Active shooter at Fort Hood, again

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, I own several guns. I also have little to no desire to go shooting these days. I think last time I went to the range was 2 years ago, maybe 3. My primary sidearm would have an 1/8" layer of dust on it right now if I didn't keep it in a case.
So why do you have guns?

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm not sure kicking crazy people out of the military so they disappear into the masses, with less supervision and health care is the best plan.
No man, its not about kicking them out; its about making sure they get appropriate care while in the military, and then after through the VA - both of which are areas where there is a severe lack right now. Its getting better, but the resources are just not there. While just kicking them out isn't the answer, you also don't want a mentally disturbed individual controlling 60 ton death machines, either. Its about easing them back into civilian life and ensuring they get the proper care after.

This sounds like an issue where that guy never should have made it in in the first place. Mental health is difficult to screen; you add that to military recruiters who are under enormous pressure (extremely enormous - to fail at recruiting is to pretty much end your career, no matter how badass of a killer you are) to put people in, and you got a major problem.

If anything good comes out of this, it will be a renewed effort to patch up the mostly screwed up military mental health support system for guys still in uniform, and for the guys who have gone on to civilian life.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So why do you have guns?
If he's like me, he had an interest and/or the need for protection and it passed for whatever reason. (I personally enjoyed hunting, but my health doesn't allow me to anymore - and mine literally are collecting dust these days... reminds me actually I should probably either sell them or verify the laws for bringing them on the move with the whole crossing state lines thing...)

Jais

Trakanon Raider
When I was in, we'd come back and would have to see "The Wizard" before we could leave base and all that, he was the dude standing in the way of us and libo, family, booze, women, etc so we just told him everything they wanted to hear. I hope they've done away with that "system."

Other than that, I see travel time back to the world being part of the issue. At sun up you're in Shithole, Wherever, then come sundown you're back in the States. Least WW2 vets had a few month ship back, time to decompress amongst your fellows and all that. As it stands, I'm near a 1:1 ratio of dudes who checked themselves out to dudes we lost in country. I really don't get it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Turns out I beat up one of the victims when we were in high school. Small world. Tim Owens, lived in Effingham.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Shame the piece of shit didnt die in Iraq. Fucking pussy, how the hell do you get ptsd/anxiety when you never saw combat? Just another shitbag using ptsd as an excuse to be a shitbag.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
yeah cause being in Iraq is only stressful for combatants.
been there done that. I was woken up by plenty of ieds going off in the middle of the night while over there while having to drive right over the freshly made craters the next day.

One thing I don't get is that the Army is saying he had a "self-reported" TBI. Well, ok...he reported it, cool. Did they send him for a brain MRI? How would they not check that relatively soon after he reported it? Didn't believe him?

I think they're really setting the table to say that the soldier did not have PTSD. Pretty sure they don't want to risk others with PTSD getting scared of being labeled a potential going postal risk.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
been there done that. I was woken up by plenty of ieds going off in the middle of the night while over there while having to drive right over the freshly made craters the next day.
What's your point? That because you didn't get PTSD, no other non-combatants could have gotten it? I suppose you think it's bullshit that drone operators can get PTSD too.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
What's your point? That because you didn't get PTSD, no other non-combatants could have gotten it? I suppose you think it's bullshit that drone operators can get PTSD too.
you realize the drone operators youre thinking about(the ones who drop hellfires) dont leave the US? They are stationed in Nevada.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Is setting children at a wedding on fire in Yemen while sitting on your ass in Nevada sufficiently less traumatic to make the development of PTSD an impossibility?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
According to Phoenix you can't get PTSD at home games.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Is setting children at a wedding on fire in Yemen while sitting on your ass in Nevada sufficiently less traumatic to make the development of PTSD an impossibility?
The lag alone would drive me to PTSD.

I wonder if drone pilots have ladders and achievement boards.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>