2013 NFL Offseason and Draft

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whats the best prediction for Steelers and ravens this year?

Fighting tooth and nail to stay above .500?
Steelers are a lock to win the Super Bowl. No reason to even play the season, it's ordained by God. They've won every single(both) Super Bowl that happened when a new pope was elected. Feel free to start sending me and Genj your congratulations.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I see an argument both ways. They are always taught to get lower than the other guy, and to do that the head has to come down.

On the other hand you are fining and penalizing defenders for grazing helmet to helmet and a lot of the times these RBs are not just getting low, they're using the helmet as a weapon just like those mean old linebackers.

The only "fair" way to separate the two would be with judgment calls and replays and no one wants more of that shit. So the proposed change has to go.

Along with the defenseless receiver rule because that is bullshit.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Surprisingly, we are apparently very interested in Dumervil. I would have guessed his price tag would be too high, IDK.

I think if the Texans deal was acceptable to Reed he wouldn't have left Houston without a contract signed, so who knows where he'll go. Yeah he's well past his prime but I can't help but want to see him finish off his career having only played for Baltimore.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I have to agree with Grim:

If you're penalizing defenders for leading with a helmet (or even touching a QB's helmet), you have to do the same for offensive players - although how RBs, etc. would play under those rules will be different.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, I don't think they should do it=P I just see the argument. I'm not in favor of anything adding more judgment calls to the game.

Also heard they were talking about getting rid of the retarded tuck rule.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
McLovin on the Dan Patrick show actually had a nice take on this last week. When doing his FA winners/losers he declared any team taking Ravens/Steelers players are losers. Two teams who draft/get guys that fit perfectly in their systems and don't particularly work well in other ones. Mostly in reference to defensive guys. Might have included the Patriots on the list of teams not to take guys from too.
I heard that segment too. Its pretty sad that a fucking Dannette seems like the only person in the national sports media who is level headed about free agency.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
No, I don't think they should do it=P I just see the argument. I'm not in favor of anything adding more judgment calls to the game.

Also heard they were talking about getting rid of the retarded tuck rule.
I don't think delivering a forcible blow with the crown of the helmet is a very tough judgement call to make. The rule to me is reasonable, just provides that protection to all players outside the tackle box rather than just a defenseless receiver and the quarterback.

Owner meetings start tomorrow, I'd think most of the rules have a pretty good chance of passing:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bylaw-changes/

Proposed rule changes

1. A play that would have been automatically reviewed by instant replay will still be reviewed even if a coach throws his challenge flag. Any coach who challenges a play that he's not permitted to challenge would be charged a timeout, and wouldn't get his timeout back even if he wins the challenge, or would lose 15 yards if his team is out of timeouts. But the play itself will still be reviewed. Call this the Jim Schwartz Rule. The league will also consider reviewing incomplete passes that are ruled a fumble all the way through the fumble - if a play is ruled on the field to be incomplete and overturned on replay as a fumble, the replay can consider everything that happens after that fumble.

2. Player safety: On field goals and extra points, restrictions are added to what rush teams can do. No more than six defensive players would be permitted to align on either side of the snapper, defensive players can't push their teammates across the line, and the long snapper is considered a defenseless player.

3. Eliminate the tuck rule.

4. Allow tight ends and H-backs to wear 40-49.

5. Player safety: Offensive players will not be allowed to block low when going toward their own end lines in the tackle box. Can't go low when peeling back anywhere on the field.

6. Player safety: Initiating contact with the crown of the helmet is a foul if the runner or tackler delivers a forceable blow against his opponent when both players are outside the tackle box.

Proposed bylaw changes

1. The waiver period will be such that a team that claims a player only needs to keep him for one day, not two days.

2. Adjust the physically unable to perform status to allow players on PUP to practice for any three-week period from Week Six through Week 11.

3. Move the final roster cutdown date one day earlier.

New points of emphasis

1. Mandatory thigh and knee pads. This isn't a new rule but the officials will start actively enforcing the rule, rather than just urging players to wear the pads as they did last year. A player who refuses to comply with the rule won't be allowed on the field.

2. Fields must be maintained up to NFL standards, and the league can require clubs to maintain their fields up to the league's high standards, at the club's expense.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
They need to add a new rule as well: Players must use a belt so that the entire NFL fanbase isn't forced to look at your ass crack every time you are tackled. I'm talking about DeMarco Murray and Dez Bryant, dear lord that shit makes me want to hate my own team.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So how did Greg Jennings manage to trick the Vikings into giving him a 5 year, $48M contract?

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
So how did Greg Jennings manage to trick the Vikings into giving him a 5 year, $48M contract?
"Your WR depth chart consists of Jerome Simpson, until his next inevitable drug trafficking arrest. Mike Wallace, the only real #1 WR signed this offseason, got $12 mil/year."

Given the money crunch the Packers have coming (Rodgers, Matthews, probably keeping Raji), I'm actually glad we didn't burn that much on keeping him.