Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Jive Turkey

Karen
this could all have been avoided if Cap had came back through the portal. he could have lifted his helmet for the old man reveal. he looks about 80. so in theory he could have lived his life with peggy using Bucky's identity and right before Iron Man started he could jump back to 2023 and only have had minimal interference. you could even say he had peggy leave SHIELD to live privately and thats how Hydra took a foothold.

True. But I think from a cinematic point of view, they needed him to 'not come back' in order to convey that idea to the audience. Otherwise he comes back old on the jump pad and it might take a bit for the audience to piece together what happened. The way they did it, the seed of him not returning is already planted in the viewer's mind when we see the old Cap. Perhaps not the cleanest in terms of the rules they set up, but cleaner in the way the idea presents itself to the audience

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Dude, you can't go back into your own past and end up in your present. Claiming that it was just an alternate reality that he was already in the whole time is non sensical. It's not like there's one real timeline and a bunch of alternate timelines. Everyone's timeline is their own timeline. throwing in the term 'alternate timeline' to explain the events on screen does absolutely nothing.

And rage? You're the one calling people dumbass. Stop projecting. I'm cool as a cucumber
Actually the name calling wasn't started by me.

And Im not saying the Cap that left in the portal is the same one that's the old man. To have 2 caps means the old one came from a different timeline.

I'm just saying the only way that ending makes sense is if a Cap came back to the timeline we're watching and lived out his life, and then he decided to arrive at the bench when he knew "he" was going off to return stones, and to live out his days in "some other timeline".

I don't know how you can be an expert on time travel and not understand what I'm saying. We've already seen 2x Nebula on screen together, so clearly having 2x of the same person in the same timeline is possible by the movie's rules. Which is bullshit imo btw. But you keep arguing there can't be 2 Caps when we've already seen it's possible.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Actually the name calling wasn't started by me.

And Im not saying the Cap that left in the portal is the same one that's the old man. To have 2 caps means the old one came from a different timeline.

I'm just saying the only way that ending makes sense is if a Cap came back to the timeline we're watching and lived out his life, and then he decided to arrive at the bench when he knew "he" was going off to return stones, and to live out his days in "some other timeline".

I don't know how you can be an expert on time travel and not understand what I'm saying. We've already seen 2x Nebula on screen together, so clearly having 2x of the same person in the same timeline is possible by the movie's rules. Which is bullshit imo btw. But you keep arguing there can't be 2 Caps when we've already seen it's possible.

This is pants on head retarded. Why would we care about a Captain America that wasn't the one we've been watching for 10 years? Yes, there can be 2 Captain Americas in the same timeline. But if we're not seeing the same one at the end that we've been following from the start, it would be the dumbest piece of writing in the history of storytelling

They either fucked up their own rules for a feels moment, or there is an explanation of how the exact same Captain America got to the bench that the writers didn't think mattered enough to tell us. The end.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This is pants on head retarded. Why would we care about a Captain America that wasn't the one we've been watching for 10 years? Yes, there can be 2 Captain Americas in the same timeline. But if we're not seeing the same one at the end that we've been following from the start, it would be the dumbest piece of writing in the history of storytelling

They either fucked up their own rules for a feels moment, or there is an explanation of how the exact same Captain America got to the bench that the writers didn't think mattered enough to tell us. The end.

Exactly.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Would you not agree that a "well, how he managed to do that was..." bit would lessen the impact of the pacing of the finals scenes?

The answer to the Old Man Cap problem is simple, stated in the movie, and completely unsatisfactory...

He laid low. That’s it, he retired and spent his time fucking, dancing, and fishing. He laid low to not risk fucking anything up, letting the world play out was his last great sacrifice and his reward for saving half the universe.

It’s boring, problematic, and dumb... and sadly that is the most likely truth unless they are planning another more sinister and surprising “hail hydra” moment later.

That’s how I reconcile it. That’s also just my opinion and I am not sharing to counter anyone else’s but just as another perspective.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Welp now that this is all said and done it will be interesting to see how many people turn out for a Black Panther #2 or Capt Marvel #2 that isnt being bolstered by 10 yrs of build up to the Avengers.

It will also be interesting to see if Disney really slows down on theater released movies if it can just pump its content into your house via their streaming channel. They already have Star Wars and Marvel TV in production to release on DisneyPlus.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
True. But I think from a cinematic point of view, they needed him to 'not come back' in order to convey that idea to the audience. Otherwise he comes back old on the jump pad and it might take a bit for the audience to piece together what happened. The way they did it, the seed of him not returning is already planted in the viewer's mind when we see the old Cap. Perhaps not the cleanest in terms of the rules they set up, but cleaner in the way the idea presents itself to the audience
it would have taken about as long as it did this way with Cap explaining everything and it wouldnt have broken the internet with nerds yelling at each other calling people stupid for not understanding quantum time travel because half the population became geniuses watching this movie.

