Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Im at like lv 8 and I still do not see the appeal of the wizzard. Yes hes got some AOE nukes, but I honestly use him more for hastes and slows rather than aoe nukes which are highly situational. Basically an opening barrage, but when the fight continues and my melee are in range of the mobs, he becomes rather useless other than his buffs/debuffs/catrips. At this point im wondering weather to change him out for another melee. Melee is just so strong in this game especially with the movement options like jump and the misty step or whatever items they have, movement is a non issue. Most are high AC/HP so they can stand a beating as well. And in a good round a melee can do 2x or more dmg to a mob than the wizzard can. Other than his int check dialogue BS, and some buff/debuff I honestly dont see a need for him. Plus I respecced my cleric to light cleric so she now has a couple of nukes herself. Maybe im just playing him wrong, help me out plz. But im wondering why have him in there with his 20hp hits if not resisted fully, if I can have another melle doing 40+ hp hits per round. Oh yeah, counterspell is a thing too. Hes good at that.

Warlock I tried too and honestly hes a waste of spot. ZDPS, at least at my levels. Sure he can hex but is it really worth having him in group for a hex? Meh, I sidelined him a while ago with his 8-10hp IF HE HITS AT ALL hits.
My Warlock has been feeling pretty underpowered for a few levels now. But, I just hit level 9, got "Minions of Chaos" which allows him to summon an Elemental which is like having a 5th party member. You can summon a Fire, Earth, Water or Air. They have about 110 hps, ability to warp around the map, multi-attack and have a special ability appropriate to their element. This is a massive power upgrade to the class and the overall party.

Is he as good as my Battle Master, Berserker, or Wizard? No, probably not. But I want to see how he holds up at level 12 once his full kit is unlocked.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanadebe

Trakanon Raider
Evoc wizard with enhanced element feat fire is pretty OP at clearing packs, even on tactician. And you can drop those things on your party without it hitting them (unlike most AEs).

And x2 on spirit guardians aura. That thing melts undead in particular. Just be careful not to pop the radiant form around mobs with radiant reflect, or you'll one-shot yourself

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Meh, I sidelined him a while ago with his 8-10hp IF HE HITS AT ALL hits.
i've seen several people say similar things of casters and i don't quite get it. your casters should have the exact same chance of hitting as your melee. the only caveat being that magic weapons can give a + to hit and damage. at early levels it should be dead equal. a lvl 1 fighter with 16 str hitting with a greatsword will have a +5 to hit (+3 from strength, +2 from proficiency). a lvl 1 wizard with 16 int will have IDENTICAL chances to hit with a firebolt, and a lvl 1 warlock with 16 cha will have the exact same chance to hit with eldritch blast.

if those stats aren't equal you've messed up your build.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah and if they are grouped, they are grouped up around your dudes, so do you nuke your team as well? Hmmm, I dont think so. Also anther thing about wiz that I hate is all the enemy just basically B line for him in almost every fight. Hes like a magnet.

Gale at least has a passive (Spell Sculpting, I think?) that allows party members to bypass damage and saving throws from his Evocation spells (and most of the big nukes like Chromatic Orb, Fireball, etc. are Evocation.)

He is very squish and will die without Misty Step, a good tank, or both though, yeah.

j00t

Gale at least has a passive (Spell Sculpting, I think?) that allows party members to bypass damage and saving throws from his Evocation spells (and most of the big nukes like Chromatic Orb, Fireball, etc. are Evocation.)

He is very squish and will die without Misty Step, a good tank, or both though, yeah.
that's not gale specific, that's just an evocation wizard subclass thing. if you pick a different subclass, you don't get that

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
i've seen several people say similar things of casters and i don't quite get it. your casters should have the exact same chance of hitting as your melee. the only caveat being that magic weapons can give a + to hit and damage. at early levels it should be dead equal. a lvl 1 fighter with 16 str hitting with a greatsword will have a +5 to hit (+3 from strength, +2 from proficiency). a lvl 1 wizard with 16 int will have IDENTICAL chances to hit with a firebolt, and a lvl 1 warlock with 16 cha will have the exact same chance to hit with eldritch blast.

if those stats aren't equal you've messed up your build.
What do you mean messed up my build, like how? Its not like they give you 100 options when you level up lol. Anyway, from MY experience in THIS GAME, his attacks dont do shit compared to my melee. I dont see those warlock 30HP hits like stated above, lol.

