XCOM 2

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Never found anything that extended the campaign but there have been 5 months of mods since I last played. For making the game more difficult I ran iess+ along with 'a better advent', apparently there is a new 'a better advent 2' out that is balanced around 6-8 man squads instead of 4-6.

Hmm, if you delve back into it, I wouldn't mind a list/screencap of the mods you're using. I have a serious mental block trying to deal with steam's workshop. Pining for an all-in-one Long War, I miss that shit.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm in the process of editing all my items to add Shielding instead of Health - realism mod, you could say.
I've altered all that have provided Shielding_Amount
but simply adding
+ITEMNAME_SHIELDING_AMOUNT
ITEMNAME_SHIELDING_AMOUNT=1
doesn't work.

In process of learning the 'language' - guidance welcomed.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
So this just happened:
The evac timer is at 2; evac zone is in yellow move distance. Only one ADVENT remaining (has 4 life)
All four of my guys miss, including shotgunner at point-blank.
ADVENT crits and kills my best guy.
Second best guy panics so misses evac.

Last edited:

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Expansions are on Steam sale.
Shen's Last Gift seems to be the only one worth it ($7)
But When+2 others are bundled for $14.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wat? Alien Hunters is good too. It got mixed reviews because a bunch of crybaby scrubs got their asses handed to them the first time they fought a ruler and didn't bother trying to learn from the experience. Anarchy's Children is super dumb though, just a bunch of retarded looking cosmetic garbage. The only stuff I found useful in there was spider mask I use as Zoidberg's face and one of the knight helms I use along with a tac mask for Bender.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Wat? Alien Hunters is good too. It got mixed reviews because a bunch of crybaby scrubs got their asses handed to them the first time they fought a ruler and didn't bother trying to learn from the experience. Anarchy's Children is super dumb though, just a bunch of retarded looking cosmetic garbage. The only stuff I found useful in there was spider mask I use as Zoidberg's face and one of the knight helms I use along with a tac mask for Bender.

Give me your Futurama troops!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Give me your Futurama troops!

I half-ass it really, I just get the hair right and then cover up the rest of the face with a tac mask and goggles or NVGs. Leela gets an eyepatch, Bender gets one of the ac knight helms along with a task mask so his head is relatively featureless, and there are a couple ac masks/helmets that work for Zoidberg.

Been looking at all the new mods and thinking about firing the game back up. Gotta figure out what exactly I want to do first though.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I half-ass it really, I just get the hair right and then cover up the rest of the face with a tac mask and goggles or NVGs. Leela gets an eyepatch, Bender gets one of the ac knight helms along with a task mask so his head is relatively featureless, and there are a couple ac masks/helmets that work for Zoidberg.

Been looking at all the new mods and thinking about firing the game back up. Gotta figure out what exactly I want to do first though.
RAGE Cyclops helm for Leela

Steam Workshop :: RAGE Helmet

Edit: Lara Croft body
Steam Workshop :: Lara Croft Squadmate

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Finally got this for Xmas. I know it's been echoed in this thread already, but I don't think I was fully prepared for the initial difficulty curve. The fact that they start throwing Codex at you only a few missions in is indicative of just how nasty Firaxis wants to be here. I was in an early enemy VIP removal mission getting ready to wrap things up. Squad was fully in position with only a Trooper and a Codex left. I kill the trooper and pop the Codex, which then clones itself. The clone teleports behind my squad, crit kills my sniper, which causes my grenadier to panic. The grenadier panic kills the VIP, hits the car the VIP was standing next to, which explodes and kills my ranger that was about to subdue the VIP. Brutal.

Everything just feels more dangerous, more stressful, more intense -- I love it. Status effects seem to be exponentially increased compared to Enemy Unknown, both in terms of frequency and intensity. Constantly getting panicked, poisoned, mind-controlled, stunned... definitely makes me spend a lot of time considering loadouts and squad composition.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You should not be getting Codices that early. Minor spoiler but I'll put it in tags since you just got the game.

When you complete the 'skulljack an advent captain' objective, it spawns your very first Codex, and it is not until after this story event that Codices are added to random mission spawns, unless you're running a mod that changes this.

*edit*

This is a lot more detailed, although somewhat spoilery since it shows every alien name in the game.

How does alien progression work in xcom2? • /r/Xcom

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well shit.

I researched, built and used the Jack immediately after the objective to do so popped, which was very early on. I think it was after only the 4th or 5th mission.

Guess I kinda fucked myself a bit there. No big -- the Codex definitely add a insane new dimension to combat that wasn't present in Enemy Unknown.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You don't need to spoil it, the game has been out almost a year. I was just spoiling it out of courtesy since you just got the game. Codices are the only unit whose spawn time you can affect like that, they are added to the leader pool at Force 7 (around 2.5 months) if you haven't skulljacked an officer by then.

I'm assuming you got digital deluxe since its only like 4 bucks more, in which case here's a heads up. Alien Hunters and Shen's Last Gift both have a narrative mission associated with them. Contrary to what the game implies there is no limited time window, you can save those missions as long as you want. Spoilery commentary about the two DLC packs and their affect on the campaign in tags.

Alien Hunters is extremely hard with conventional weapons and fairly easy with magnetic (tier 2) weapons, particularly if you know what to expect from the sectoid king. If you have the narrative mission turned on you get all 4 DLC weapons for free and alien rulers will not show up in your campaign until you complete the narrative mission. If you have the narrative mission turned off you must build each DLC weapon you want through the proving ground, and the alien rulers will start showing up at certain force levels.

Shen's Last Gift is challenging with magnetic weapons and practically impossible with conventional weapons due to the boss being
A FUCKING SECTOPOD JESUS CHRIST
. If you have the narrative mission turned on you get one of the new mech units for free upon completing the mission and gain the ability to build more at the proving ground. If you have the narrative mission turned off, there is a proving ground project that allows you to build mechs once completed.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Mod: <Black Ice Codex>
It's like a boss mob and fun challenge - that is until every pod has one or multiple ones, with sectopods.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks for spoil tags for DLC - despite four play throughs and countless hours, I still haven't done DLC (apart from free mods of course)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Have you tried A Better Advent? Really easy to get surprise buttsexed if you aren't paying careful attention to the different enemy types.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there a limit to the number of abilties a soldier may have?
My healer type had 14 skills, after obtaining revival protocol, she still has 14. Unfortunately she lost her medkit! (I have 3x charges of stabilize and 1 revive.)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there a limit to the number of abilties a soldier may have?
My healer type had 14 skills, after obtaining revival protocol, she still has 14. Unfortunately she lost her medkit! (I have 3x charges of stabilize and 1 revive.)

you have too many abilities for the UI to display, there should be a mod somewhere that fixes that for you.

• 1Like