Ashes of Creation

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
If you think pvp mechanics in a mmo designed for player / guild conflict is griefing please just do us all a favor by staying out of this thread. Just focus on wow or new world or whatever you types like to play in your safe space.

• 2Picard
  • 1Barf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 8 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you think pvp mechanics in a mmo designed for player / guild conflict is griefing please just do us all a favor by staying out of this thread. Just focus on wow or new world or whatever you types like to play in your safe space.

Nice non answer and right to defensive/insulting. Oh yeah you are $500 in or more, defend away!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
So, no clue if this is at all implemented in the current alpha, but I've been curious about this and haven't seen any statement on the matter. What's the game doing with regards to shit like encounter locking and kill-stealing mechanics? After having GW2 be the only MMO that I've touched for some years, it'll be weird going back into a game where you can't just hop into an ongoing fight to lend someone a hand.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Right, it's like asking someone who spent 1k on a ship in Star Citizen what they think of the game. Sure, you have to like the game to spend that much, but when you spend that much you also feel like you have to justify why you spent that much.

Are there people in alpha that are not $500 or more invested already? I'd like to hear from them. As much as people deny it, when you are that much money in already, can't really be unbiased.

While that has merit, I could also get my money back if I did not like the system. I could do this for another 70 days. At the moment, I have no intention of doing that because I enjoyed what I played.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Griefing is griefing regardless of the goal of the game. It was griefing back in UO when we would loot people's houses because they were too dumb and carried their house keys on them, it was griefing in AC when we camped Shoji to kill new players as they logged in Darktide and stood no chance or farmed people trying to level up and it was griefing in many other occasions in many other pvp games. It is part of the server/game rules, since it's open pvp, but it's still griefing. They specifically told you to not grief during the alpha to get good testing.

Mind you I'm not saying it's good or bad, there's definitely a segment of mmo players who want this type of game so bad that even shitty games like Archeage or Darkfall or Mortal Online even are getting players, just it seems very disingenuous to try to argue that corpse camping a low lvl/low gear player or something of the sort is somehow not griefing because "it's a pvp server/game". The term emerged specifically from pvp servers/games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
any so called hardcore pvper who doesn't acknowledge that griefing needs to be mitigated for a game to be a success deserve the most severe ridicule for being an idiot.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

In my experience, the only people who usually advocate for griefing mechanics in a PVP game are the people who can only win PVP engagements by doing that lol

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What's the game doing with regards to shit like encounter locking and kill-stealing mechanics?
Since we just got reminded this is a full world PvP game, I assume you deal with "locking" by killing the person who engaged the mob, then you end stealing its loot once he's dead.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
They don't even have their anti-PK / griefing system in yet, which is why they said lay off the pvp.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
here is a write up link from somebody who is more techically inclined than I am. Ashes May 14 Alpha 1 Test Feedback Verbal Only

That's some good feedback. This is the kind of stuff I like reading when you know the game is still early. Lots of data and you can see both negatives and positives. I think this game's got the best blend of talent, money, and ideas out of the soon to be available options.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
"Griefing" is too subjective, in my opinion. It's so hard to define, depending on the specific game, rulesets, systems, etc. I agree that it's something that needs some form of "mitigation", but that's also something that has to be done carefully as well. I usually err on the side of letting players police themselves, similar to UO and others, but there are times where devs need to make certain calls.

Cybsled

At a bare minimum for a PVP game, anti-griefing should include

1) Mechanisms to prevent high levels from murdering low levels in lower level areas - preferably with some type of scaling mechanism (ie, very low levels can't be killed in starting areas at all, something that prevents or heavily penalizes high levels from massacring mid-levels in mid-level areas, etc). Bottom feeding kills any PVP game long term because it drives away new players before they can even get to a point where they have a chance to compete.

2) Anti-spawn camping mechanisms - avoid situations where the player is chain killed and can't escape it or has no option but to try to run back to their corpse.

3) Mechanisms that don't let players bypass PVP restrictions or allow them to harass without impunity. For example in Archeage, troll guilds would create roadblocks in areas that had no PVP and as such, left you with very limited options on how to deal with it

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The less impact PvP has upon the game, the more successful it could potentially be.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Mn is pretty straight with this stuff, he starts talking about it around the 15 minute mark:

Cybsled

Sounds like it still needs lots of work

Also fuck losing 25% of your shit if you die. That sounds like an express route to dead game ville

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like it still needs lots of work

Also fuck losing 25% of your shit if you die. That sounds like an express route to dead game ville

The major thing giving me hope here is the asian games usually do have a fairly good solution by making being flagged a PK hard to fix and really painful so it goes a long way towards fixing that imbalance, lineage 2 is a great example and I think Steve takes quite a bit of inspiration from those types of games.

I think EVEs solution is better for guild combat where you can PVE your entire time in the game in areas where PVP really isn't a major threat or you can go into more dangerous territory for better money per hour and prestige, Darkfall kind of had this system in 2.0 but they were way way too conservative with only very limited newb zones being safe and then they made it even shittier by making gathering a global system so even nodes had nothing, you need a system like EVE where 50% of the world or so is somewhat lawful and players can mostly enjoy the game without being prey constantly.

If they go the route of Darkfall or Shadowbane though where being red really didn't negatively impact you very much at all and then let you PK whoever you want in 95% of the world outside a few newb only safe areas then ya, this game will see a catastrophic population crash within 3 months.