And I will have to check up on that spell sculpting thing on Gale. It could be a game changer.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Lae'zel shaves her pussy. Any of these chicks sporting a big bush?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ome

Molten Core Raider
The movement in this game is insane especially Larians version of 5e JUMP. That being said I love Karlach Hulk Smashing all over the battlefield while ushering the words Poor Fucker!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

What do you mean messed up my build, like how? Its not like they give you 100 options when you level up lol. Anyway, from MY experience in THIS GAME, his attacks dont do shit compared to my melee. I dont see those warlock 30HP hits like stated above, lol.

And I will have to check up on that spell sculpting thing on Gale. It could be a game changer.
i mean just like i said. if your wizard has 16-17 int, at lvl 1 his spell attack will be +5. a fighter at lvl 1 with 16-17 str will have a +5 to his melee attack. if those numbers are the same, then your fighter and your wizard should be hitting roughly equally. for people who are more familiar with pathfinder or bg1 and 2, i suppose it's possible that instead of using cantrips like firebolt or ray of frost, you're just using a bow or crossbow or something, and then, yeah, you're chance to hit is going to be pretty low comparatively because wizards generally don't put more than 14 into dex (though i did play with a wizard who had more dex than int and... good lord... he was legitimately walking around with 29 AC and then also had unlimited shields so another +6 AC on top of that.)

if your characters primary stats are equal, then there shouldn't be some huge disparity between actually hitting your targets. of course damage is going to differ some, just because of the nature of what weapon or spell they are using.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
i mean just like i said. if your wizard has 16-17 int, at lvl 1 his spell attack will be +5. a fighter at lvl 1 with 16-17 str will have a +5 to his melee attack. if those numbers are the same, then your fighter and your wizard should be hitting roughly equally. for people who are more familiar with pathfinder or bg1 and 2, i suppose it's possible that instead of using cantrips like firebolt or ray of frost, you're just using a bow or crossbow or something, and then, yeah, you're chance to hit is going to be pretty low comparatively because wizards generally don't put more than 14 into dex (though i did play with a wizard who had more dex than int and... good lord... he was legitimately walking around with 29 AC and then also had unlimited shields so another +6 AC on top of that.)

if your characters primary stats are equal, then there shouldn't be some huge disparity between actually hitting your targets. of course damage is going to differ some, just because of the nature of what weapon or spell they are using.
I see what you mean, but like who would build his wizzard with gimped INT, that seem silly and im kinda upset that you think that I did that, or use bows with my wizzard, lol. . But in game its just not my experience with magic and chance to hit wise. It seems like for whatever reason melee hits way more often than magic does. If you compoare, say a fighter, to a wizzard. I will have to look into that evocation thing and hitting your party members, that could be a game changer though. Because often times when the fight progresses and mobs are around my melee and cleric, I would never fire off a aoe nuke, but now knowing this I might try. Is this something a stock dale has or do I have to rebuild him from scratch?

• 1Seriously?

j00t

I see what you mean, but like who would build his wizzard with gimped INT, that seem silly and im kinda upset that you think that I did that, or use bows with my wizzard, lol. . But in game its just not my experience with magic and chance to hit wise. It seems like for whatever reason melee hits way more often than magic does. If you compoare, say a fighter, to a wizzard. I will have to look into that evocation thing and hitting your party members, that could be a game changer though. Because often times when the fight progresses and mobs are around my melee and cleric, I would never fire off a aoe nuke, but now knowing this I might try. Is this something a stock dale has or do I have to rebuild him from scratch?
yeah, there are good wizard subclasses so a lot of people skip out on evocation, but i find it to be the most overall useful. it's even better in bg3 because in tabletop it just causes your allies to automaticaly save, but still take half damage. in bg3 they just outright take no damage.

