You know you're getting old when.....

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
My house was wired with cat5 rather than phone lines and the "phone" ports just use one pair out of the cable. The others are just hanging there. I took all those out and replaced them with the network ports they should have been. Wonder if the builder "saved money" by putting in cat 5?

Hilarious, but saved me thousands of dollars in cable pulls..
Saved money and it's easier. In my case, the PM's before me were having someone estimate the needed internet port cable and phone cable separate and buying cat5/6 & 3. When I took over I wondered what the cost difference was. Also , if you buy all one type cable, you're not paying labor to keep up with 2 items. That's why I was checking, to see if it was worth the cost increase. Imagine my surprise when when I realized Cat5 was cheaper. Good ol' "I just did what the boss tell me'. Guess that's why I took their job?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

SeanDoe1z1

I do a variety of enterprise projects.

I probably use 5e in (edit: meh, it’s more like 50%) of my applications. I’m not a good rep but 5e has a place in a lot. I prefer it where it’s due, much more use to it and less prone to mistakes when making. A dumb reason. Okay

honestly usually only military bases have 6 everywhere for no reason and those are generally no-idea-what-they’re doing type thing

With that said, I would not want my new house to be anything less than 6.

It’s actually funny a lot of things I have been doing lately is forcing 100mb links because auto negotiate has been causing quite a headache lately.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Damn! What's your social security number? 12?
Back in the day.... we just used the number of corns on your feet to know when you qualified for retirement. As was in fashion at the time....

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Back in the day.... we just used the number of corns on your feet to know when you qualified for retirement. As was in fashion at the time....

Sad Tb GIF by Hide The Pain Harold

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

does anyone else remember when Wendy's had bead curtains. they also had mostly booths made of wood with lights hanging over the table.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
does anyone else remember when Wendy's had bead curtains. they also had mostly booths made of wood with lights hanging over the table.
At one point I regularly walked to the Wendy's near my work to have lunch multiple times a week because I could sit in that sunroom/solarium area they all had in the sun to eat, while also being in air conditioning because.. well... Texas.

• 1Solidarity

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

My takeaway from that was "Remember when they used pictures of the actual food in advertisements instead of sculptures?"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I just remember eating the big chili out out of a special Wendy bowl. I miss that.
You sick fuck.

Also, almost typed the above into a teams meeting chat at work with 188 people from all across my division.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Goatface

old friend worked at wendys while in high school, only thing he would say about it, never eat the chili

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
old friend worked at wendys while in high school, only thing he would say about it, never eat the chili
I feel like that’s most fast food places. Maybe In N Out is better, with the higher pay and what seems like a generally really well run operation? I know they used to pay really well, no idea how they compare now🤷

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I had been delivery driver for a local Domino's Pizza. I tell people that all is good with the food there. About the closest thing to having an issue was when they build line had a supreme pizza to make, they'd use that as an opportunity to do a quick scoop up of the misc bits and toppings that had ended up on the bench top. Put it all on the supreme, but I didn't think that was too bad as the stuff had been there all of several minutes at most.

My 'know you're getting old' story was on the weekend, on facebook or something a picture was put up of my younger sister. She has quite a pale grey flick of hair at the top of her fringe now, and in the picture she's using one of those rectangular magnifying glasses to read from a book. She's like 51 now but looked damned old.

• 1Solidarity

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I delivered for Round Table during my senior year and the following summer before I went into the military. I grew up in a shit hole town, so working at Round Table was considered a premo gig with benefits. You got all the "free" pizza and beer you could consume. You would make a shit ton of loot between tips and pocketing cash for pizzas. Then on top of all that just about every chick working there was a dingy pothead that was down to fuck.

Most nights before locking up we would make some wild ass pizzas, turn on the juke box, pour some Coors Light and rack up a shit ton of free credits on Street Fighter II. Eventually the party would move to someones shitty little apartment where the smell of pizza, booze and pot permeated the air.

The entire staff was in on the shenanigans from the manager down to the morning dough boy.

God damn that was a good year.
14c27df54eefff0c234fbc36aa97ddcb.jpg

And that's how I know I'm getting old.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Got a question. Not too long ago I discovered that when I'm having trouble reading fine print, shining a bright light on it is at least as good (maybe slightly better) than using a magnifying glass. Is that a normal condition? Doesn't seem normal and I've never heard anyone else talk about it.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Got a question. Not too long ago I discovered that when I'm having trouble reading fine print, shining a bright light on it is at least as good (maybe slightly better) than using a magnifying glass. Is that a normal condition? Doesn't seem normal and I've never heard anyone else talk about it.
In my experience with my father, you tend to lose the ability to read in low light earlier than needing reading glasses. He's used his phone flashlight longer than the combination of both

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 3 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
An eye doctor told me the same thing and it checks out. It gets harder to read in low-contrast environments and a flashlight, increasing phone brightness, etc helps.

• 1Solidarity