy to hear that they're seemingly moving away from the cloak/ring style legendaries and making them a little more traditionally acquired in Legion. I doubt they'll remove the Legion drops given how they're acquired vs. an expansion-long story quest.
I disagree, because nobody gives a shit anymore about the cloak, just as the ring will be forgotten very very soon once we enter Legion.
The only use you can pull out of the cloak nowadays is to look pretty and do some extra dps during timewalking. Unfortunately I can't make the cloak anymore on my current main, but I have 3 rings completed on my account (well, 10 tomes to go for the third). Yay me for not being able to play MoP longer when it was a snorefest to get the cloak.
People complete these quests because they have fuck all to do, the power gains are negligible even during timewalking (at least for a single item, if you stack a lot of stuff on the other hand...).
I completed Tarecgosa, sometimes I go clear MC for Thunderfury 2nd binding, which eluded me for years, I occasionally clear for Thoridal and was going to work on Val'anyr one day.

I could see the unique snowflake speech during vanilla/tbc/wrath/cata as it took a guild to make one single legendary, maybe two if luck was abundant. MoP/WoD legendaries are not that rare as they could be obtained with semi-afk LFR and a lot of patience.
Also legendaries cannot be used for transmogrification, so I guess there would be zero damage done to reintegrating those quests even fashion-wise. I still have all the legendary pieces on my priest, in case they decide to let me get the last few drops and complete the cloak (which would complete my timewalking set). I pull 10 to 15k dps in timewalking as shadow priest (even higher, depends on fight of course), which is 3 or 4 times the standard pug member, I can live without the cloak boost, but it pisses me off to no end.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You only need help for the blood infusion part. The other two can be done solo (source: did it on my warrior just last month, collecting 50 shards now).

I have no friends so I had to resort to trade chat for help. Got called a troll for offering gold but in the end found two nice people to help.

Currently gearing my 80 DK for Herald of the Titans. Need two or three slots (first Ulduar 25 run was good) and then I'm set.
How do you do unholy infusion solo? Putricide always just resets when I drink the potion to transform.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I have no friends so I had to resort to trade chat for help. Got called a troll for offering gold but in the end found two nice people to help.
This reminded me of something i'm running into lately. Apparently the norm has shifted so towards trolling that genuine offers are now believed to be trolls far more than legit. I try to give those void touched satchels away to new players who don't have them yet, because they don't sell for shit and I get like 6 a month and a majority of the time they're assuming i'm scamming or screwing with them.

Dom_sl

shitlord
^ I have the exact opposite opinion.

Edit: The legendary items from MoP and WoD date your character and make them unique. I have several max level characters, but only a few completed legendary rings. Same with the cloak. You'll be happy to hear that they're seemingly moving away from the cloak/ring style legendaries and making them a little more traditionally acquired in Legion. I doubt they'll remove the Legion drops given how they're acquired vs. an expansion-long story quest.
Who honestly gives a shit about when a character was created/active in the now long lifespan of this game? If I told you that I have two vanilla characters sitting around, would that mean anything? Would your opinion of me or those characters matter? Would your opinion of your own characters matter?

I really don't care about the legendaries themselves. I don't agree that they're not accessible, but I don't personally care. What I do care about is that if I want to learn about the seriously important lore regarding Wrathion: I have to go fucking youtube it instead of being able to experience it myself, all because Blizzard wants to make people feel like they'll permanently miss out on shit so that they'll stay subbed.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Well all you have to do is save up $300 million dollars and you can make an MMO with legendaries that don't get removed every expansion. Then I'll play WoW and you'll play your game and we'll both be happy instead of being at our current impasse.

Edit: I'll clarify a little bit. I know this is an old school mentality, but it used to be that you played an RPG (whether tabletop or video game) and you had one character. Alts weren't really a concept. It was a pain in the ass to run multiple characters and if you created a new character you didn't really play the other one. You did everything with that one character, even if they weren't the most optimal for a given activity. They were an extension of yourself.