Jive Turkey

Karen
it would have taken about as long as it did this way with Cap explaining everything and it wouldnt have broken the internet with nerds yelling at each other calling people stupid for not understanding quantum time travel because half the population became geniuses watching this movie.

By pacing, I don't mean the time it takes to explain it. I mean plopping expository dialogue down in the middle of your emotional resolution is a great way to kill the emotional impact of the scene.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol
So you're not just an actress, you're a director, too. Do you have any aspirations to direct an MCU movie?
Totally. I mean, for me, whether it's acting or directing, it's about story. And I've always been incredibly impressed with Marvel's ability to talk about very difficult subject matters; whether it's internal human condition stuff or worldwide issues, through the metaphor of superheroes and aliens in space. I feel like they've become such a powerful tool of connection that of course it's something I would love to tackle eventually, given the right story. Because, just on the acting side of Captain Marvel, I worked on it for two years. And I think it's even longer when you're writing and directing a Marvel movie. So it has to be a story that you really feel passionate in your gut that it's undeniable and will carry you through for a couple years.

Makes sense. OK, two more questions for you. If Carol were to show up in another MCU film like Thor: Ragnarock, which was kind of a buddy movie between Hulk and Thor, what character would you want to team up with?
I'm still really into this idea of an all-female Avengers movie. Getting all the women together and getting them to work as a team ... would be so powerful and iconic. Just because having just seen Avengers: Endgame, getting to see all of those characters on screen, you realize the beauty of these new superhero movies is that everybody has their own special skills they bring to the table. Their own, you know, superpower. And to see women work together, and in that way as a team, is not something we've seen enough of on screen.

• 4Barf
  • 4Worf
  • 3Picard
Reactions: 11 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
lol
So you're not just an actress, you're a director, too. Do you have any aspirations to direct an MCU movie?
Totally. I mean, for me, whether it's acting or directing, it's about story. And I've always been incredibly impressed with Marvel's ability to talk about very difficult subject matters; whether it's internal human condition stuff or worldwide issues, through the metaphor of superheroes and aliens in space. I feel like they've become such a powerful tool of connection that of course it's something I would love to tackle eventually, given the right story. Because, just on the acting side of Captain Marvel, I worked on it for two years. And I think it's even longer when you're writing and directing a Marvel movie. So it has to be a story that you really feel passionate in your gut that it's undeniable and will carry you through for a couple years.

Makes sense. OK, two more questions for you. If Carol were to show up in another MCU film like Thor: Ragnarock, which was kind of a buddy movie between Hulk and Thor, what character would you want to team up with?
I'm still really into this idea of an all-female Avengers movie. Getting all the women together and getting them to work as a team ... would be so powerful and iconic. Just because having just seen Avengers: Endgame, getting to see all of those characters on screen, you realize the beauty of these new superhero movies is that everybody has their own special skills they bring to the table. Their own, you know, superpower. And to see women work together, and in that way as a team, is not something we've seen enough of on screen.

I sometimes wonder if she signed up for this before whe won that Oscar or was committed to it via something, she knows nothing about these characters and it shows. If I didn’t know better, and I wish I did, I would say she was almost low key trying to get fired for being too feminist or something so she could sue and come out looking Iike a martyr when all she wants is out of a superhero franchise.

It more fun to postulate about then “she’s just vapid cunt”.

• 2Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

LMAO. This is going to blow up in their faces. She can't carry a movie much less an entire franchise. An all woman movie? It worked for Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8!

• 3Like
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
LMAO. This is going to blow up in their faces. She can't carry a movie much less an entire franchise. An all woman movie? It worked for Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8!
I AM TAKING BETS ON HOW LONG BEFORE MARVEL FUCKS UP SUPERHERO MOVIE CATEGORY

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its like she's secret trolling everyone. she's jizzing herself over the dumbest scene of this movie and demanding there be more of it. that bit about all women and only women working together is folly. bitches do not get along. you get 2 bitches in a room, they're best friends. you get 3 and one will talk shit about at least one of them.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
its like she's secret trolling everyone. she's jizzing herself over the dumbest scene of this movie and demanding there be more of it. that bit about all women and only women working together is folly. bitches do not get along. you get 2 bitches in a room, they're best friends. you get 3 and one will talk shit about at least one of them.

Need the true facts emoji in here for this post.

• 2Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

Well, female focused movies can work, just not when that's the only thing the movie is built on. In the same years Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8 came out, so did Annihilation and Widows. However, those 2 movies were just advertised on their merits and not LOOK AT HOW ALL THE MAIN CHARACTERS ARE WOMEN.

• 2Like