XCOM Chimera Squad

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
first, how do you know she wasn't? and second, how do you know these characters are?
Because she isnt surrounded by a cast of characters of every color of the rainbow? Its painfully obvious when the diversity is forced because we know many examples, like Samus, when it is not.

you're attributing motive that suits your worldview, which is EXACTLY what you are railing against.

Anyone who has paid any attention to the SJW fiesta knows their work. The amorphic bodies, the hairstyles, a cast being of all shades and colors with no good background as to why. I am not attributing motive to suit my views, I am identifying the symptoms of SJWaids based on heuristics built up over years.

the problem that most of us have with "diversity" is that it focuses on superficial aspects. the reason why people get upset about things like all girl ghostbusters ISN'T because it's a good movie that features women as main characters. it's because the characters are cheap, flimsy and stand on the shoulders of brilliance while trying to take the credit. when we saw idris elba was portraying a NORSE god, we chuckled and scratched our heads, but that dude is an amazing actor and he owned that role.

A lot of people dont dislike girlbusters because it was a terrible reboot. A lot of people dislike it because we were told that its amazing because it has females in it, not because it had a story or characters or anything else. It was all "OMG THIS IS AWESOME BECAUSE VAGINAS!!1111". How the movie turned out in the end has nothing to do with how trash the marketing and the noise on social media was over how progressive the movie was.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They also released the tactical legacy pack for free for XCom 2 owners when it first came out. I guess it was complete garbage!

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
honestly, samus is a bad example because she has no character, the same way doomguy has no character. the only interactions samus has is shooting aliens. there's no other cast. part of the "joke" with samus' reveal as a female is why would it matter? she has no dialogue, other than maybe a line of text? honestly i can't remember... but she could have been an android, an alien, etc.

the "amorphic bodies and hairstyles" is an art choice, and while there ARE plenty of times it is used specifically to desexualize characters, i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. i'm not necessarily talking about the active choice to make ugly characters in certain games or whatever. i think God of War 2018 is a great example of doing that right, and for the right reasons. in previous iterations freya would have been portrayed very differently.

a cast being of all shades and colors with no good background as to why.

personally, i have NO problem with a diverse cast if it makes sense for the source material. when clint eastwood was making that war movie and people were like "why aren't there any black people in your movie!" he had the best response... "because this movie is historically accurate." Aliens on the other hand... the marines were fairly diverse and not a single person had a problem with it. there was no explanation to why the team had a black guy, why the team had a latino female (who may or may not have been a lesbian). and there SHOULDN'T have been, because it had NOTHING to do with the story itself. as the audience, all we needed to know is that these are colonial marines and they are all badasses.

i WILL admit that a HUGE focus on the PR for girlbusters and girl oceans 11 etc was the "girl" part. but that's basically what i already said just in different terms. we don't LIKE the SJW stuff because it's incredibly superficial. we could all tell from the trailers that the characters were paper thin because ALL they focused on was that they were girls. when was the last time you saw a movie trailer that described the male characters solely by their gender? it was exceedingly easy to tell how terrible the movie was going to be based on "it's like this other movie you saw... BUT WITH WOMEN"

but that's what brings us back to the trailer for this game. i'll admit i don't really like the art style at all. i don't think it matches xcom, which makes me worried about the overall tone of the game. but the trailer itself didn't focus at all on "this girl is a girl. also she's black. this is going to be a great story because the character is black and identifies as female"

it'd be like saying the last of us was SJW because one of the main characters is female. sometimes character's race, gender, sexual preference can be plot points WITHOUT being socio-political commentary

• 1Pants on Fire!
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not to mention every single Firaxcom trailer (and game) so far has prominently featured female characters. The only real difference here is that Jon Bailey isn't narrating the whole thing for once.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Youngblood’s issue wasn’t that it had two (three) female leads. It’s issue is the game wasn’t that great. Bullet sponge enemies, 1980s looks same as 1960s, the characters themselves were like Beavis and Butthead but not in a good way.

This game looks like an Xcom2 mod, which is fine if it has some depth and honestly I’d like to see some post xcom2 lore if done well and combined with some fun gameplay.

Having two jackwagon sisters high diving each other like woke lunatics was a detriment to the game however. Speaking outside the terms of gameplay here however.

Also, Sarah Connor in T1 was completely helpless. That didn’t change until the sequel but is a good example of strong character building.

Cybsled

I just think it’s pants on head glue eating that trailer launches and this forum’s usual suspects start foaming at the mouth like that insane preacher who thought the teletubbies were secret gay propaganda.

• 1Salty

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just think it’s pants on head glue eating that trailer launches and this forum’s usual suspects start foaming at the mouth like that insane preacher who thought the teletubbies were secret gay propaganda.

Ermm... they weren't?

Fuck.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I just have no interest in playing X:Com: Five-O man.

The streets are mean. But criminal aliens are meaner doesn't really have the same appeal of prevent global extermination of viva la resistance

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Cybsled

Sure it is

CoMaNdEr, we need you to approve these infrastructure expenses. Accounting will know we’re coming, so you’ll need to select the proper paperwork.

• 2Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's a side game meant to tide us over/keep the IP exposed until whatever form XCom 3 is going to take is ready.

• 2Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Youngblood’s issue wasn’t that it had two (three) female leads. It’s issue is the game wasn’t that great. Bullet sponge enemies, 1980s looks same as 1960s, the characters themselves were like Beavis and Butthead but not in a good way.

This game looks like an Xcom2 mod, which is fine if it has some depth and honestly I’d like to see some post xcom2 lore if done well and combined with some fun gameplay.

Yeah, and the issue is there is a huge correlation between companies who become obsessed with this ideology, and terrible products. Because they tend to promote their ideology over everything else. So they get incompetent people who "think the right way" (Rather than talented people who might 'bad think'), and then they make their games an internal mess by having the characters or even mechanics of the game itself beholden to the ideology. Being too deep in any ideology is just typically a way to get really shitty art--art is correlated with openness for a reason, and ideologies are by definition ridged systems. (Its why I'd be just as leery buying a game from some game studio that promoted Christian fundamentalism.)

I'll always point now to The Watchmen to illustrate how even the hardcore SJW haters on this forum can enjoy a project steeped in social justice if its good. The main issue is that a lot of this forum has correlated social justice with dogshit products, because everywhere that diversity bullshit infects, the production value usually plummets and the social justice shit is used as a pretext to defend the bad product against criticism. "Oh you don't like my shallow, one dimensional characters and shitty game mechanics? Must be because the brave, and amazing people of color/women/trans I had in it upset your bigotted ass"! Can you really blame people for being gun shy about this shit when they've gone through a decade of terrible IPs, or beloved IPs being ruined by hacks who then use these lines to disregard criticism? I sure can't.

That said, this game looks pretty meh. Its Xcom Apocalypse, essentially. Looks like a mobile game or a mod, as you said

• 2Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
This whole Samus argument is retarded. There was no wokeness involved. How do I know? She got nekked if you beat the game fast enough.

1586986086451.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's 50% off ($9.99) for everyone until May 1.

Sounds like a no-brainer at that price:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Beaglerush (and some others) got it unlocked early. Definitely feels like a mini-Apocalypse, if you're any kind of XCom fan you'd be retarded not to pick this up for 10 bucks.

• 2Like