Your Own Photography

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The pics are cool, but if I saw pictures like that on a craigslist used car post I think it would make me suspicious.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The pics are cool, but if I saw pictures like that on a craigslist used car post I think it would make me suspicious.
^^^

Gear talk time, ok well not really but whatever. Got my first prime and now I am going to start taking this shiz more srsly.

1. What kind of hard drive do you guys prefer to archive your photos? Regular old esata drive in an enclosure or USB 3 drive? Does it matter?
2. Portable storage. Have my eye on of those lacie drives with the super bright orange rubber thingies. Any favorites?

Feien

Ploppers
^^^

Gear talk time, ok well not really but whatever. Got my first prime and now I am going to start taking this shiz more srsly.

1. What kind of hard drive do you guys prefer to archive your photos? Regular old esata drive in an enclosure or USB 3 drive? Does it matter?
2. Portable storage. Have my eye on of those lacie drives with the super bright orange rubber thingies. Any favorites?
For my main drive I'm using a big raid, but that is overkill unless you are ingesting terabytes of data. What I'm in love with right now for all my field work are G-tech's EV series. (External Hard Drives & RAIDs for Professionals | G-Technology).They just came out with rugged casings similar to the lacie drives. They are pricier, but G-techs customer is WAY better than Lacie's.

Drek, great job with those Jeep pics.

Here's a photo I took yesterday.

rrr_img_90473.jpg

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Hah yeah, they look like Jeep paid someone $$$$$$$$ to make awesome looking stock photos. Would insist on meeting buyer in Police Station Lobby (That's a thing here in VA).

Drek_sl

shitlord
Hah yeah, they look like Jeep paid someone $$$$$$$$ to make awesome looking stock photos. Would insist on meeting buyer in Police Station Lobby (That's a thing here in VA).
redface.png

I thought about this when I was doing the shoot so I made sure to get detailed shots of the jeep! Tires, gauges, hinges, under wheel wells, etc...

Took some shots of Montreal (not completely happy with them...)

16366754850_8b73cbeea5_b.jpg

16366534088_d0fd8ecc7c_b.jpg

16528198256_362a75f16f_b.jpg

16367909789_fbab8bb65f_b.jpg

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Not sure if this is the right place since it's not a photo, but i did make it myself!

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Nice! I keep getting the itch to get a Phantom drone (or similar caliber), as I take a lot of home videos as is, and it'd be a neat toy. Nice vid!

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Made it up to the UP during the winter finally. Going to try and go to the Porkies tomorrow and get some shots of Lake of the Clouds to complete the set of photos I had posted in this thread prior. Spent a bit outside messing with long exposures and the stars. Wish I had more time to play around but there were some very large what looked to be cougar/puma tracks in the back yard of the place we're staying at so I didn't want to press my luck :p Getting Puma'd isn't on my list of things to do while on vacation.

Edit: One more

Ymzwh39h.jpg

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got dicked by both scenic sites today. The road that leads to Lake of the Clouds was closed 7 miles away to only snowmobiles so we couldn't go up there. Wanted to check out Bond Falls as well but they didn't even bother plowing the area so it was closed. The sky was kind enough to clear up for me again. Photo of the place we are staying at:

https://www.rererolled.org/posts/14750/

woot!

Trakanon Raider
a really interesting article in NY Times about Peter Lik (guy who sold the most expensive photography : 6.5 Million, and he supposedly made something like 440 Million from selling landscape photos) :
It's well worth the read, but if tldr, here is a quick summary : The guy is a saleseman (very full of himself) and is a genius in the way he is exploiting pricing (it's pretty much a ponzi-schemer's dream come true). He has his own galleries, where he sells his pictures. It's not art, there is no creativity, it's just pretty landscape photography like a lot of people do every day.
I am not saying the pics are bad, most pictures are quite nice ; but what is crazy is the pricing. And what is even more crazy is that people pay the prices he asks !
He prints huge batches (about 1000 copies per pic, and yes that is huge), sells the first few for 4000, and the price goes up as they sell them (rarity man !), to reach about 200000 for the last ones. Fascinating.

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here is an image of Sandia Mnt. as seen from the Bosque here in Albuquerque, NM. It's a 5 frame of handheld portraits stitched together in LR6. First time I tried a pano and it was actually fun watching it come together. D800E frames are 36megs each x 5 for this image. Lots of pixels.

rrr_img_104622.jpg

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've always wanted to see the auroras. Think they would be way cool to see. I live too far south to see them currently.