World of Warcraft: Current Year

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't think naxx was a disaster, but I was far, far too easy

As someone that didn't have the opportunity to do OG Naxx (which was the majority of the playerbase) I rather enjoyed my time doing it in WOTLK. It was certainly too easy, but that was more an issue of lacking difficulty modes like we have now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Naxx was also just reused from a previous expansion.
I mean, can you imagine if Blizzard just copy pasted the hub city straight from another expa... Oh.

But yeah, given the choice between the 6 month discount rate and a 'free' mount or unsubbing, I too picked unsubbing. I'm sure I'll resub a week or two prior to 8.1.5 or 8.2.

Until then though, time to have my two weekends of Destiny 2 for this half of the year then get back to DQ11 (since I'm not buying a console for RDR).

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
And to reiterate, even with the remaining wow sub time I have, I'm spending far more of it on gambling RNG likes me with legion emissary bag mounts and soloing old raids for mounts/pets/set armors than playing BFA.

Fucker

Log Wizard
And to reiterate, even with the remaining wow sub time I have, I'm spending far more of it on gambling RNG likes me with legion emissary bag mounts and soloing old raids for mounts/pets/set armors than playing BFA.

I keep forgetting about old raids. Which ones are good at 120? I did a BFA emissary the other day and got 0 gold...and I'm down to 30k total.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Q&A happening right now. Interested to see what they actually get asked or if it's another youtube video of softball questions

ALSO METZEN JUST SHOWED UP TO ASK WHEN THE HORDE IS GETTING ITS TRUE WARCHIEF BACK LMAO

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
They didn't let red shirt guy ask a question again this year but the camera zoomed in on him. Rude!

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They didn't let red shirt guy ask a question again this year but the camera zoomed in on him. Rude!

They already had a red shirt guy ask a question this con; it didn't seem to work out so well for them.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
  • The team is trying to strike a balance between deterministic goals and RNG. Ion acknowledges that the RNG has gone too far. Going forward, they are introducing some vendors and trying to implement more deterministic methods of obtaining important gear.
    • The team has discussed improving bad luck protection and streak breaking (getting multiples of the same item) especially in weekly caches.
Yessssssssss

• It is likely that class themed armor will return in the future, but for the time being they want to continue to create more armor appearances based on where it is obtained.

Glad about this too. The lack of diversity in sets has been off-putting.

Last edited:

xzi

Mouthbreather
My favorite thing about the entire Q&A is whenever a critical question like GCD, RNG, tier sets, etc - Alex just laughed and looked at Ion

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
My favorite thing about the entire Q&A is whenever a critical question like GCD, RNG, tier sets, etc - Alex just laughed and looked at Ion
There is a reason why he’s been there longer than a lot of those guys but isn’t the major public face I bet. He doesn’t want to lie to everyone.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
That’s the thing it is so formulaic and shitty. They have found this garbage way of doing things to make the game paint by numbers. That and the removal of content just to add it back over and over, flying as an example, do it our way and then get the quality of life improvement back then later we take it away again.

Add Flying then remove it, then add it, then remove it, then add it.
Brawlers guild then remove it, then add it, then remove it, then add it.
Class abilities added, then removed, then added, then removed.

I mean think of this expac. what do we know. They will add over the next year 2 maybe 3 raids, 2-3 dungeons, some catch up mechanics that 100% negate any effort put into the game prior. They will add 1-2 new zones in which you cannot fly but the rewards will funnel you into playing on them just. High Argus and Broken Shore. All while overinflating ilvl to where a squish will be needed before we know it.

There is a reason when I play the only parts of the current WoW I enjoy are M+ and Raids, it's the only part that still feels like the old game I enjoyed but even that is wearing thin with how many get burnt out on it.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Someone should edit a video of this with every Q&A, just a video of Alex laughing cut to Ion and Lore staring smugly and stupidly into the camera.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That’s the thing it is so formulaic and shitty. They have found this garbage way of doing things to make the game paint by numbers. That and the removal of content just to add it back over and over, flying as an example, do it our way and then get the quality of life improvement back then later we take it away again.

Add Flying then remove it, then add it, then remove it, then add it.
Brawlers guild then remove it, then add it, then remove it, then add it.
Class abilities added, then removed, then added, then removed.

I mean think of this expac. what do we know. They will add over the next year 2 maybe 3 raids, 2-3 dungeons, some catch up mechanics that 100% negate any effort put into the game prior. They will add 1-2 new zones in which you cannot fly but the rewards will funnel you into playing on them just. High Argus and Broken Shore. All while overinflating ilvl to where a squish will be needed before we know it.

