300: Rise of an empire

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
That's subject to debate. While the primary motivation of his father Darius was certainly to punish the Athenians and Eretrians for lending assistance to the Ionian Revolt, the extraordinary force Xerxes committed to the invasion suggests that he was interested in extending Persian control as far intro Greece as he could.
Seriously, push up your glasses and get this faggotry out of here. This is a thread about an ultra-violent movies series based on a Graphic novel.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seriously, push up your glasses and get this faggotry out of here. This is a thread about an ultra-violent movies series based on a Graphic novel.
I was responding to Tarrant. You don't tell me when, where, or what to post you insignificant little retard. If you decide you'd like to keep being a faggot, I'll go dig up the fourteen page term paper I wrote for a history class about the significance of the Battle of Marathon and start slowly posting it here.

fucker_sl

shitlord
I was responding to Tarrant. You don't tell me when, where, or what to post you insignificant little retard. If you decide you'd like to keep being a faggot, I'll go dig up the fourteen page term paper I wrote for a history class about the significance of the Battle of Marathon and start slowly posting it here.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Do it. Post a page a day and let us discuss this seminal work of literature from the wee little Gavinchild.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That's subject to debate. While the primary motivation of his father Darius was certainly to punish the Athenians and Eretrians for lending assistance to the Ionian Revolt, the extraordinary force Xerxes committed to the invasion suggests that he was interested in extending Persian control as far intro Greece as he could.
Oh for sure I have no doubt he was seeking to expand his empire it would have been silly had he not been trying to do both. If not for all the massive revolts he was having back home and his navy embarrassingly getting raped he probably would have done just that.

That said, I'm sure he was pretty satisfied with eradicating Athans if nothing else. It's pretty mind bottling to see such losses happen over one ruler simply being pissed off at a single city/city state. I'd be on your side of an argument that the campaign would have been a loss for him being even though he achieved a victory against Athans it resulted in the beginnings of his empire crumbling....but at least those fucking Athenians were destroyed. I can see him on his deathbed being told "Our empire will soon be in ruins..." and him responding "How's Athans? lawl"

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
OH MAN BURN! You are one tough hombre. You got me! Cant wait to read this paper. You are going to impress so many people on the internet. I bet you are hard thinking about it.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Technically destroying Athens was his main objective anyways so the fact he destroyed the fuck out of it is pretty much mission accomplished for him. Other stuff aside, he did what he set out to do.
Gonna have to go with Gavinrad here, destroying Athens was no more of an objective for Xerxes than destroying Moscow was for Napoleon. They bought sought full dominion and control over the land and the people, not just a military victory.

Nerds getting butthurt about being corrected and proved wrong.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Gonna have to go with Gavinrad here, destroying Athens was no more of an objective for Xerxes than destroying Moscow was for Napoleon. They bought sought full dominion and control over the land and the people, not just a military victory.

Nerds getting butthurt about being corrected and proved wrong.
Except destruction of Athens is what motivated him to begin the whole campaign to begin with.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Except destruction of Athens is what motivated him to begin the whole campaign to begin with.
That assertion is really too vague to be meaningful. At some point, the destruction/occupation of the enemy's capital is the goal of just about every invading force.

More accurately Xerxes was motivated by his predecessor's defeat to the Greeks, and by his desire to punish the Greeks for supporting the people of Asia Minor when they resisted the Persian rule 20 years prior.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
That assertion is really too vague to be meaningful. At some point, the destruction/occupation of the enemy's capital is the goal of just about every invading force.

More accurately Xerxes was motivated by his predecessor's defeat to the Greeks, and by his desire to punish the Greeks for supporting the people of Asia Minor when they resisted the Persian rule 20 years prior.
Cool Story Bro. Lets discuss this more.

Also, where did they find the mutant executioner? That was totally legit.

rrr_img_31274.jpg

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Cool Story Bro. Lets discuss this more.

Also, where did they find the mutant executioner? That was totally legit.

rrr_img_31274.jpg
More than likely, they based it off your mother's wedding photo.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I mean I guess we don't know for sure if he would have pressed into the Greek city states or not had Athens not sent weapons and troops to support their uprising against the Persian rule or not. I'd say chances were more in favor that they would have but to deny that that specific event didn't spark the go ahead plans for Xerxes to lead a campaign strait to Athens seems off to me.

Either way, the whole period is a pretty facinating one.

On that note, I think Gunnar goes through physical pain when others talk about history.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Its not so much history its the "Actually guys heres why everyone is wrong about shit thats not really important to the original point, I always have to correct people" types on the internetz. Too Serious.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its not so much history its the "Actually guys heres why everyone is wrong about shit thats not really important to the original point, I always have to correct people" types on the internetz. Too Serious.
I misunderstood what you meant when you said 'and then went on to defeat the Greeks'. If you had just said 'I meant he won the battle of Thermopylae' instead of being such a douche, there probably wouldn't have been an ancient history derail.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Bro, we are just making sure you know what you are talking about. Unlike what you are claiming, Xerxes never defeated the Greeks

As a matter of fact, the Battle of Salamis is considered one of the most important battles in human history, right up there with Tours, Vienna and Stalingrad exactly because it turned Xerxes around and made him retreat for good.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I wonder how different the wolrd would be today had the Persians indeed defeated all of Greece and fully established their empire and rule there.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i am russian-east asia history major. i hate classical antiquity history. bronze age stone mans can go do whatever they want.

tartars4life.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
i am russian-east asia history major. i hate classical age history. bronze age stone mans can go do whatever they want.

tartars4life.
Its "Tatars". "Tartar" is something you brush out of your mouth