These days people make several characters with a loose concept of having one "main" character. I like the idea of having characters that are special and historied, characters that you invested effort into and weren't just another alt in your stable. With the catchup mechanics in place in WoW these days I can create a new character and be geared enough to raid Heroic/Mythic in just a couple days played. Maybe it's a sign of my age, but that just seems wrong to me. Can you truly master your character in that amount of time?

Anyway, the expansion-only legendaries harkon back to those old GM events in EQ where they handed out rare items. Not everybody got one, and the people that did had a story to tell. That's cool to me. Sure, getting the legendaries when they were available may not have been as exclusive as those old GM events, but they still give you that cool story. My buddy who hasn't played WoW since Wrath was asking me about the legendaries from MoP and WoD and really enjoyed my stories of how I got them and the stories behind them. I think WoW should be doing more shit like these legendaries, not less.

Perhaps the most succinct way I can state my argument is that the legendaries are like tangible "Ahead of the Curve" feats of strength. You can't get them after patch X.XX, and that's ok, because you were Ahead of the Curve.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I couldn't give two shits about the cloak or ring once the next expansion drops, take those out whenever if you want to keep their mystique. Removing the quest lines that provide a majority of the continuity of the expansion is just dumb though. You might as well just remove the raid zones entirely once obsolete.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
That's fair. If I had to guess I'd say that they don't want to devote the resources to going through all the quests and removing/replacing the rewards and making sure they don't have any weird bugs.

Dom_sl

shitlord
That's fair. If I had to guess I'd say that they don't want to devote the resources to going through all the quests and removing/replacing the rewards and making sure they don't have any weird bugs.
It would take next to no effort to go through the dozen or so quests and simply remove the rewards associated with each quest. And even if that wasn't the case, then your logic could also be applied to difficulties/dangers in the removal of the quests as well.

This is a direct decision to remove important content from expansions. It's not about difficulty. We could argue all day about whether or not it's about keeping people subbed, or rewarding people for being there. In the end, the only thing we know for sure is that people coming afterwards get a reduced product and less things to do in a game that is becoming increasingly bereft of content.p

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Taking the quest line out can create just as many bugs as editing the reward to not be the legendary and leave the rest the same.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There's plenty of stuff no one is gonna see again. Legendary quest lines, the invasion of naxxramas, the original naxxramas raid, the opening of aq40 (seriously cool stuff) . I'm OK with them removing legendary quest lines when an expansion ends. You missed out if you didn't go through it.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well all you have to do is save up $300 million dollars and you can make an MMO with legendaries that don't get removed every expansion. Then I'll play WoW and you'll play your game and we'll both be happy instead of being at our current impasse.
I'd probably end up Shilling style, so in case I find 300 millions on the ground, I'll pass if that's the same for you
biggrin.png

I understand what you say, but there is one thing to consider: WoW is about making everything accessible, more and more as time passes, removing the most interesting parts of an expansion pack sounds going the opposite way to me.
One character only? We used to occasionally change characters even during pen and paper sessions of D&D about 30 years ago, I had 2 mains in Everquest and 7 characters total, I have 12 level 100 in WoW as well, even if I mostly play the same 4 or 5 regularly. I doubt Blizzard would be happy to see me leave for 6 months instead of playing alts.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I still think legendaries should become heirlooms or something after their expansion, or have an additional questline to do that. People would play that content forever if they did, unless an expansion changes something too much to adapt the old quest.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I actually would like it if they became heirlooms but were unable to be obtained if you missed the quest. That would be cool shit.

This game has everything so easily accessible to every little shithead. Having unique stuff like that is what makes a game great.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It really pisses some people off that you can go back to old content after you've outleveled it to do a legendary questline? Who the fuck cares if people go back to get a legendary item years later?

Nobody cares if you take your legendary cloak out of the bank to do a timewalking dungeon. Nobody is even checking.

Wanting content to be removed so you can feel special is far more petulant than someone wanting to go back and see content they weren't able to during that era.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Wanting content to be removed so you can feel special is far more petulant than someone wanting to go back and see content they weren't able to during that era.
Definitely this. You get your chance to feel special with your legendary item while it's still current content. Wanting Blizzard to remove things so you can feel superior to others is pretty lame.

News Flash: Nobody thinks you're a rock star because you've played a video game longer than someone else