2013 NFL Season

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Well, I guess I can't mock Dallas too much after all. Harbaugh cancelled practice today and took the team to Gettysburg for a lesson in civil war history....
Well at least geometry is football related, can't take bad angles! What does the civil war have to do with football?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, I guess I can't mock Dallas too much after all. Harbaugh cancelled practice today and took the team to Gettysburg for a lesson in civil war history....
First time at camp for a lot of the new guys, gotta give them the speech.

rememberthetitansgettysburg.JPG

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I heard Trent Dilfer on the Dave Dameshek Podcast recently pointing out that Colin Kaepernick seems to be very good so far at avoiding contact. If you look at the playoffs last year, he was ranked 7th with 7 total hits even though he played in more games in the post season than anyone except Joe Flacco. Brady (13 hits), Manning (10 hits), and Rodgers (8 hits) were all hit more than Kaepernick despite the fact that they played in less games, and Joe Flacco took a total of 16 hits to Kaepernick's 7. The other "running" QB in the playoffs, Russell Wilson, was tied with Manning at 10.

Is being a running quarterback really that much more dangerous than being a pocket passer?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I heard Trent Dilfer on the Dave Dameshek Podcast recently pointing out that Colin Kaepernick seems to be very good so far at avoiding contact. If you look at the playoffs last year, he was ranked 7th with 7 total hits even though he played in more games in the post season than anyone except Joe Flacco. Brady (13 hits), Manning (10 hits), and Rodgers (8 hits) were all hit more than Kaepernick despite the fact that they played in less games, and Joe Flacco took a total of 16 hits to Kaepernick's 7. The other "running" QB in the playoffs, Russell Wilson, was tied with Manning at 10.

Is being a running quarterback really that much more dangerous than being a pocket passer?
Kaep I am not sure about but I would bet my right testicle RGKnee doesn't spend 5 years in the NFL as an elite and or starting QB.

It isn't just number of hits that they take, its where they take them and in what situation. A QB in the pocket who sees the hit coming and does that awkward turtle looking hunch they do in order to minimize the impact is a lot less likely to get hurt then a QB running out of the pocket who doesn't see that safety coming and takes one in his legs while they are both moving at full speed.

Of course you can be good at avoiding the contact regardless like Kaep seems to be, but all it takes is that one hit when by the nature of your play style you are opening yourself up to more vicious and varied hits then the average pocket bound QB.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...ualified=false

All things being equal (Offensive line) a scrambling QB will get hit less than any QB regardless of OL, your running QB's get hit the most next then pocket passers. That is all things being equal, now when you take into account situations and try to break it down your running QB's seem to inflate the numbers to where you say hey look Stafford was hit just as much as RG3! Then you realize that Stafford threw the ball more than anyone else and that OL was fucking horrible, meanwhile RG3 a running QB with an awesome fucking line that a rookie 6th round draft pick set the Redskins all time rushing yards record.

It's hard to just look at the stats and point to one example and just look at number of hits and come to the conclusion that running QB's get hit just as often as pocket passers. It's a good discussion and one that I believe running QB's with good OL's inflate their number of hits and scrambling QB's with shit OL's drastically reduce the amount of hits. A good examples is Rothlesburger and Romo, both horrible fucking lines last year that I doubt even the stupidest of people would contest that yet they rank 23rd and 16th in QB hits. Look at Peyton Manning, a pocket passer if there ever was a pocket passer, he is the definition of NOT a mobile QB was hit the fewest.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...ualified=false

Good rushing teams have good OL's, Washington has a better line than Denver (Denvers is good) but if you just consider them equal which is a bit of a stretch imo RG3 got hit way more than Manning. RG3 being a running QB inflated the number of hits he took, now you can argue style and each QB is different sure, maybe he Kaep will be the running QB that defies the odds and will be a scrambler/runner like Randall Cunningham and manage to stick around for a while but I am positive RG3 is not that QB, dude has 2 ACL 1 LCL in one knee and 1 ACL surgery on the other. RG3 has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's definitely true that not all running QBs are the same either. A guy that tries to be a hero on busted plays like RG3 or Mike Vick seems much more likely to get hurt than someone who runs smart and knows when to slide or get out of bounds. Size matters as well, Kaepernick has like 20 lbs on the other running QBs except for Cam Newton who has 15 pounds on him.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
meanwhile RG3 a running QB with an awesome fucking line that a rookie 6th round draft pick set the Redskins all time rushing yards record.
Washington has a good offensive line all the sudden? They were ranked #27 in 2011 and added no one in the offseason. They were ranked #16 for 2012. This is more a case of having a good scheme for the QB and RB that allows the offensive line to look better than it really is. Believe me, that line is mediocre at best.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Washington has a good offensive line all the sudden? They were ranked #27 in 2011 and added no one in the offseason. They were ranked #16 for 2012. This is more a case of having a good scheme for the QB and RB that allows the offensive line to look better than it really is. Believe me, that line is mediocre at best.
Not to mention the golden luck our line had starting the same 5 guys for 16 of the 17 games. Basically zero chance that happens again, expect regression.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It was Man0 for sure.
Pretty sure the quote was some of the guys the Cowboys cut in 2007/2008 could start on other teams, not about the Cowboys backups.

Specificially it was about Danny Amendola and Matt Moore - two guys they tried to stash on the practice squad in 2008? and have gone on to be pretty good.

Still wish we had Matt Moore as a backup.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Hmm. Tarell Brown, the 49ers best CB just lost a $2mil. workout bonus because he didn't participate in the team's offseason program. Now his salary drops to $925,000 for the year. Weird thing is he's not holding out, and showed up to training camp day 1.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Matt Moore sure did get fucked. Honestly, the guy seems to be on a talent level similar to Bradford. But because of crappy timing is now backing up friggin Tannehill! Although, apparently he just resigned for 2 years, $8M this offseason. So I guess he's got that going for him.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Hmm. Tarell Brown, the 49ers best CB just lost a $2mil. workout bonus because he didn't participate in the team's offseason program. Now his salary drops to $925,000 for the year. Weird thing is he's not holding out, and showed up to training camp day 1.
Yeah, no clue what that was all about. The last thing we need is to be weaker in an area we were already fairly weak in last year.