2013 NFL Season

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Percy Harvin starting training camp on the PUP list with a hip issue. Getting second opinion on it, possible slight tear in his labrum. Too early to say "I told you so" to all the Seachicken fans who emphatically proclaimed he wasn't injury-prone?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Percy Harvin starting training camp on the PUP list with a hip issue. Getting second opinion on it, possible slight tear in his labrum. Too early to say "I told you so" to all the Seachicken fans who emphatically proclaimed he wasn't injury-prone?
All one of us who never posted about him being injury prone? I mean maybe I missed someone but I feel like I am the only Seahawks fan on the board.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I think there are a couple others.

Harvin lost my respect when he said he didn't want to play because he had a stomach ache. Not cramps, not throwing up...he just had an upset tummy.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I meant all my IRL friends (I live up in Seahawks country).
Ah okay. I was cautiously excited about the pick up. I mean there is a reason NONE of the coaches in Minnesota wanted to keep him. Which always scares me, but our staff has handled players with issues in the past so I thought it might be okay.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Geez, $59M guaranteed? I feel like the Falcons FO is doing it wrong.

Manning - $58M guaranteed
Flacco - $52M guaranteed
Brady - $57M guaranteed (this is after his restructure this year to increase his guaranteed amount)
Vick - $35.5M guaranteed
Bradford - $53M guaranteed
Brees - $40M guaranteed
Romo - $40M guaranteed

I guess 1 playoff win is worth making him the legitimate highest paid QB in the league?

Edit: Left off Championship belt by accident.

Apparently his guaranteed money is $62.5M. So the Falcons made him the 2nd highest paid guy. For 1 playoff win. Notice the similarity in everyone but Bradford there? It's a Championship winning QB making $50M+ in guaranteed money.

Also, these numbers may be slightly off as there are several types of "guaranteed" money. I tried to find the numbers of what they'll actually get though. And guaranteed money is more important than those retarded $100M+ numbers, since no one ever sees their entire contract value.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's young and good and every team is fucking terrified of having to find a new QB when they already have a franchise guy.

With all these franchise guys signing new deals over the last 2 seasons it's turned in to the 1st draft pick situation, where each progressive one seems to have to be a little more than the last.

edit: To be clear, it's not like he's getting paid because he won a playoff game=P Silly take away from it. He's getting paid for future performance and so they don't have to rebuild around a new QB while they have a team built to win right now.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's like, I understand that's how QB contracts have been going, and you feel like you need to lock up your guy. And I think Ryan is a decent QB. But really, the Falcons could've offered him way less and if he balked at it, ride out that rookie contract for another year and reevaluate. If he still doesn't want to sign, grab someone else who can just toss it up to White and Jones. They may not be as good at it as Ryan, but Ryan's not exactly winning them anything.

Basically, the timing on this seems awful to me. You try to sign a guy when he's going to cost you the least. Going to the NFC Championship game is probably going to be the pinnacle for Ryan. So right now is when he's going to cost the absolute most. If they won a Super Bowl this season, obviously that'd be when he costs the most...and that's when you throw this type of contract at him. You know, the same type that Flacco just got.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
edit: To be clear, it's not like he's getting paid because he won a playoff game=P Silly take away from it. He's getting paid for future performance and so they don't have to rebuild around a new QB while they have a team built to win right now.
I absolutely get that. I wasn't trying to imply that. Just that past performance is a good indicator of future performance. What if the Falcons go 4-4 in the first half of the season? This contract will look awfully retarded. They could've locked him up for much less. If they go 8-0 in the first half, this contract makes a lot of sense. So you're basically paying him early...for what? They could have waited andpossiblyhad him for cheaper. There was no reason to rush, I guess is what I'm getting at. Unless he was willing to sign on the cheap.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
He's young and good and every team is fucking terrified of having to find a new QB when they already have a franchise guy.

With all these franchise guys signing new deals over the last 2 seasons it's turned in to the 1st draft pick situation, where each progressive one seems to have to be a little more than the last.

