Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
How do you figure this as car prices have been exponentially getting more expensive?

trumpwillwin-notext.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How do you figure this as car prices have been exponentially getting more expensive?
Car prices haven't been exponentially getting more expensive.
Honda-Accord-30-year-infographic-just-the-chart.jpg

I think the color chart is the coolest part of this. 2013 is boring.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Fuck making cheaper cars, too many tards have wheels as it is. Even self driving cars with idiots owners keep adding more time to my commute. The poor and stupid fucks should have to ride the bus.

Musks plan to shoot them down the street in an air canon also works

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Car prices haven't been exponentially getting more expensive.
Teslas cost $100k Checkmate

On a more serious note, what happens to all the support/maintenance infrastructure we currently have for combustion engine automodingies abd as we transition to more and more 100% electric vehicles?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

On a more serious note, what happens to all the support/maintenance infrastructure we currently have for combustion engine automodingies abd as we transition to more and more 100% electric vehicles?

they have to solve the range problem on electric first.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Shit has been getting more technical as time goes on. The training and education gap is huge from a 1960s or 70s car vs todays electronic/computer controlled beasts. I assume it will only get worse to maintain and service an electric vehicle. I know those battery packs need to be replaced from time to time and expensive as fuck.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
they have to solve the range problem on electric first.

Range is already there, anything at like 200- 300 miles per charge is already at the sweet spot range. But then what do you do for that extended trip for say 400 or 600 miles? Also problem is issues with cold and decreasing battery life.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Shit has been getting more technical as time goes on. The training and education gap is huge from a 1960s or 70s car vs todays electronic/computer controlled beasts. I assume it will only get worse to maintain and service an electric vehicle. I know those battery packs need to be replaced from time to time and expensive as fuck.

I think a battery swap for a Prius is $14K with labor. but electric systems have no hydraulics or water cooling. trouble shooting the 3 systems in an electric and changing parts requires way less tech knowledge than a internal combustion vehicle.

Telsa braking is electric I believe. each motor has a mini transmission to assist braking, trans does nothing for forward momentum. So you have battery 2 motors and 2 trans. Not a lot to maintain.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I feelike my point was missed. There are a massive number of garages and already trained (and training) mechanics who's skillset is approaching obsolescence along with all their equipement. Feel like there will be quite the rocky transition in the future.

Also when my autonomous car needs an update or calibrations on its LIDAR, Cameras, Flux capacitor, etc...will mechanic shops have transitioned enough to handle a completely different technical task?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Range is already there, anything at like 200- 300 miles per charge is already at the sweet spot range. But then what do you do for that extended trip for say 400 or 600 miles? Also problem is issues with cold and decreasing battery life.

250 mi. was what they told me at the showroom and 6 hr recharge at home or 20-30 mins at a Tesla station.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im assuming they would have to in order to stay in business. Plus there will always be legacy shops around to handle analog cars for collectors and shit and those refusing to switch for a time. Plus im assuming those autonomous vehicles would still need regular mechanical maintenance as well, like breaks, motors burning out, electrical problems, gaydar malfunction, etc..etc...

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Your average mechanic is making $15 / hr. and has to buy a shit ton of tools out of their own pockets. They can get a better gig imo.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
250 mi. was what they told me at the showroom and 6 hr recharge at home or 20-30 mins at a Tesla station.

So yeah, for a regular day to ay driver this is more than adequate. Average commute is 50 miles or less, charge overnight and good to go. A peson like me with a 10 mile commute each way could go for a few weks on one charge. Again the problem arises what happens during that family trip to see Grandma during Xmas thats 400 miles away? You would have to have a lay over somwhere to charge your shit unless tesla replaces the average gas stations with charging stations, and still youre there charging your shit for 20-40 min.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
So yeah, for a regular day to ay driver this is more than adequate. Average commute is 50 miles or less, charge overnight and good to go. Again the problem arises what happens during that family trip to see Grandma during Xmas thats 400 miles away? You would have to have a lay over somwhere to charge your shit unless tesla replaces the average gas stations with charging stations, and still youre there charging your shit for 20-40 min.
Get food for the kids? Piss? Walk so you don't get a blood clot in your leg? Read a book? Take a break from driving?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
So yeah, for a regular day to ay driver this is more than adequate. Average commute is 50 miles or less, charge overnight and good to go. A peson like me with a 10 mile commute each way could go for a few weks on one charge. Again the problem arises what happens during that family trip to see Grandma during Xmas thats 400 miles away? You would have to have a lay over somwhere to charge your shit unless tesla replaces the average gas stations with charging stations, and still youre there charging your shit for 20-40 min.

INB4 people haul a trailer and do Matt Damon in the Martian for 6 hrs at rest stops.

Craigslist killed the newspapers, all the gas and diesel mechanics can get new jobs writing for Slate and Huffpo like the last batch that got run over by tech.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Get food for the kids? Piss? Walk so you don't get a blood clot in your leg? Read a book? Take a break from driving?

that is if we have those super charging stations wherever. If not, youre stuck for 6-8 hours at todays tech level. So this could tack some serious time to your commute to grandmas which maybe took 5-6 hours before, now youre taking 2 days to get there.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
that is if we have those super charging stations wherever. If not, youre stuck for 6-8 hours at todays tech level. So this could tack some serious time to your commute to grandmas which maybe took 5-6 hours before, now youre taking 2 days to get there.
So your under the assumption that infrastructure will not expand to meet demands of more electric vehicles on the road?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So your under the assumption that infrastructure will not expand to meet demands of more electric vehicles on the road?

Sure, eventually. Im sure the tech will get better as well. Better cells, better charging solutions too. Im just talking near future, for the early ecar adopters.

Also, could our current infrastructure even handle the new found load of powering 200 million vehicles along with what its already powering?

I think the whole thing needs to be upgraded for ecars. Which will take a while.