A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

rectifryer

Lord Nagafen Raider
At this point I've just started watching war of the roses documentaries. That period of history is surprisingly entertaining and has an actual ending.

GRRM tried to inlay fantasy into this period for what ever reasons, perhaps to stand out. I don't think it has to be high fantasy, it's not really. They live in a world that barely has a hold on magic, most don't even believe it. As far as the common man is concerned, it doesn't impact anything until dragons appear and the white walkers actually come. I like this practical yet shocking aspect to the magic. I don't know who started co -opting high fantasy as a label for GoT, but it couldn't be farther from the truth.

Another interesting aspect, the motive of the gods are never really clear. They seem to act more on their own misguided virtues rather than outcomes, like living beings that lack foresight but perhaps just don't value human life. Even the gods are cruel in this universe. That's not unlike a lot of mythology and it lines up with the tone of the books.

The show did not do a good job elucidating on these aspects. It got far worse as it went on. The show IS the result of trying to tie a high fantasy ending into this universe. It DOESN'T WORK but that's not obvious because the show was never really in harmony with the tone of the books. The point of the books is that there is no justice, only chance and power...a lesson learned in the war of the roses.

I appreciate his ability and process of writing where he follows the natural creative flow, but he needs to keep mining it until there's a conclusion. Without that diligence, he's useless. He's inept in the sense that he hasn't realized his process requires completing a whole story first then pruning the loose ends afterwards. He can't do that when he's releasing the books before conclusion. This process is stuck, and will NOT resolve.

Blaming his laziness on fascism is an excuse and appeal to the masses like a corporation taking ESG money because they can't stay afloat otherwise. He doesn't really believe that, and we don't need to inject Tolkien into everything.

Chris

Potato del Grande
At this point I've just started watching war of the roses documentaries. That period of history is surprisingly entertaining and has an actual ending.
I think it's interesting how much is real and how much is Tudor propaganda to validate their claim to the throne written by Shakespeare and others.

Everyone assumed Richard III being a hunchback was all Shakespeare until they found the body and he actually was fucked up.

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
And the fact of the matter, I could give to shits. Despite maybe burning whatever manuscripts, notes, or outlines he has, he also burned all the patience, good will and appreciation from fans much earlier.

I hope the NY Giants all die in a fiery plane crash, and it just so happens to crash on his mansion wherever the hell he's living in Arizona or whatever. Hopefully while he's eating chicken wings.
I could give two shits about waiting for his next remaining books. GoT gave me the general idea how he wants to end the series - took the blue balling and eagerness out for me while waiting patiently for this fucker to finish.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I could give two shits about waiting for his next remaining books. GoT gave me the general idea how he wants to end the series - took the blue balling and eagerness out for me while waiting patiently for this fucker to finish.
Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

rectifryer

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it's interesting how much is real and how much is Tudor propaganda to validate their claim to the throne written by Shakespeare and others.

Everyone assumed Richard III being a hunchback was all Shakespeare until they found the body and he actually was fucked up.
Yeah I just watched a show that touched on that last night. Richard III was technically correct but the PIECE OF SHIT woodvilles gonna Woodville. They had no reason not to trust him and they backed him into a corner. That being said, they're all bat shit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is it something he intends to mimic with not finishing his book series? I wonder if he thinks he'll be like a JRR Tolkien or Frank Herbert, where his books will maintain some sort of more mythical quality by being unfinished, or that he can't sully the best ending any reader can imagine, simply by passing away.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
First three books are some of the best fantasy literature, you're doing yourself a disservice by not reading them.

GoT showrunners and GRRM himself have permanently tarnished his legacy however. There's no way he achieves anything close to Tolkien or Herbert.