World's End

Troll_sl

shitlord
I am so excited to see this tonight. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are up there in my top 10. Everything I'm hearing is that this is right up there with them.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm surprised I'm not seeing more chatter about the ending. It's so out of left field (and arguably contradictory to the ending we got minutes before), it almost does seem like a homage to
AI
of all things.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not sure what to think about the ending, could you explain more what surprised you?

MartyrDumb_sl

shitlord
Went and saw it the other night. Not as good as Shaun I felt, but about on par with Hot Fuzz. The King character was well done. Hell I'd watch a sequel if they made one.

Feien

Ploppers
The First Post: The First Pub
The Old Familiar: Exactly like the previous Pub
The Famous Cock: King is the Famous Cock who was banned from the pub
The Cross Hands: Where they all finally come together following King
The Good Companions: The banner is 4 sad faces, one is happy implying King is enjoying this.
The Trusty Servant: The reverend is a servant of the network and the blanks
The Two Headed Dog: The fight against the twins
The Mermaid: The banner is a red headed mermaid and two blonde mermaids
The Beehive: Where hell breaks loose and are swarmed by blanks
The King's Head: We get a glimpse into the mind of Gary King
The Hole in the Wall: The car drives through the wall of the pub
The World's End: Where the World as we know it ends.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I noticed some of the symbolism but didn't really think about it encompassing all the bars, pretty cool.

Lina_sl

shitlord
This was just too awesome and I think by the time the ending came, I could not really nitpick it.

Then again, yeah, I had a huge bias going in, so take this post with a pound of salt.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The trailer is making me want to play Borderlands 2.

Haven't seen the movie, but glad to see Simon Pegg's comedic talents put to better use than they were in Star Trek and Mission Impossible.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Totally didn't catch the bar names thing, except the 5 companions, which was probably obvious.

I was a little let down, but only because I had such high expectations. I was a pretty solid movie. I thought the pacing was a bit off, especially the first hour, with a lot of edits that could have been made. Another thing that bothered me a little was the fact that the Blanks were a non threat.
The characters would act afraid of them, but when it came down to it, could easily dispatch 30-50 of them without a single injury. This is directly followed by a scene where King is trying to escape, and he see's 3 in an alley and turns tail, while later runs full force into a crowd of them, punching his way to victory. Just seemed to go both ways a lot, and I thought that could have been handled better. I was also annoyed by the scene where all of the sudden a ton of blanks just all step out from behind tree's and have the one char surrounded, but completely ignore the other chars. Where did they come from?

Like I said, I really had to nitpick, and I do think it was a very solid movie, but it's not in the caliber of Shaun in my opinion. All that being said, I really loved the ending.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
/spoiler.
My bad, didn't think any of that was specific enough to be spoilered, but I suppose the tree's thing could come off as annoying. Sorry about that, I'll take my negs.

(Also, I edited in the spoiler, so you may want to cut the spoils out of your quote)

The local AMC had an event showing all three of the movies. Got plastered with a bunch of other fans, it was a good time. I'm really glad I didn't watch any previews or know anything about World's End though. The trailers would have fucked it up for me.

DMK_sl

shitlord
My bad, didn't think any of that was specific enough to be spoilered, but I suppose the tree's thing could come off as annoying. Sorry about that, I'll take my negs.

(Also, I edited in the spoiler, so you may want to cut the spoils out of your quote)
Thanks
smile.png
. I got spoiled a few weeks ago was pretty butt hurt :p

Lina_sl

shitlord
On a side note, there is an ok irish film mixing booze, comedy and alien attack called Grabbers:

Thanks for the recommendation.

This was very good.

I knew the dude from "Coupling" could not do much wrong going in, however and the premise was already more than good enough for me.

spronk

FPS noob
Not playing at a lot of theaters in my area, the top of the line theater with luxury seats and beer wasn't playing it at all which was weird. My wifes a huge Simon pegg fan (wtf i know) so we saw it, I've never seen Shaun of the Dead but I liked Hot fuzz and his alien movie last year. Thought this was ok, felt very very very British and veered a lot between melancholy and comedy. A lot of the fighting scenes felt a bit indulgent, like the actors were just recreating their favorite cheesy 80s action scenes. Decent movie but probably at the bottom of the list of the Pegg & fatguy movies I have seen.

I think I understand that King tried to commit suicide and is an alcoholic? Is that what the brief reveal of the gauze around his wrists meant? that part of the movie got really, really dark fast but didn't really go anywhere else with it. the whole end to me was just bizzaro weird, but I guess they wanted it that way.