Well of course that's not what he got paid for. But I feel like it is at least a bit indicative of his potential future performance.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I wonder how much Flacco has scared teams away from the "play out the contract and try after the year" strategy.
That's what doesn't make sense though. They gave him a contract essentially on par with Flacco (slightly more). If they're scared that that strategy will backfire on them...they end up with the contract they just gave him. Oh, and an extra year on his rookie contract.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's what doesn't make sense though. They gave him a contract essentially on par with Flacco (slightly more). If they're scared that that strategy will backfire on them...they end up with the contract they just gave him. Oh, and an extra year on his rookie contract.
Yeah but if he performed well, or God forbid won a Super Bowl, the numbers would have inflated more and they'd HAVE to sign him.

Keep in mind only one NFL player has ever actually made over 70m off one of these 100m contracts. They're looking at the guaranteed money like we are, not the big flashy possible number. So they probably view it as a case of rolling the dice now on $59mil or basically being forced to pay more. Though I guess there's no one really big that should force inflated numbers between now and next offseason so it wouldn't balloon wildly. Eli/Benshouldn'tbe having serious discussions by then and I think they're next on the list.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Yep. Stupid move by the Falcons (but as a Bucs fan, anything that hurts them is great!). They should have taken the Flacco-gamble; basically there's a few outcomes if they did:

1) He doesn't win the Superbowl. Now you can make a contract less than Flacco and be ok with it.
2) He doesn't win the Superbowl, they franchise tag him and wait out another year to see if he does.
3) He wins the Superbowl. Good for the Falcons and their fans, and Ryan now gets a contract more than Flacco.

Really, part of the problem was that Flacco had to go out and PLAY for his contract, which he did. While some folks say the Ravens lost in that situation, I see it as being mutually beneficial. Here however, as people have mentioned, Ryan has gotten 1 playoff win on his belt, with a team that is way more stacked on offense than the Ravens (Many would argue the Falcons have the best receiving/TE corps in the NFL) and yet he couldn't get it done this last season.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Strikes me as extremely dumb.

Theworstcase for making him play out the year is a Flacco situation - but they just gave him Flacco money anyway!

(Note: I think the Falcons' championship window is closing - and a bunch of money tied to Ryan won't help matters.)

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Basically, the timing on this seems awful to me. You try to sign a guy when he's going to cost you the least.
Actually the timing is pretty good. They are expecting to salary cap to expand starting next year and you also have players like Wilson, Kaep, RG3, Luck, Newton who will all be coming into their windows where extensions can be negotiated in the next couple of years. Those things are all going to drive up QB salaries. Better to sign him now to $20 mil a year than wait for the cap to expand and have some of these young QB's drive the price up to $25+ mil a year starting next year.

It might look steep now, but starting next year both relative to the cap as well as some of the deals these young guys are going to command, he will actually be playing at a discount (for franchise QB's).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If contracts keep going up, that's going to be insane. And also, you mention playing at a discount...but apparently Eli's deal is up in 2015. He signed one of those first mega contracts ($106 million). So are they just going to sign him to another $100+ million contract? Essentially it looks like he's going to see the bulk of his contract unless they do a new deal in the next year (I think he's probably looking at maybe missing out on $20M for the last year of it).

I was reading something about all these huge contracts and they were talking about the Mannings, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Flacco, etc. They all got their huge payoutsafterthey had won a Super Bowl. These newest ones, (note: Rodgers was 2013, but he's possibly the best QB in the NFL right now) to Stafford, Romo, Ryan, are all QB's who have awesome stats, and middling success.

So I mean, it's great to have a franchise QB that you're paying that money to, but if there isn't any success to go with it, why are you giving them the contract? Just for their awesome stats? This isn't fantasy football. The thing that bothers me the most about Ryan's deal compared with Romo and Stafford is that his teams have been fucking stacked. I mean, a first ballot HoF TE and two of the best receivers in the game. And a single playoff win in 4 years.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I'm worried about Eli's contract personally because it means we're going to lose Nicks or JPP, unless the cap jumps dramatically. I was hoping they'd sign him to an extension like Brady's either this year or next, mainly to retain Nicks.

QBs fucking up everything!