edit: i also think it's less useful in tabletop because there is less combat, and it's generally a lot easier to avoid your party members specifically because you have a live DM actively making plans and adapting to the situation, where as in bg3 the AI is basically just telling it to run out of grease at all costs and if no grease, run to the party's weakest player no matter what.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I am having fun with my tavern brawler monk. Being able to jump all over the place, shove anyone off of ledges and throw just about anything lying around has been great.

I am a total glass cannon and my stats are being stretched harder than a pair of ogre panties, but I punch gud.

Final build will probably be monk 9, thief 3. (Or monk 6, thief 4, fighter 2.)

Stats: 20str, 14 dex, 10con, 8int, 16(18)wis, 8 cha.

Each punch should eventually be doing 1d8+1d4+13 damage without any items for the first option and 1d6+1d4+14 damage for the second.

With no resources spent it can do that 4 times a round. For 2 ki points it can do 6 attacks. For 3 ki and wholeness of body it can do 8 attacks and with the fighter build, for 3 ki, wholeness of body and action surge it can do 10 attacks.

Party is Karlach as a battle Master fighter, shadowheart as tempest cleric and astarion is the party face as an assassin with all the cha skills and expertise in perception and slight of hand that might go gloomstalker.

Astarion really can be the out of combat catchall character with every social/exploration skill covered.

Otto

367485653_3593591017632429_6281676897452074333_n.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Im at like lv 8 and I still do not see the appeal of the wizzard. Yes hes got some AOE nukes, but I honestly use him more for hastes and slows rather than aoe nukes which are highly situational. Basically an opening barrage, but when the fight continues and my melee are in range of the mobs, he becomes rather useless other than his buffs/debuffs/catrips. At this point im wondering weather to change him out for another melee. Melee is just so strong in this game especially with the movement options like jump and the misty step or whatever items they have, movement is a non issue. Most are high AC/HP so they can stand a beating as well. And in a good round a melee can do 2x or more dmg to a mob than the wizzard can. Other than his int check dialogue BS, and some buff/debuff I honestly dont see a need for him. Plus I respecced my cleric to light cleric so she now has a couple of nukes herself. Maybe im just playing him wrong, help me out plz. But im wondering why have him in there with his 20hp hits if not resisted fully, if I can have another melle doing 40+ hp hits per round. Oh yeah, counterspell is a thing too. Hes good at that.

Warlock I tried too and honestly hes a waste of spot. ZDPS, at least at my levels. Sure he can hex but is it really worth having him in group for a hex? Meh, I sidelined him a while ago with his 8-10hp IF HE HITS AT ALL hits.
Warlock is good so far. He is a decent melee who can also cast lots of AOE spells (hunger of hadar, storm of daggers). You can do this while still being okay melee is the strength. Lvl 5 with deepened pact he gets 2 attacks per round too.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
1d10 base
+5 Agonizing Blast
+1d6 Hex
+1 from lightning charges (Spellsparkler, etc.)
+5 Blue/Bronze Draconic Sorc elemental affinity (because you just dealt lightning damage with charges)
+5 from Agonizing Blast again (bug? with lightning charges)
+1d6 from Hex again (same bug ^)
+5 Potent Robe

= ~33.5 damage

Up to 9 of them at L10, with haste and quicken.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Well damn

Spoiler for act 1 thing/item I missed.

The three ogres. Win the dialogue with them, and you get the horn to summon them. I never used it out of fear they would also kill NPCs I wanted alive, but if you kill them (or use and kill I suppose), the smart one is smart for a reason. He has an item (head) that sets int to 17 so you can respec an int character, set int to 8, use points for other stats and still have 17 int. Same I did for some set dex to 18 gloves I got. Apparently you can also pickpocket the item from him and he turns into a regular ogre.