38 studios Auction Nov 14th and 15th.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Disney is smart: All that Extended Universe stuff is now officially relegated to fan fiction.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I mean, his books are written as poorly as a forum post. Drizzt is a cool character. So was Zak. R.A. has some nifty ideas but his writing is garbage. Having him write something out of his scope wasn't going to work out.
Let's be honest, most of the Forgotten Realms stuff took a pretty huge dive, not just Salvatore. Elminster in Hell was the last book I ever read because it was formatted and read like really, -really- bad fan fiction. The "Threat from the Seas" Mel Odom books were terrible too. I tried to give his other FR books a shot but all he'd do in every book is reference his other books. Reeked of desperation.

I like to think they just ran out of ideas and had contracts to fill or something. I remember absolutely loving the Time of Troubles books and the early Harper books.

Maybe I just grew up and was more easily able to spot lazy fiction.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You just grew up. Like, a couple years back I started catching up on a lot of newer Drizzt books until I was forcibly reminded that Salvatore is a shit writer. But I would say that the newer ones aren't really any worse than his older ones, it's just the exact same story over and over and over again. Oh the terrible ennui of being a long lived race living among shorter lived ones. I still love the OG Dragonlance books but they're definitely awful books.

I liked the Amalur lore regardless of who wrote it. I think it was pretty good, and it was nice to see someone actually digging a bit into the various Seelie/Unseelie myths.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I went back and read the original Dragonlance stuff when they came out with the annotated Chronicles. Those books were awesome when I was 13, not so much at 30.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Tried getting back into Drizzt earlier this year. I made it through a book and a half before quitting. It was so bad and Drizzt is such a shitty character.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I consider Salvatore to be a fore-runner of the YA books of today. Most of them are fine for a short read with low expectations. He's the same way. Of course I'm just talking about his early stuff. No one should be worse after lots of practice but he is. Maybe him and Terry Goodkind can collaborate to make the worst fantasy novel of all time?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
LOL, where's Lumie and is it Sept. 23rd yet?
Nice.

I'm disappointed with myself for not linking that up.
frown.png
Lumie doesn't quite make it to the reference/cross-reference section of my brain.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Let's be honest, most of the Forgotten Realms stuff took a pretty huge dive, not just Salvatore.Elminster in Hellwas the last book I ever read because it was formatted and read like really, -really- bad fan fiction. The "Threat from the Seas" Mel Odom books were terrible too. I tried to give his other FR books a shot but all he'd do in every book is reference his other books. Reeked of desperation.

I like to think they just ran out of ideas and had contracts to fill or something. I remember absolutely loving the Time of Troubles books and the early Harper books.

Maybe I just grew up and was more easily able to spot lazy fiction.
this shit right here. I remember picking it up cause I had some time on my hands, working a summer job at a bookstore. Holy hell was the garbage even to my high school sensibilities.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I re-read the old Dragonlance stuff a few years ago. Writing and pacing of story is very basic and elementary, but for some reason I love reading the characters and their interaction. I'm ok with that.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I loved Dragonlance as a kid, but I doubt any of it would hold up now. Well, I think the Legends trilogy would still be decent. Chronicles and the rest would seem juvenile now. The books don't have the timeless quality of the The Black Company, Hyperion, etc.. other books from that time.

Sadly Curt is kinda right. Has anyone seen what the "non-extremists" in Afghanistan are like? Bunch of neanderthal child molesters. This movie is a real eye-opener:

This Is What Winning Looks Like | VICE | United States

The idiots we are trying to "save" seem no better than the Taliban. Here's the response of an Afghan commander when US troops expressed concern about child-rape in the barracks at night:

rrr_img_108546.jpg

Thanks be to Allah?