X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
. . . whatever powers sounded cool, and 30-40 years later writers are coming in with more than elementary science knowledge and going "hey wait, do you realize what having this power REALLY will let you do?" You seriously have to allow for that.
True because with some creative thinking some very basic and simple seeming powers could be extremely lethal!

If for example you've got telekinesis, we could show the character can pick up and move a coffee cup . . . sure but if you think about it, if the character had the ability to focus their power on small targets then he/she could quickly constrict the blood vessels into the heart or brain of a target (or rip the blood vessels open) and that target will drop dead on the spot.

It just depends on how nasty you want the character to be.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You've pretty much just described Magneto. He was around for a LONG time before someone went, "hey wait, he can instagib people with the metals in their system!"

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
emma also said worthless sparkles jubilee was one of the most powerful mutants, every sparkle is a fusion bomb, imagine if she made it useful and directed into someones head, or just fusion bomb terrorists, but they depowered her and made her a vampire, so theres that now.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Iceman has spent FAR FAR FAR more time in publication shown as a mediocre power than what you currently see. And this has happened to a few mutants over time. People just made characters with whatever powers sounded cool, and 30-40 years later writers are coming in with more than elementary science knowledge and going "hey wait, do you realize what having this power REALLY will let you do?" You seriously have to allow for that.
You have a valid point and I agree but they seem to choose which mutant gets what approach. I mean come on, just because Hugh Jackman and the Wolverine compounded is a lot of coolness doesn't mean he gets to walk up to Dark Phoenix with insta regen and stab her. Then they make someone like Iceman look like a boy that didn't get asked to prom when, in my opinion, has always been depicted as a strong power in the comics but also depicted as a side character with little page time.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Don't mean to double post but doesn't Apocalypse consider Iceman one of the most powerful mutants? If my memory serves me, Iceman had several demonstrations of pretty incredible power in the 80's. Given his first appearance was what.. 1963? Nevertheless, Iceman deserves to be buffed.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
In Age of Apocalypse he was insanely powerful. He could teleport a group of people by evaporating everyone and put them back together elsewhere. He survived being completely exploded into tiny pieces by putting himself back together. And forget throwing snow/ice. He'll just freeze the moisture in your body and call it a day.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
In Age of Apocalypse he was insanely powerful. He could teleport a group of people by evaporating everyone and put them back together elsewhere. He survived being completely exploded into tiny pieces by putting himself back together. And forget throwing snow/ice. He'll just freeze the moisture in your body and call it a day.
That sounds all kinds of badass, seems he needs more love like how New 52 has Aquaman being a fuckin boss.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
His future self in the "normal" universe is able to create ice golems to fight for him. Actual bad ass ice constructs not frosty the snow men.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
It's kind of a pointless discussion. I mean its fun and all but... Oh no this thing is happening. Cut to Wanda saying "but what if it isn't?". Problem solved. Like two panels tops. Why doesn't Magneto just float around with a cloud of microscopic metal "fibers" for anyone with organs to inhale and then turn them into organ blenders. Why does Jean use her TK to deflect laser beams and throw crates when she could rip the flesh from a persons skeleton with a thought. Why doesn't iceman cool any opponent to absolute zero stopping the movement of their component atoms. Why doesn't Galactus just eat Jupiter, the fucking thing is way bigger. Why is Captain Britain(you know who I mean don't think that's his name) with power limited only by his confidence man the fuck up. You would think knowing you can be omnipotent would be a confidence booster and he wouldn't be such a whiny little pussy bitch. Why do all the cosmic begins and aliens who try to destroy earth land on earth. Bitch you're a deity, just explode the fucking place with your mind from another god damn galaxy. Or explode the sun. Hi my name is Thanos and this is the reality gem. Watch out bitch my friends and I are like really strong and stuff. Well I control reality and I'm super smart, so you're not strong anymore kthx. "Shit."

It's not criticism really. It just is what it is you either accept it or you don't.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I can answer the Galactus one: the planet has to be capable of supporting life. That's why he has heralds that go seek out planets for him to consume. If he could just eat any old planet he wouldn't have to move much at all.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This argument comes up time to time. It's an age old discussion. I think the best way I have heard it articulated is there is something down inside people with power that do not want the easy way. They want resistance and competition. They want people to rule and to see them be ruled. What's that saying in Gangs of New York? When you kill a king, you don't stab him in the dark but you do it for the whole court to see. Plus, it would make for a short lived comic series and ultimately limiting the amount of money to be made if someone snapped their fingers and everyone died.
smile.png

Just like when villains stall for time instead of just killing off the hero so they can escape.... it's just something we all have to live with... lol

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why is that?
in AOA xavier is dead. or rather legion(xaviers son) travels back in time to kill magneto (i think so his dad don't have to suffer all he's suffered) but ended up killing xavier (cuz he took the bullet for magneto or something). this now becomes AOA because it is at this time apocalypse decides to attack (and win).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They don't have to base the movie off of the Age of Apocalypse storyline, and I doubt they would because it would be pretty dumb. They'll just use Apocalypse as a generic major villain like he was in the 90s Xmen cartoon. I assume they're only naming the movie Age of Apocalypse because it's a catchy name, not because they plan to copy the comic storyline.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
There is (finally!) a good rip of this out btw.

And yeah, the Age of Apocalypse movie will share little in common with the comics other than the bare bones. I predict it to be laid out quite similarly to DOFP - we start in the future, except it's the shitty apocalypse-controlled version, one or a group of mutants go back to the 80's in order to convince/help the fledgling x-men to do whatever it is that will prevent Apocalypse from taking over, cut to JLaw's tits because who cares now that everyone has seen them, end credits, set up scene for X-Men uhhh 3?: Mr. Sinister's the villain this time.

Fox needs to hire me as their version of Kevin Feige.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Bryan Singer has now officially reached a deal with 20th Century Fox to direct the 2016 mutant superhero sequel X-Men: Apocalypse, which writer-producer Simon Kinberg is scripting from a story by Singer, Kinberg, Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris.

Production on the follow-up will get underway early next year, and the film will take place ten years after X-Men: Days of Future Past, with James McAvoy (Charles Xavier), Michael Fassbender (Magneto), Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique), Nicholas Hoult (Beast) and Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) all set to return to the cast alongside younger versions of Cyclops, Storm and Jean Grey. At this point, it is unclear whether Channing Tatum (22 Jump Street) will feature as Gambit, or if he will make his X-Men debut in a rumoured solo movie.

A lot more here:Los Angeles Times