Ancient Civilizations

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

The only thing I agree with him about is that most people who graduate from university with a degree in archeology don't use it. That's because we graduate far too many with archeology degrees.

As to not excavating fast enough you will have to address your complaints to Turkey Indonesia and Egypt they are ones who have the final say so in who, and when people can excavate there. They also have their reasons for going slow and part of those reasons are that there are too many foreigners who want to excavate stuff in their country. They want control of digs and credit for doing them and also want the interpretation rights. They don't want some European or American suddenly upending long-held beliefs about things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
The only thing I agree with him about is that most people who graduate from university with a degree in archeology don't use it. That's because we graduate far too many with archeology degrees.

As to not excavating fast enough you will have to address your complaints to Turkey Indonesia and Egypt they are ones who have the final say so in who, and when people can excavate there. They also have their reasons for going slow and part of those reasons are that there are too many foreigners who want to excavate stuff in their country. They want control of digs and credit for doing them and also want the interpretation rights. They don't want some European or American suddenly upending long-held beliefs about things.
I'm imagining roving bands of unemployed western archeology graduates across the east trying to dig things up lol.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it's always been this way. I mean how many thousands of years have these things just been sitting around waiting for somebody to find them and talk about? Maybe most people just don't give a shit if Atlantis is in Mauritania or never existed. The locals there don't care. We have had ground penetrating radar. Lidar and we can find buried buried ruins just by using Google Earth. Is anyone rushing to unearth those buried pyramids in Mexico or Egypt? Nope. Most people don't care because it doesn't affect their lives and they can't profit from it.

As far as I can tell, nobody cared about archaeology to begin with until like the 1800's when the Germans and British decided to try and figure out our history.

Hell, nobody cared about history until 500 BC when the Greeks started going out and collecting word-of-mouth mythology that had been passed down about things like The Flood. One of the reasons most of said history was totally lost.

The oldest surviving human written work (3,000 years old) literally containing something called "The Deluge Tablet" that talks about a flood destroying a great civilization thousands of years before that...is pretty much as on-the-nose as it gets, too.

You'd think people would be more curious, but nope. And in the future they'll be even less curious. We've got a whole younger generation now who think everything's a "conspiracy theory" and the worst thing you can be is a "conspiracy theorist" and it really doesn't invite any sort of outside-the-box thinking.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
As far as I can tell, nobody cared about archaeology to begin with until like the 1800's when the Germans and British decided to try and figure out our history.

Hell, nobody cared about history until 500 BC when the Greeks started going out and collecting word-of-mouth mythology that had been passed down about things like The Flood. One of the reasons most of said history was totally lost.

The oldest surviving human written work (3,000 years old) literally containing something called "The Deluge Tablet" that talks about a flood destroying a great civilization thousands of years before that...is pretty much as on-the-nose as it gets, too.

You'd think people would be more curious, but nope. And in the future they'll be even less curious. We've got a whole younger generation now who think everything's a "conspiracy theory" and the worst thing you can be is a "conspiracy theorist" and it really doesn't invite any sort of outside-the-box thinking.
It's the same thinking as the people who are against any space exploration and prefer that money be spent feeding the poors.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I would say we have a whole generation that doesn't believe in anything anymore. The prior generation the millennials were the high water mark for believing in anything that someone with a university degree says. There is both good and bad in this view.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1725733244066.png

How cool would it be to have one of these for real?

After finding out who built the pyramids (and when), I'd bring mine to the Richat Structure. Start going back through the centuries until I got to 12000 years ago and we'd see what happened / if anything was really there. Since the machine has a sort of bubble around it that makes it impervious while traveling, I wouldn't have to worry about The Flood and could just watch it come and go. Maybe spend some time with the pre-Flood people, knowing they're on borrowed time.

Then I'd return to the present to report my findings, and promptly get murdered by Mauritanian Boko Haram who then rip the machine up for shiny parts they can trade for human-burgers at the local meat market.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
View attachment 544884
How cool would it be to have one of these for real?

After finding out who built the pyramids (and when), I'd bring mine to the Richat Structure. Start going back through the centuries until I got to 12000 years ago and we'd see what happened / if anything was really there. Since the machine has a sort of bubble around it that makes it impervious while traveling, I wouldn't have to worry about The Flood and could just watch it come and go. Maybe spend some time with the pre-Flood people, knowing they're on borrowed time.

Then I'd return to the present to report my findings, and promptly get murdered by Mauritanian Boko Haram who then rip the machine up for shiny parts they can trade for human-burgers at the local meat market.
The last thing I do with a time machine is see who built the pyramids. First thing I do is invest in Apple and Microsoft. Get stupid money rich and then I see what the world was like long ago. Though I ain't going to 12k years ago right in the middle of the mass extinction event. Maybe go 14k years ago and see what structures were standing.