2023-2024 NFL Season : Arizona's QB Search Continues

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't get why McAfee took the deal with them in the first place. Seemed like he was making about the same on his own. He had to know they were going to meddle with things.
Because he gets to double-dip? He still gets YouTube revenue on top of the ESPN deal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
He clearly has bigger aspirations beyond his show with doing college gameday and other shit that ESPN was affording him. Definitely doesn't sound like it is even remotely going as planned tho.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Because he gets to double-dip? He still gets YouTube revenue on top of the ESPN deal.
I might be way off, but I didn't think the YouTube revenue is all that lucrative. I pulled up some site that estimates the revenue based on view counts and it has his channel pulling in about 50k per month. 600k per year is nothing to sneeze at, but it's peanuts compared to the 120 million / 4 years deal he walked away from with Fan Duel or the 89 million / 5 years deal he signed with ESPN. I assume there's quite a bit under the surface, I'm just going off the headlines of the deal, I never bothered/cared to find out if any of the details got published publicly.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Steelers gonna make playoffs without TJ Watt. Sad.
Yeah, really hope it isn't major, but it didn't look good. This stat, is pretty crazy to me. Only 2 players ever to have done it, and they are brothers? Nuts

Watt not only leads the NFL with 19 sacks, but he's also the second player in NFL history to have multiple seasons of at least 19 sacks, joining older brother J.J.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Someone explain to me what kind of sense does it make for the Bears to win 4 out of 5 of their last games, meaning at worst they are going to be 4-2 for their last 6 games (after going 3- 8 before that) and now looking at having a 10th? round pick when they were so close to picking as early as #2 (the team picking at #1 is them also because Carolinas 1st round pick is theirs this year).
Honest question, I think I might be missing something.
I'm trying to imagine being a Bears fan and just watching my team start fucking 0-4 and then when it does not matter at all and in fact it might even be harming to do so they start winning.
Is there some sense to this?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Execs and owners might want the team to tank but I don't think the players actually ever do. They go out to win regardless of the situation.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Players and coaches don't want to shit it up and tank. Why should they care about 5 years from now when being shitty now might get them a worse next contract or out of the league.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Meh Taylor had first downs on 2nd and 3rd but ran out of bounds and made a business decision vs turning it up.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Execs and owners might want the team to tank but I don't think the players actually ever do. They go out to win regardless of the situation.
Not only do they not want to, they would be stupid to do it even if management asked. A team can have a "rebuilding year" but from a player/coach perspective that means the team is going to get rid of you and bring in someone else. Think you're going to care if the Bears go to the superbowl in 3 years if they cut you at the beginning of the process? Also, if you are going to be looking for a new team, not only do you now have the stink of being on an 0-17 team on you, you have half a season of tape out there where you were intentionally trying to lose by playing badly? Fuck that. There is zero upside to tanking for a player and maybe there's a couple head coaches who have a shitty team but are still secure enough in their job to know that they're going to benefit from that high draft pick. Most of the time a top 5 pick and a rebuilding year starts with the coach and most of the players getting shit canned so it doesn't make much sense for them to intentionally lose.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I might be way off, but I didn't think the YouTube revenue is all that lucrative. I pulled up some site that estimates the revenue based on view counts and it has his channel pulling in about 50k per month. 600k per year is nothing to sneeze at, but it's peanuts compared to the 120 million / 4 years deal he walked away from with Fan Duel or the 89 million / 5 years deal he signed with ESPN. I assume there's quite a bit under the surface, I'm just going off the headlines of the deal, I never bothered/cared to find out if any of the details got published publicly.

Those things tend to be massively under what they actually make.

The big thing is a $120 mil contract is guaranteed money while YouTube is very unstable and someone could say one wrong thing and suddenly your YouTube channel is demonetized and your fucked.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
YouTube pays very well, but not ESPN well. However Disney is "struggling" and ESPN is the odd subsidiary out for them. I don't know if Pat is that smart and forward thinking, but he could be sensing the ESPN sell off that could be a very real possibility in the next year or two. Just go back to doing what you want to do because what are they gonna do? Fire one of the only talking heads people actually like?

Fadaar

That guy
I forget how the Fox acquisition works, does Disney own anything TV related for Fox or just the movie studio portion?

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
I forget how the Fox acquisition works, does Disney own anything TV related for Fox or just the movie studio portion?
I know the regional sports networks got spun off and were bought by Bally. I recall there was a possibility last year that Bally was going to default on their payment to MLB, which had the potential to open up the blackout rules for their app (it never came to fruition though). I'm not aware of anything Disney got to keep sports-wise in that deal.

Juvarisx

Florida
Disney bought the cable entertainment (FX and FXX), motion picture (including Searchlight) and direct broadcast satellite divisions. Fox kept national Fox Sports, Fox News and the television network and broadcast stations, as Disney could not buy them since they own ABC and the FCC would have blocked it. Disney then spun off regional Fox Sports to Bally since they owned ESPN and the DoJ said nope.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Kinda crazy to think today could be Belichick's last game as the Patriot's coach. Win or lose, It will also be his worst season record ever I believe.

• 1Like