Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
that is if we have those super charging stations wherever. If not, youre stuck for 6-8 hours at todays tech level. So this could tack some serious time to your commute to grandmas which maybe took 5-6 hours before, now youre taking 2 days to get there.

Shoot grandma thru a Hyperloop. See if she can handle the stress test.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Sure, eventually. Im sure the tech will get better as well. Better cells, better charging solutions too. Im just talking near future, for the early ecar adopters.
I see plenty of teslas on the road locally and at least 1 charging at every reststop I stopped at along the 95/NJ turnpike corridor last weekend

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have not seen one yet other than the Nissan leaf one we have here at work. But im sure they will come.

Also, do you have to pay for the charge at one of those? Im assuming you do, right?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
So is the next war gonna be in Africa to get our rare earth for electric car batteries? Saudis better start diggin up there sand box and hope they strike gold again.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I have not seen one yet other than the Nissan leaf one we have here at work. But im sure they will come.

Also, do you have to pay for the charge at one of those? Im assuming you do, right?
Don't think you do at the Tesla ones on the 95 corridor. Fail to see why it matters if you do, gas isn't free there either.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Don't think you do at the Tesla ones on the 95 corridor. Fail to see why it matters if you do, gas isn't free there either.

Nahh just asking how they handle it, is all, like insert credit card here type of thing? hehe.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

Big mall near me made VIP parking and free chargin for electric vehilces about 6 yrs ago, they took them out because demand was too high and people were plugging in and leaving for hrs.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Tesla superchargers are free ATM, but Tesla announced that will be changing soon. As far as the supercharging station go, they are all over the place along most major hwys. Not perfect, but easy enough to travel cross country, some guys did LA to NY in about 59 hours. Also many destination chargers are being brought online, I think we have 15 or so in Vegas. New battery is at right around 300 miles per charge for the S, little less for the X.

The new $35,000 model 3 will be shipping in 2017, with a 220 mile range. (perhaps more by ship date) Musk stated that one reason the S & X cost so much was to help keep the costs of the model 3 down during it's initial debut. 370,000 pre-ordered seem pretty good to me for an electric vehicle.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I never understood why Tesla didn't go with battery switching technology. Especially if Telsa owned the batteries, instead of the car owner. Seems like that would be a good way to keep costs of the car down as well as solve range issues as well as a quick and easy way to get new battery tech out to the public. Would make even more sense if all car makers standardized battery location and connection so a battery switching stations can service all cars.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't see a half hour stop in a 10 hour day of driving as a problem. It will be a bummer if you're on E and 5 miles from Grandma's house but it's not really that much longer than a standard gas and pee break and if you plan ahead it shouldn't be a problem, or if you're that worried about it you could always just rent a gas car for your cross country drive since most people don't do it that often.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I don't see a half hour stop in a 10 hour day of driving as a problem. It will be a bummer if you're on E and 5 miles from Grandma's house but it's not really that much longer than a standard gas and pee break and if you plan ahead it shouldn't be a problem, or if you're that worried about it you could always just rent a gas car for your cross country drive since most people don't do it that often.

Its a city mouse / country mouse thing. People who clock the most miles (rural folks), burn the most fuel are less likely to go electric and that makes EVs have less positive impact.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Sure, but only 20% of Americans live in rural areas.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Teslas cost $100k Checkmate

On a more serious note, what happens to all the support/maintenance infrastructure we currently have for combustion engine automodingies abd as we transition to more and more 100% electric vehicles?
It won't go away suddenly, it's not like cell phones where in a period of 10 years we'll all laugh at the existence of pay phones.

Additionally, unless we find a chemistry dramatically better than what we have now, gasoline cars aren't going anywhere. It just might go from 0.01% of cars to like, 50% of cars in the most urban of settings. And even that will take decades.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
One thing I have not seen addressed is how do electric cars overcome the disparity where gasoline cars take 2 minutes to refuel but an electric sits at a station for what, 20-60 minutes?

I know they have the 'hotswap' batteries in Tesla but that's A) proprietary and B) not in actual use, right?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
One thing I have not seen addressed is how do electric cars overcome the disparity where gasoline cars take 2 minutes to refuel but an electric sits at a station for what, 20-60 minutes?

I know they have the 'hotswap' batteries in Tesla but that's A) proprietary and B) not in actual use, right?
Im sure they will get better but this will always be a problem. But again not for the majority of people that drive less than 50 miles per day which is the majority of peeps.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Btw, anyone know the average cost per mile using average cost of electricity vs gas?

This is insanely biased in favor of electric cars, even with cheap gas. Say you pay $.08/.09 per kwh for electricity at your house, the car can go 3-4 miles per kwh. Figure up how much juice you'll pay for compared to even $2.50 gallon of gas even in a hybrid that gets 50mpg. Electric car wins on efficiency hugely.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It won't go away suddenly, it's not like cell phones where in a period of 10 years we'll all laugh at the existence of pay phones.

Additionally, unless we find a chemistry dramatically better than what we have now, gasoline cars aren't going anywhere. It just might go from 0.01% of cars to like, 50% of cars in the most urban of settings. And even that will take decades.
in addition to gas cars being phased out slowly, yeah there are much fewer working parts on electric vehicles, but a lot of maintenance will still be necessary on EVs. And with the increase in responsibility that cars will get when they become fully autonomous, there's just more shit to worry about. When your car has 5 radar, 8 sonar sensors, 6 cameras and 4 lidar crammed into it, you'll have a reason to go to the mechanic even if you don't need oil changes anymore.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Sure, but only 20% of Americans live in rural areas.

Liquidate them in camps. No problem.

On a serious note, Harris's podcast yesterday got a bit into the morality and ethics of AI systems. Suggesting a car with 'too' good an AI might drive it's user to the Red Cross and refuse to move until the user donates blood or some amount of money. He imagined that it might also be possible that people will hesitate get into an 'ethical AI' car unless the entire system and algorithm is kept a mystery. That if they knew that their car might swerve and kill them instead of that family of 3, that it might be best if we just keep this secret from the user as best as possible. But then we'd we'd have 'black box' AI which is sort of scary in its own sense. But then the counter argument is that AlphaGo itself is a bit of a mystery black box AI anyway and that that might be the way it turns out in any case.

The idea that your ethical car might drive you Amnesty International and refuse to leave is funny but not out of the realm of what a faulty ethical model might do.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Right now the charging issue is really a heat issue, if you pump too much into the battery at one time you'll heat it up and it'll potentially explode/catch fire. They're doing interesting things with cell phone batteries where they manage the power going to them to keep them from overheating and have gotten them down to 20-30 minute charges. If you can charge specific parts of the battery and keep the heat under control you can make it go even faster, it just becomes more expensive to build batteries that are capable of that and the chargers also go up in price as they have to be "smart".