Ancient Civilizations

Chris

Potato del Grande
Saw this on expedition unknown:

TLDR

Last Pharaoh of Egypt is exiled and doesn't use his tomb, so how did The British Museum loot his granite coffin from Alexandria? Why wasn't it in his desert funerary temple 100s of miles away?

What if the coffin was repurposed to use in Alexander's tomb in Alexandria to help Ptolemy's claim to rule, then the body repurposed as St Mark's to stop the Christians purging Pagan sites, then the body moved to Venice to save it from the invading Muslims?

Lots of speculation and what if's right?

So why was a stone slab with Macedonian symbols found in St Mark's tomb in Venice that fits as a casing in height and width the Egyptian coffin in London?

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Not much to add to this thread but I do enjoy it.
I went to the state library in Melbourne last week this was on display.
IMG_20240815_121831_617.jpg

IMG_20240815_121840_410~2.jpg

IMG_20240815_121840_410~3.jpg

We also did the Egyptian collection at the Art house.
IMG_20240713_132026_623.jpg

Bit of side bewb hehe

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

My inner fat kid thought that was a loaf of bread.
Here is an ancient loaf of bread from Herculaneum:
2024-08-17 20.29.31 www.google.com de04b364f1cd.png

Also, we live closer in time to the person who made that bread, than they lived to the person that made that Sumerian tablet (but not by much).

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Someone I know keeps telling me that some Egyptologist basically gained control of the sphinx and keeps altering it, and is now trying to get the paws sanded down or something.

Not sure how any of this can be true and Google isn't turning up much. Anybody know what this might be referring to? Cause if some guy has gained even partial control over an ancient relic to just alter it, then uh...the f***?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Someone I know keeps telling me that some Egyptologist basically gained control of the sphinx and keeps altering it, and is now trying to get the paws sanded down or something.

Not sure how any of this can be true and Google isn't turning up much. Anybody know what this might be referring to? Cause if some guy has gained even partial control over an ancient relic to just alter it, then uh...the f***?
Does this person that you know have an X account that MFF routinely posts here? If so, you can safely ignore them.
Troll Dancing GIF

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
TBH I don't know. Looks like nobody else does either.

The big thing I'm mulling over this week:

-So wait, Mauritania had a line of King Atlas, one of which developed the celestial globe (hence why it's called that)

-Mauritania is where the Richat Structure is

-Plato said in ~500BC that Atlas was the king of Atlantis 9,000 years earlier

-Mauritania's King Atlas line... was after Plato's time

I mean what are the odds of all of this

Sometimes I think maybe people's perception of time back then was way off and all of these things happened much closer together. I.e. Atlantis was in like 2,000 BC and nearly overlapped with the Greeks, then became Mauritania. Though I do find it a lot more believable that they were antediluvian and were wiped out by the glacier explosion around 12,000 years ago, as that'd be enough time for no traces to remain. But it sure seems like people circa 500 BC weren't that far removed from them. The Sahara onset seems to have been way after the 12,000 years ago disaster and could have been as recent as 3-5,000 years ago. Maybe remnants of the old kingdom were still standing around Lake Chad for a long time.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

He's right. People think archaeology is this ongoing process all over the world, where humans are working together and cooperating to study our history. In actuality, things suck, very little actual money is going into solving our mysteries, and archaeologists have to dodge Boko Haram to study some of these ancient sites. There's no plan to actually excavate any of the great mysteries as things are now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
He's right. People think archaeology is this ongoing process all over the world, where humans are working together and cooperating to study our history. In actuality, things suck, very little actual money is going into solving our mysteries, and archaeologists have to dodge Boko Haram to study some of these ancient sites. There's no plan to actually excavate any of the great mysteries as things are now.
Maybe it's always been this way. I mean how many thousands of years have these things just been sitting around waiting for somebody to find them and talk about? Maybe most people just don't give a shit if Atlantis is in Mauritania or never existed. The locals there don't care. We have had ground penetrating radar. Lidar and we can find buried buried ruins just by using Google Earth. Is anyone rushing to unearth those buried pyramids in Mexico or Egypt? Nope. Most people don't care because it doesn't affect their lives and they can't profit from it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The British just need to find their balls again and go back to running around stealing shit

• 2Like