There is a reason when I play the only parts of the current WoW I enjoy are M+ and Raids, it's the only part that still feels like the old game I enjoyed but even that is wearing thin with how many get burnt out on it.

I think the problem is Ion is a highly analytic person. Hell, he seems wayyy more suited to be an engineer. (Trad - mechanical, chemical, etc) Now he’s the ideas guy and has been for two to three expac. It doesn’t work with his mind. They need a new ideas guy. Ion clearly can design raids - the most analytical of processes outside class balance. The problem is fitting everything to a rigid structure - almost an equation each time makes it fucking so goddamn predictable.

• 1Like

taimaishoo

Golden Knight of the Realm
I don't think naxx was a disaster, but I was far, far too easy
Except 25 man immortal. That shit was complete aids (especially the boss where you dropped from the tunnel, I think there was some kind of D/C bug there that would fuck the run). Obviously this wasnt because the bosses were hard though.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I think the problem is Ion is a highly analytic person. Hell, he seems wayyy more suited to be an engineer. (Trad - mechanical, chemical, etc) Now he’s the ideas guy and has been for two to three expac. It doesn’t work with his mind. They need a new ideas guy. Ion clearly can design raids - the most analytical of processes outside class balance. The problem is fitting everything to a rigid structure - almost an equation each time makes it fucking so goddamn predictable.

WoW's been bleeding subs since Cata, when they killed off the social element of the game with cross realm instances, guild perks (destroying entry-level (social) guilds), raid finder, etc.

Most people don't care about gear or item levels / sets for their own sake. Those carrots only matter if you can show them off to your friends and gain status in the community. They reflect the utility that you can bring to your guild.

WoW designers have done everything they could for ten years to remove barriers that forced community interaction. Removing those barriers made the game easier to play, easier to experience, easier to get bored with.

I spent a little over a decade as an MMO addict in EQ and WoW, playing 6+ hours a day with long gaming sessions on weekends that lasted as long as I needed to keep playing. Was it for loot? Nah. It was for my friends.

I still remember spending three months of my summer vacation sitting at a computer 16 hours a day, in the same zone, sitting on the side of a fucking mountain not playing the game, and having my brother play the other 8 hours a day just in case someone sent me a tell and I didn't respond in time to keep my spot in line. All for some stupid MMO item. The item looked like a limp dildo, it's stats were shit, and I never replaced that item before I quit the game 4 expansions later. What was the item? The Everquest 1.0 Cleric epic.

My entire guild woke up at 4 am to kill that fucking dragon, and we wiped. So I had to do it all over again. When it was time to turn in the final quest, everyone in my guild was there to see it.

WoW is in a death spiral, and the Devs are unwilling or incapable of recognizing the cause. They're selling a single player game when what made WoW popular were the MMO barriers they destroyed.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

They had to do cross realm instances, though, without doing blatant server merges. FFXIV does the same thing. Honestly it is a good solution for making sure low population servers remain somewhat viable by letting them cluster together for the purposes of doing activities like raids, dungeons, etc.

Sure, you lose a bit of the "server community" aspect, but you know what really kills a server community? People getting frustrated that they can't find groups and quitting the game/server transferring as a solution, resulting in an actual dead server community because it is a ghost town.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They needed server merges years ago. Blizzard just doesn't want the bad press that would come from it. That's the only reason it doesn't happen, cowardice.

I have toons stuck on low pop servers (they were high pop years ago) and their cross realm tech sucks. Not paying them to server transfer, even at discounted prices. If I loved the game, then maybe. But I've always been casual with WoW and their shitty policies don't like casuals.

Cybsled

They needed server merges years ago. Blizzard just doesn't want the bad press that would come from it. That's the only reason it doesn't happen, cowardice.

It is smart, because server merges translates as "DED GAEM" to the community. You risk bleeding even more subs as a result, even if current content is in a good place.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Diablo immortal Diablo immortal (21 images)

ytLVzSP.jpg

TaQ9z4M.jpg

NuFppvB.jpg

VtV3pH7.jpg

XX2SsiV.jpg

• 3Worf

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I keep forgetting about old raids. Which ones are good at 120? I did a BFA emissary the other day and got 0 gold...and I'm down to 30k total.

The best gold per time spent is probably Firelands. You'll get about 1700 gold total. Next I would try LFR Thrones of Thunder.